The Student Room Group

PHD in Tourism

I am going to university in september to study tourism management. I am aiming to get a first. If i complete a PHD in tourism what would that mean i could become and my job prospects
Original post by travelcollegeguy
I am going to university in september to study tourism management. I am aiming to get a first. If i complete a PHD in tourism what would that mean i could become and my job prospects

A PhD doesn't give you an opening into more advanced jobs except in a few areas. Primarily it enables you to be an academic and do further research. I very much doubt it would open any doors in the tourism sector, except perhaps if you did it 10-15 year sinto a career and could add it to practical experience to enter an academic role.
A PhD in tourism will give you debt but not much else. It's hardly the most desirable field for the private sector and there are a very limited number of universities that have a tourism department so it probably wouldn't even lead to a job in academia.
Original post by AlexS101
A PhD in tourism will give you debt but not much else. It's hardly the most desirable field for the private sector and there are a very limited number of universities that have a tourism department so it probably wouldn't even lead to a job in academia.

Um I think you will find there are alot of universites that have it. And there are alot of research methods that you have to think about as well such as grographyand all of that

Sure, if you've got upwards of 100k to spend on it, and you want to be an academic afterwards.
Original post by threeportdrift
Sure, if you've got upwards of 100k to spend on it, and you want to be an academic afterwards.

yes that's what i want to do become an academic. I started off at entry 3 so to be told by my tutor at college on a level 3 main course that i could achieve that is amazing
It seems a little bit pointless to me, but you do what makes you happy at the end of the day.
yes that's what i want to do become an academic. I started off at entry 3 so to be told by my tutor at college on a level 3 main course that i could achieve that is amazing

Sorry to be blunt but you're not an academic. Sounds like youve done well, but someone with an academic background would have gcses and a levels. If you've not been able to do those then you're not academic, well I don't think so anyway.

A PhD in tourism sounds very Mickey mousey to me. You would never be able to afford it, waste of money and you'd be better off getting a job.
academic can be anybody
academic can be anybody

Well no, an academic can't mean anyone. Look up the definition. :biggrin:

Travel and Tourism would be more of a vocational subject, preparing you for a job afterwards. I guess with that sort of degree youd need to go out and work first and get experience before being a teacher.
(edited 5 years ago)
i just find it so exciting because i love the subject i mean look at this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bv5A47nDOE
i just find it so exciting because i love the subject i mean look at this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bv5A47nDOE

You've not done your degree yet. And its at an American University, which would wouldn't be cheap. How old are you 26? Your degree course would be 4 years, and another few years at least to go on to study a PhD. When are you planning to work to pay for such an expensive PhD?

Don't mean to burst your bubble but to get into travel and tourism you don't need a PhD.
Does a masters come first because in some cases I have seen you can get a first and go on a phd after
Original post by SilverBreeze
You've not done your degree yet. And its at an American University, which would wouldn't be cheap. How old are you 26? Your degree course would be 4 years, and another few years at least to go on to study a PhD. When are you planning to work to pay for such an expensive PhD?

Don't mean to burst your bubble but to get into travel and tourism you don't need a PhD.

Well not being rude but I don't care you don't need a PHD. There are alot of research methods that tourism jobs have in events, marketing and tourism in general. I have a small part job in KFC coming up soon which will give me some money and while I am at uni I am planning on working too
Well not being rude but I don't care you don't need a PHD. There are alot of research methods that tourism jobs have in events, marketing and tourism in general. I have a small part job in KFC coming up soon which will give me some money and while I am at uni I am planning on working too

Fair enough. But you'd never earn the money required to go study in the us from a part time job in KFC. Better off looking for postgraduate courses in the UK. Would be a lot cheaper.:wink:
For now, concentrate on school (and uni when you get there). Work out what you want to do career-wise, then in a couple of years think about whether a PhD will help you get there. Any PhD you do won't be in 'tourism', it will be on one very small, very narrow area of research. It could be something in statistics, marketing, geography, business etc. Does that still sound interesting?
Original post by Duncan2012
For now, concentrate on school (and uni when you get there). Work out what you want to do career-wise, then in a couple of years think about whether a PhD will help you get there. Any PhD you do won't be in 'tourism', it will be on one very small, very narrow area of research. It could be something in statistics, marketing, geography, business etc. Does that still sound interesting?

Yep 100% it sounds interesting and I would want to find out more about those subject aspects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending