The Student Room Group

How common is it to use laptops in lectures?

I do have a laptop that I can take to uni but its on the large and heavy side so I dont think it would be practical to take to lectures. Having said that, people have told me that its almost necessary to use a laptop in lectures to record all the information quicker.

Do most people take laptops to lectures? Would it be okay if i just handwrite notes?
In my lectures there's usually a mix of both. It doesn't really matter as long as you're getting everything you need down.
Original post by blackvoid17
I do have a laptop that I can take to uni but its on the large and heavy side so I dont think it would be practical to take to lectures. Having said that, people have told me that its almost necessary to use a laptop in lectures to record all the information quicker.

Do most people take laptops to lectures? Would it be okay if i just handwrite notes?

I take my laptop because the lecturers say things too fast to write. I noticed at the start of the academic year there were more notepads than laptops, but now there's hardly any notepads and more laptops. Several of my friends have switched to laptops because it's too difficult to keep up trying to write it. However it's up to you and how fast you write.
Reply 3
Original post by blackvoid17

From what I heard, it is quite hard to keep up the pace in lectures. You'll probably suffer from hand cramps as well. Either bare the weight, or by a lighter laptop.
I write in my lectures just cause I find I absorb the information better and find it manageable - as along as you’re a fairly quick writer and can do good short hand notes then it’ll be fine :smile:
In my lectures, laptops were vastly in the minority (usually 2 or 3 people out of around 45). The lecturers didn't go through the content that quickly I guess, either that or I just happened to be part of a cohort who preferred handwritten notes. :dontknow:
Original post by DrawTheLine
I take my laptop because the lecturers say things too fast to write. I noticed at the start of the academic year there were more notepads than laptops, but now there's hardly any notepads and more laptops. Several of my friends have switched to laptops because it's too difficult to keep up trying to write it. However it's up to you and how fast you write.

This may sound stupid but how is typing it on a laptop quicker than writing with pen on paper? I would find typing a bit slower? Can you please explain
Original post by Anonymous
This may sound stupid but how is typing it on a laptop quicker than writing with pen on paper? I would find typing a bit slower? Can you please explain

Typing is much faster for most people

Learning to touch type could be a big help for you. I m dyslexic and dyspraxic so my handwriting is 10-20 words a minutes if i want to be able to read it but since i learnt to touch type, on a good day I can type 60 words a minute, at uni i did also have a dictaphone so could listen back to lectures if needs be.
Original post by claireestelle
Learning to touch type could be a big help for you. I m dyslexic and dyspraxic so my handwriting is 10-20 words a minutes if i want to be able to read it but since i learnt to touch type, on a good day I can type 60 words a minute, at uni i did also have a dictaphone so could listen back to lectures if needs be.

What exactly is touch typing?
I used to handwrite my notes in lectures but the lecturer would talk faster than I could write to I decided to buy a laptop (so did most people). I take my laptop in, and just jot down the main points on power point's note section. I can't make notes and listen at the same time (don't know if i am the only one) so I don't make that many notes tbh. For me lectures are just so that i can understand. I go home and listen to the recordings and make handwritten notes then - i can't learn anything without handwriting it
Reply 11
More common than not in my lectures. I use a laptop more for easier organisation rather than sped
Depends on what works for you best. I used to handwrite additional things that my lecturers said in note form, and then refer to the lecture slides which were usually available on the Student Portal not long after class. If you find a laptop too heavy, you could use something smaller like a tablet if you have one, or you could use something to record your lecturer talking e.g. your phone so you can review what they said after class.
What exactly is touch typing?

Typing without looking at the keys

It's just quicker to press a key instead of moving a pen
Most people on my course take tablets (with Bluetooth keyboards) or laptops. Yr3/biomedical science.

Quick Reply

Latest