The Student Room Group

Anyone else having an awful time with Product Design NEA?

My year's area of focus for our P.D NEA is 'Encouraging a Healthy Lifestyle' and I'm really stressed about how vague it is and the fact that they don't just give us a clearer direction for our coursework. I've heard other schools are being given choice between topics and previous years in my school have had simple areas, such as gardening or lighting.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey I actually signed up today just to get help on this exact topic but I'd be happy to help, depending on how far you've gotten on the NEA. My DT teacher picked this topic for us too and apparently our school is really far behind compared to other schools but idk we're just starting to draw up our initial design ideas. My teacher has this example NEA provided by AQA to give an overview of what we should be doing but I've been trawling their website for ages now and I still can't find it, sorry. I can, however give you a brief outline of my first 5 slides if you need to know exactly what needs doing, anyway if anyone knows where I can get sample NEA I'd be really grateful
Hey sorry you aren't enjoying DT , it's a shame cos DT can be a really fun subject (although I guess I'm biased as an undergraduate product design student :tongue:)
If you want help with anything feel free to quote me, am happy to help :smile:
In terms of healthy living I understand your frustration at how vaugue that can be but try to choose it to your advantage to choose something more unique and stand out, consider how it is hard for people with specific physical or mental disabilities to live a healthy lifestyle etc as most people will choose vague categories such as 'children' or 'the elderly'. If you pick a tight problem and market it's easier to design for
aight so update on the sample coursework
Original post by quichemoon
Hey I actually signed up today just to get help on this exact topic but I'd be happy to help, depending on how far you've gotten on the NEA. My DT teacher picked this topic for us too and apparently our school is really far behind compared to other schools but idk we're just starting to draw up our initial design ideas. My teacher has this example NEA provided by AQA to give an overview of what we should be doing but I've been trawling their website for ages now and I still can't find it, sorry. I can, however give you a brief outline of my first 5 slides if you need to know exactly what needs doing, anyway if anyone knows where I can get sample NEA I'd be really grateful

ok so update on this sample coursework uhhh my teacher said they’re not allowed to distribute it to pupils so your teacher may be able to see it from aqa or whatever but they’ll have to show you themselves, if that helps idk, seeing sample nea could help you get some direction with your work
Are you doing the new AQA course? I completed the old A*-C course last year and it was great! The coursework was to make a working iPhone docking station (I got full marks :biggrin:) so its a bit of shame if they’ve scrapped that now. How does the new NEA work then?
I hate this NEA we were given the three topics to choose from and I chose helping developing countries and the teachers at my school expect you to know what you are doing but my whole class has no clue and then they say we are behind but we wouldn't be if we knew what we are supposed to be doing
I wouldn’t say awful but it sure as hell is stressful. I still haven’t finished section D or started E and F. Though apparently the whole country is behind. Besides I’ve currently got full marks for A B and C
idk what each section letter is but i’m still on the design development process and i’ve got a ton of art coursework to be getting on with too ahah
Wtf from what people have been saying you r not having as bad of a time than at my school. Our teachers haven’t told us jack **** about how we r doing I think I’m doing well but how I’m meant to know what I’m doing is prob worth 3 marks. They don’t even mark our stuff they look at how much we have done not what we have actually written and I’ve been getting **** reports cos I had my stuff in late but at least I’m trying hard to make the quality the best I can
yeah lol i was so behind at the beginning of y11 that i got a 3 for dt on my report in the first half term but just keep working at it and ask to see the mark scheme for it so you can try and attain marks in higher brackets
Hi there just seen this thread my son is doing his GCSE prdocut design and is struggling with the course work side which is so vague. His teacher is only now telling me he is falling behind and from this point on he creates a product that meets with the specifications set with his client and fulfilling the portfolio requirements of the exam board. The contextual challenges set for his year are ‘Encouraging a healthy lifestyle’, ‘Supporting developing countries’ and ‘Addressing the needs of people with disabilities’. Don't know what that means or how to help him does he need to cover all 3 or choose 1 of those? Any help would be great as I am so frustrated for him. Thank you
Original post by NicNac98
Hi there just seen this thread my son is doing his GCSE prdocut design and is struggling with the course work side which is so vague. His teacher is only now telling me he is falling behind and from this point on he creates a product that meets with the specifications set with his client and fulfilling the portfolio requirements of the exam board. The contextual challenges set for his year are ‘Encouraging a healthy lifestyle’, ‘Supporting developing countries’ and ‘Addressing the needs of people with disabilities’. Don't know what that means or how to help him does he need to cover all 3 or choose 1 of those? Any help would be great as I am so frustrated for him. Thank you

Hello NicNac :hello:
No i would not think he had to cover all of those areas unless the actual brief says 'encouraging a healthy lifestyle, supporting developing countries and addressing the needs of people with disabilities'. I really dont think it would though as those are rather different areas which would be hard to cover in one product.
Ideally he needs to make a mindmap of each of problems that those groups have e.g for developing countries it might be that it is hard to fetch water or there are issues with hygiene. Keep the problems as broad as possible. For instance if you say it's hard to fetch water with existing water containers you area already limiting your product as a redesign of a water container whereas there may be some other solution.
Bear in mind that with each there are factors to consider, for instance an electrical product might have to be safeguarded against unstable electric currents in developing countries and there might not be a ready source of power, just things like that
Hope that helped in some way, feel free to ask anymore questions :smile:
Reply 12
Still offering any help ?
Original post by rudijow
Still offering any help ?

What do you need help with? :smile:
Original post by CoolCavy
What do you need help with? :smile:

I need help with my A level NEA. I can't think of anything related to my desired courses which are either chemical engineering or mechanical engineering.
Original post by Klandestein
I need help with my A level NEA. I can't think of anything related to my desired courses which are either chemical engineering or mechanical engineering.

I would check with the universities you are applying too but as far as i am aware your project doesnt need to link to anything you would do on a university course, your subject choices and respective grades are what unis judge you on as well as your portfolio if the uni requires one.
Hi, I know this was posted about a year ago so you might not see this but I was wondering, I have just received my project for GCSE dt and I have to come up with initial ideas for teenage lifestyle - although we have been advised by our teacher to choose a lighting project, we still have o come up with some initial ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by ruby_todd
Hi, I know this was posted about a year ago so you might not see this but I was wondering, I have just received my project for GCSE dt and I have to come up with initial ideas for teenage lifestyle - although we have been advised by our teacher to choose a lighting project, we still have o come up with some initial ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any ideas you could do? Any problems that you thought of around your topic? Any potential clients that dont mind helping with your NEA?
Original post by ruby_todd

I suggest dividing the topic into different sections eg. Sport, social media, mental health, social stuff eg. Parties, school and then divide those further until you have lots of different problems from which you can choose from
Original post by Himynameisdaisy
I suggest dividing the topic into different sections eg. Sport, social media, mental health, social stuff eg. Parties, school and then divide those further until you have lots of different problems from which you can choose from

Great advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending