The Student Room Group

Give NI a referendum to sort out Brexit mess?

Give a referendum to NI to ask whether they want to join a united Ireland or remain a part of the UK with the warning if they choose to remain then a hard border will be necessary. What thinkest thou?
Reply 1
Original post by Croquet
Give a referendum to NI to ask whether they want to join a united Ireland or remain a part of the UK with the warning if they choose to remain then a hard border will be necessary. What thinkest thou?

Maybe Ireland would want a say in that...?
Reply 2
I don't think there would much objection to the idea of a United Ireland. I should amend the original proposition to say, if the UK should choose to leave the customs union then a hard border will be necessary.
Reply 3
Original post by Croquet
I don't think there would much objection to the idea of a United Ireland.

Wanna bet?
Reply 4
Not from Ireland or the Irish Government, no. I mean Leo Varadkar has floated the idea already.
Its high time for a United Ireland, not helpful to have a border down the island - the Republic should seek to join the UK as soon as possible :smile:

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Croquet
Not from Ireland or the Irish Government, no. I mean Leo Varadkar has floated the idea already.

dont think he should be meddling in the internal affairs of the UK - the Government alone must make the call
Reply 7
Original post by Croquet

The Northern Ireland electorate has already given its decision. In the 2017 election the DUP vote share increased by 12% with a clear win.

Far from Brexit producing a nationalist surge, it produced exactly the opposite in NI.

If a hard border is required then so be it.
Reply 8
Original post by Croquet
I don't think there would much objection to the idea of a United Ireland.

Not familiar with the recent history of Norn Iron then?
NI and their pettty outdated religion conflicts and issue screwing Brexit for the rest of the UK. Just join with Ireland and save us all the trouble please. Will make life easier for everyone. If you want to hold dual citizenship the UK still allows that so whats the problem.
Reply 10
Stop your project fear mate.

Original post by QE2
Not familiar with the recent history of Norn Iron then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending