The Student Room Group

Why is Brexit voting always in the evening?

Are MPs too lazy to start their day a little bit early?
It's when most people aren't at work :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by hello_shawn
It's when most people aren't at work :wink:

But why does that matter?
Original post by Turquaz

Look at the order paper and see what's timetabled etc. There has to be time to debate the motion too.
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmagenda/OP190313.pdf

MPs have other things to do as well, before Prayers and after. Some have select committees to attend, constituency surgeries to run, casework to do etc. etc.

You have no idea what time they usually start work (or finish, for that matter)
Original post by Turquaz

Perhaps they like to debate and listen to the arguments before actual voting?
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
Look at the order paper and see what's timetabled etc. There has to be time to debate the motion too.
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmagenda/OP190313.pdf

MPs have other things to do as well, before Prayers and after. Some have select committees to attend, constituency surgeries to run, casework to do etc. etc.

You have no idea what time they usually start work (or finish, for that matter)

Thank you for this info.

Is there any way to find out what prayers are they making these days? Cuz I'd like to figure out if they're being accepted or not by the state the country is currently in.
Original post by Turquaz
Thank you for this info.

Is there any way to find out what prayers are they making these days? Cuz I'd like to figure out if they're being accepted or not by the state the country is currently in.

:rofl:

"Prayers" is really so MPs can reserve their seat in the chamber. Those little square metal brackets above each seat is where MPs put their "Prayer Cards" aka a seat reservation.

"Lord, the God of righteousness and truth, grant to our Queen and her government, to Members of Parliament and all in positions of responsibility, the guidance of your Spirit. May they never lead the nation wrongly through love of power, desire to please, or unworthy ideals but laying aside all private interests and prejudices keep in mind their responsibility to seek to improve the condition of all mankind; so may your kingdom come and your name be hallowed.
Amen."
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi Turquaz!

I can give an anecdotal response to this to give you an idea of why this is the case.

The local MP here (Geraint Davies, LAB) on Friday is hosting their constituency surgery in the morning, and I know someone who is booked in to see him to discuss a local issue. He's sponsoring a Private Members Bill that is provisionally up for its second reading that evening. Obviously the time in between is needed for him, as well as MPs across the UK, to have the opportunity to get from his constituency to Westminster.

I hope that gives you some insight on how MPs spend their time and why Parliament votes so late!

Jamie
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Blue_Cow
:rofl:

"Prayers" is really so MPs can reserve their seat in the chamber. Those little square metal brackets above each seat is where MPs put their "Prayer Cards" aka a seat reservation.

"Lord, the God of righteousness and truth, grant to our Queen and her government, to Members of Parliament and all in positions of responsibility, the guidance of your Spirit. May they never lead the nation wrongly through love of power, desire to please, or unworthy ideals but laying aside all private interests and prejudices keep in mind their responsibility to seek to improve the condition of all mankind; so may your kingdom come and your name be hallowed.
Amen."

If those are the prayers the British MPs are making before the parliamentary sessions then surely they're not making them with proper sincerity. Cuz with those words it's like saying:

"God I'm going to be really bad today but please can you help me somehow. And if you don't then let me tell you the sin won't be upon me". :biggrin:
Original post by Turquaz
If those are the prayers the British MPs are making before the parliamentary sessions then surely they're not making them with proper sincerity. Cuz with those words it's like saying:

"God I'm going to be really bad today but please can you help me somehow. And if you don't then let me tell you the sin won't be upon me". :biggrin:

'You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment'

- Francis Urquhart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending