The Student Room Group

My dark circles look like bruises

I have deep set eyes so my undereyes are very hollow and you can see the outline of my eye socket, but the worst part by far is the dark pigmentation lining it. They're dark purple/blue and sometimes even look completely black. I remember this one time I tried putting black eyeshadow there when I was like 13 to 'look ill' to get a day off and it literally made no difference, that's how dark they are. I'm extremely pale so my dark circles are very striking and honestly quite scary to look at. In school I had teachers call childline on me and direct me to GPs because they were worried about me. I'm 18 now and still have this problem no matter how much I sleep, in fact I sleep too much (10-13 hours per night) which makes them worse. I'm also starting to get really deep wrinkles, as deep as the folds of my eye (eyelid folds or whatever) but there's 4 of them under each eye. I can't go to the GP because when I go for any cosmetic concerns I always get laughed at by them and told to not waste their time. Colour correcting doesn't help me, no concealer has helped, I can't use powder because of the wrinkles. Please help me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Be you bro. It’s a part of your life and honestly I doubt anyone cares. If people don’t like you for you don’t bother with them. Just live your life, your appearance doesn’t matter.
Reply 2
Original post by Amanhoq
Be you bro. It’s a part of your life and honestly I doubt anyone cares. If people don’t like you for you don’t bother with them. Just live your life, your appearance doesn’t matter.

Well it's clearly bothering me so that's not really helpful... It raises eyebrows because people think I'm unhealthy, don't sleep enough, or do drugs. I was recently asked by my form tutor if I do drugs because he was concerned about my eyes. And I want to be a primary school teacher so looking like this just isn't appropriate.
Eat healthily and exercise, sleep less, wear make-up to cover them up. Not sure there is any other advice we can give.
Reply 4
Did you not read my post? Concealer doesn't cover black.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Eat healthily and exercise, sleep less, wear make-up to cover them up. Not sure there is any other advice we can give.

I've been doing this for years
Original post by YasudaSayo
I've been doing this for years

Good.
Did you not read my post? Concealer doesn't cover black.

No need to be rude...

Have you tried asking for advice from make-up places? They might be able to give you samples of stuff to try.
same problem - but not that extreme. it just makes me look tired. its due to genetics but people don't get it and think its because you don't sleep enough but oh well i dont wear makeup merely becasue i dont know how to and it can actually make your skin worse. im telling you most of the girls that wear makeup now are really really insecure and when the take it off its like they are a whole diffferent person which is embarassing. Don't try cover it because its long and just a big deception to some people which will make you feel even more insecure. You cant change it. If you do decide to wear makeup, tbh i don't understand why it would still show regardless of how bad it is, it will still cover up if you know how to. like i said , dont know much about makeup but there must be a way. know you feel insecure about it but you dont want to look too different without makeup. what do your parents and friends think? May i ask what ethnicity? :smile: :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
again like i said in my post, colour corrector doesn't make a difference because my dark circles are literally black
Reply 10
No need to be rude...

Have you tried asking for advice from make-up places? They might be able to give you samples of stuff to try.

im not being rude at all, just frustrated that i have to repeat myself. i don't need samples, ive probably spent £500+ on different concealers, and i dont need 'makeup tips' either, my problem is more than just cosmetic
Reply 11
Original post by anon123a
same problem - but not that extreme. it just makes me look tired. its due to genetics but people don't get it and think its because you don't sleep enough but oh well i dont wear makeup merely becasue i dont know how to and it can actually make your skin worse. im telling you most of the girls that wear makeup now are really really insecure and when the take it off its like they are a whole diffferent person which is embarassing. Don't try cover it because its long and just a big deception to some people which will make you feel even more insecure. You cant change it. If you do decide to wear makeup, tbh i don't understand why it would still show regardless of how bad it is, it will still cover up if you know how to. like i said , dont know much about makeup but there must be a way. know you feel insecure about it but you dont want to look too different without makeup. what do your parents and friends think? May i ask what ethnicity? :smile: :smile:

I have to worry about it because like I said in my post, people are worried about my health and suspect that I do drugs. And I want to be a primary school teacher so looking like this isn't acceptable. My ethnicity is white, I am extremely pale, I've never found a foundation pale enough for me so I have to use a white mixer. And my dark circles are black, so black that putting black eyeshadow on them makes no difference to how they look. Hope that gives you a better idea.
im not being rude at all, just frustrated that i have to repeat myself. i don't need samples, ive probably spent £500+ on different concealers, and i dont need 'makeup tips' either, my problem is more than just cosmetic

What advice were you hoping we could give you?
Reply 13

I don't know, preferably something I haven't already thought of / am aware of.

isn't it? What else can we say other than comfort you about it?
Are you veggie/vegan? Just asking because I read somewhere that low iron levels can cause dark circles. Might be rubbish though.
Reply 16
Original post by SanityGone
Are you veggie/vegan? Just asking because I read somewhere that low iron levels can cause dark circles. Might be rubbish though.

nope i could never hahaha meat is my only pleasure in life
Try cucumber and lemon eye mask or bio oil to even out skin tone...it really helps i suffered from really bad dark circles and they have improved so much
hope it helps n let me know:smile:
Reply 18
I have deep set eyes so my undereyes are very hollow and you can see the outline of my eye socket, but the worst part by far is the dark pigmentation lining it. They're dark purple/blue and sometimes even look completely black. I remember this one time I tried putting black eyeshadow there when I was like 13 to 'look ill' to get a day off and it literally made no difference, that's how dark they are. I'm extremely pale so my dark circles are very striking and honestly quite scary to look at. In school I had teachers call childline on me and direct me to GPs because they were worried about me. I'm 18 now and still have this problem no matter how much I sleep, in fact I sleep too much (10-13 hours per night) which makes them worse. I'm also starting to get really deep wrinkles, as deep as the folds of my eye (eyelid folds or whatever) but there's 4 of them under each eye. I can't go to the GP because when I go for any cosmetic concerns I always get laughed at by them and told to not waste their time. Colour correcting doesn't help me, no concealer has helped, I can't use powder because of the wrinkles. Please help me.

That's ********. A good concealer will cover nearly everything. Just get something like Nars radiant creamy concealer.
It's probably because your skin is very pale.
(edited 4 years ago)

Have you heard of tear trough filler? I had this issue but maybe not as extreme, and it has seriously helped me, my eyes are so much better. It is expensive but worth it, changed my whole face. Google it, it’s not painful either.

Quick Reply

Latest