The Student Room Group

US Teacher Trying to Get UK Teaching Job

Hi everyone,

I am a teacher in the United States, having gone through Teach for America and earning a Master of Arts in Teaching. I'm moving to the UK this summer to join my husband through a spouse visa. I already received a NiNo when I was a graduate student in Wales a few years ago, and I've transferred my teaching qualifications to obtain QTS through overseas qualifications.

I'm applying for teaching jobs, but so far nowhere has asked me to interview. :\ I have 3 years as a Spanish teacher and only 1 year as an English teacher. Despite having more experience as a Spanish teacher, I would prefer to teach English (not ESL, but literature and composition) at the secondary level (KS3, KS4, or A-Level). That said, I recognize schools might be turned off by the fact that I only have the 1 year of experience teaching English. I'm wondering if schools have also been wary of my application because I do not yet have the right to work (not until my visa is approved) and cannot come in person for an interview (I'm in the States until July).

If I'm not able to get a teaching job for September, I was wondering if it would be at all useful for me to go through some sort of PGCE program to get a better understanding of the UK educational system and get some more English teaching experience? I know I probably wouldn't go through a proper PGCE program, but is there something like it for teachers already holding QTS?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by smcp892
Hi everyone,

I am a teacher in the United States, having gone through Teach for America and earning a Master of Arts in Teaching. I'm moving to the UK this summer to join my husband through a spouse visa. I already received a NiNo when I was a graduate student in Wales a few years ago, and I've transferred my teaching qualifications to obtain QTS through overseas qualifications.

I'm applying for teaching jobs, but so far nowhere has asked me to interview. :\ I have 3 years as a Spanish teacher and only 1 year as an English teacher. Despite having more experience as a Spanish teacher, I would prefer to teach English (not ESL, but literature and composition) at the secondary level (KS3, KS4, or A-Level). That said, I recognize schools might be turned off by the fact that I only have the 1 year of experience teaching English. I'm wondering if schools have also been wary of my application because I do not yet have the right to work (not until my visa is approved) and cannot come in person for an interview (I'm in the States until July).

If I'm not able to get a teaching job for September, I was wondering if it would be at all useful for me to go through some sort of PGCE program to get a better understanding of the UK educational system and get some more English teaching experience? I know I probably wouldn't go through a proper PGCE program, but is there something like it for teachers already holding QTS?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

You are doing the right things, you will be in a difficult situation due to being up against English candidates. If you do not get a teaching job for September, I would strongly advise you to look into supply work. You already have QTS, you need to build up your experience in English at secondary level. Sign up for a supply agency and teach supply for MFL and English, you will also get your foot in the door with schools that you visit frequently and this will provide you with good contacts when applying for jobs in the local area.
I think it's probably your current circumstances rather than your background that's the problem. April / May is the date that most teachers will be handing in their notices for September. Not many heads will want to wait until July to interview someone for the jobs which are on offer now, and schools aren't keen on interviewing people who haven't visited the school first either.

Seeing what's around when you arrive in the summer (where the schools are going to be potentially quite desperate) or just not worrying about it and doing supply work in September sounds like a better option than trying to apply remotely now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending