The Student Room Group

Told off in an exam for smelling too much like coconut?

I had my language mock this morning and an invigilator thought it was crucial enough to leave a note of my desk during it stating
'don't worry you're not in trouble but please speak to an invigilator after the exam'

Anyway when it finished an invigilator approached me nd asked
'Are you wearing perfume?'
like I had no idea what was going on and just awkwardly laughed thinking she was going to ask what it was or something but then she turns slightly more peristant
'is it coconut? It smells very coconutty'
and like I'm so confused I didn't put a lot on at all
'we are going to have to reconsider the seating arrangements because of you and rearrange the seating plan'

Like what???? What was that about?? Its artifical and I don't see why a body spray would contain any actual coconut in case of allergies

I have no idea what this is about does anyone have any insight on this? I didn't know smelling 'too much like coconut' was against the rules? I asked my friends and they said they could only smell it if they came super close to me and smelt me directly?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Roseln
I had my language mock this morning and an invigilator thought it was crucial enough to leave a note of my desk during it stating 'don't worry you're not in trouble but please speak to an invigilator after the exam' and I totally stressed about it the rest of my examAnyway when it finished an invigilator approached me nd asked 'Are you wearing perfume?' like I had no idea what was going on and just awkwardly laughed thinking she was going to ask what it was or something but then she turns slightly more peristant'is it coconut? It smells very coconutty' and like I'm so confused I didn't put a lot on at all'we are going to have to reconsider the seating arrangements because of you and rearrange the seating plan'Like what???? What was that about?? Its artifical and I don't see why a body spray would contain any actual coconut in case of allergies and I was sat near my friends apart from this one girl who has a little something against me but I'm sure she would've have complained? I have no idea what this is about does anyone have any insight on this? I didn't know smelling 'too much like coconut' was against the rules? I asked my friends and they said they could only smell it if they came super close to me and smelt me directly?

Sorry this came out in such a huge block of text I literally just made an account to ask this question because no one I know has a clue what this was about
Eh, coconut is a lovely aroma, it is impossible to smell to coconutty in my book.
Reply 3
The invigilator says I can challenge that for you :wink:
Original post by KiwiBanana22
Eh, coconut is a lovely aroma, it is impossible to smell to coconutty in my book.
Madness. What about all the guys who douse themselves in half a can of Lynx everyday? Surely that'd be a more distracting smell than coconut, bc I can't see how body spray would be more of an issue than the scent being a distraction (though, with coconut, a pleasant one :biggrin:)
Original post by Roseln
I had my language mock this morning and an invigilator thought it was crucial enough to leave a note of my desk during it stating
'don't worry you're not in trouble but please speak to an invigilator after the exam'

like I had no idea what was going on and just awkwardly laughed thinking she was going to ask what it was or something but then she turns slightly more peristant
'we are going to have to reconsider the seating arrangements because of you and rearrange the seating plan'

Like what???? What was that about?? Its artifical and I don't see why a body spray would contain any actual coconut in case of allergies

I have no idea what this is about does anyone have any insight on this? I didn't know smelling 'too much like coconut' was against the rules? I asked my friends and they said they could only smell it if they came super close to me and smelt me directly?

Just let it go.
Wear a less perfumed body spray.
Start talking about harassment if they object to your exotic fragrance in future. It's a whole lot better than showing up reeking of sweat, ****, alcohol or all three.
Original post by Roseln
The invigilator says I can challenge that for you :wink:
Reply 7
<<coconutty>>
I like this word.
Reply 8
Yeah but what makes the whole experience worse is that I had about 2 people chewing gum throughout the exam next to me which was kinda gross but like did they get told off? No
Did my coconutty self?
Yes and it was quite embarassing
Original post by velvethopes
Madness. What about all the guys who douse themselves in half a can of Lynx everyday? Surely that'd be a more distracting smell than coconut, bc I can't see how body spray would be more of an issue than the scent being a distraction (though, with coconut, a pleasant one :biggrin:)
We've all been there.
I’d douse myself in coconut oil and bring 5 coconuts to the next exam, and then get the invigilator chained to my desk.
Yes, a floral garland round the neck, 2 coconut shells made into a bra and enter the room singing "I've got a lover-ly bunch of coconuts". That will piss them right off!
Original post by RazzzBerries
I’d douse myself in coconut oil and bring 5 coconuts to the next exam, and then get the invigilator chained to my desk.
Reply 12
This is my favourite ever thread title
Original post by Sinnoh
This is my favourite ever thread title

The funniest bit was that it wasn’t even click bait 😂
Tbh I've experienced being around people who smell very strongly of coconut and I don't like it. I don't know why it smells so strong.
Original post by RazzzBerries

Ditto.

I find the whole situation very odd.
Sounds like someone next to you/ around you complained
I've had to have words with an invigilator because her perfume was over-powering and students complained. Shea wouldn't tone it down and she left soon after. Never had a problem with a candidate being too coconutty though.
Original post by Roseln

Crazy
if you complain they might put a bounty on your head

:getmecoat:

Quick Reply

Latest