The Student Room Group

Turnitin Failure

My essay was due in on 11/03/2019 at 11:55pm. Turnitin failed and wouldn't let me upload this 5 minuets before the deadline.
I emailed this to my tutor my work, but now he's saying he can't accept my work, despite it being a system failure.

What can I do and has this happened to anyone else?
Original post by FayeRop
My essay was due in on 11/03/2019 at 11:55pm. Turnitin failed and wouldn't let me upload this 5 minuets before the deadline.
I emailed this to my tutor my work, but now he's saying he can't accept my work, despite it being a system failure.

Normally, I would try to finish a essay and upload it a few hours (at least) before the deadline. You never know what will happen, e.g. your laptop breaks or like what happened to you, Turnitin has a problem. Is your tutor aware that there was a problem with Turnitin (through your explanation or screenshots)? It is up to the tutor's discretion whether they will allow your work to be accepted or not. If they state they will not mark it, then there isn't much that can be done.
Reply 2
Original post by FayeRop

Did you get a screenshot of the Turnitin failure that you can show your tutor? An error message with some evidence of time would be helpful. Alternatively, contact Turnitin and request evidence of the system failure at the time you had the problem. I would have thought that most institutions would allow late work with evidence of this nature.
If you have evidence of the system failure, and emailed it to your lecturer before the deadline, I can't see why it should be a problem. If your lecturer still refuses to mark it, you might have to see whether you can take it further or if you have to accept it.
Original post by FayeRop

I can't speak for every uni but I know at Exeter it says on the site that a failure of Turnitin is no excuse for an essay to be handed in late since they expect people to try to submit their essays in plenty of time. It makes me worry for my son who studies there, as he always does everything last minute
Original post by harrysbar
I can't speak for every uni but I know at Exeter it says on the site that a failure of Turnitin is no excuse for an essay to be handed in late since they expect people to try to submit their essays in plenty of time. It makes me worry for my son who studies there, as he always does everything last minute

My university had a similar policy, however there were some exceptions: if Turnitin is down for more than 24 hours continuously, if the error affects everyone (including the lecturer's ability to access submissions) and isn't just an error with your individual uni account or internet connection, and if there's a power cut or other 'natural' event that affects access to online systems.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending