The Student Room Group

A-level Maths Study Group

Scroll to see replies

what is the grade boundary for A* ( i know it varies but whats your best guess?)
Jack brown is a life saver. I don't even need to go to my maths lessons anymore...I wish but I still have to
Reply 82
Original post by social_chemist
Jack brown is a life saver. I don't even need to go to my maths lessons anymore...I wish but I still have to

which spec?
Original post by n.345
which spec?

Edexcel but he covers all specs
Original post by Presence
what is the grade boundary for A* ( i know it varies but whats your best guess?)

Around 80 % never gonna be as high as 90%, minimum 70
Do not look at last years new spec grade boundaries, those are inaccurate as only 30 people did it. However, I think it will be 70 percent A star, 60 Percent A and so on for OCR MEI.
Jack Brown makes videos on all specs he bases it on the department of education a level maths spec which is in control of all a level maths specs.
Original post by n.345
which spec?
Reply 87
Same here, how are you finding it? I have found some past papers but there aren't that many
Original post by lucy9y
Hi I'm studying further maths a level on the ocr mei exam board. Does anyone know of any past paper style questions suitable for revision for the mechanics minor especially but also stats minor, algorithms minor or the pure exams??
Original post by gonz02
Same here, how are you finding it? I have found some past papers but there aren't that many

try the ial alevels for maths...those are harder
Original post by Toastiekid

Welcome to the A-level maths study group!:biggrin:

Thought this would be something nice to do especially as a lot of you seem to study a level maths:lol:
This is basically where you can chat to others about the subject whether that be ranting or a good test score or a topic you're finding difficult (though if you're struggling with a question it's better to post it in a separate thread)...
So to break the ice a little, there's a few questions you can answer below:h:

Are you in year 12 or year 13?
What exam board are you on?
Why did you pick maths? Current thoughts on the subject?
Are you doing further maths also; what optional modules are you doing if so?
Out of the topics you've covered so far, what's been your favourite and what has been your least favourite- why?

specifications:
AQA- AS | A-level
AQA FM- AS | A-level
Edexcel- AS | A-level
Edexcel FM- AS | A-level
OCR- AS | A-level
OCR FM- AS | A-level
MEI- AS | A-level
MEI FM- AS | A-level
CIE- 2019 exams | 2020 exams onwards
WJEC- AS/A-level
WJEC FM- AS/A-level

if you know of any good resources that aren't in the list below please feel free to mention them so they can edited into the list!

resources:

Spoiler

I am in yr 13. I love maths though it's a little confusing sometimes...I am studying physics too..so I have to study maths well..I like further trigonometry
Reply 90
Anyone doing edexcel maths and recently done the alevel paper edexcel sent out
Reply 91
Its hard but I am enjoying it. How about you? My worst topic is mechanics at the moment but we haven't finished the course with algorithms yet so i'm not sure how the exam papers will be with that. What are you using to revise mechanics?
Original post by gonz02
How do i join the group study

Original post by Toastiekid

Welcome to the A-level maths study group!:biggrin:

Thought this would be something nice to do especially as a lot of you seem to study a level maths:lol:
This is basically where you can chat to others about the subject whether that be ranting or a good test score or a topic you're finding difficult (though if you're struggling with a question it's better to post it in a separate thread)...
So to break the ice a little, there's a few questions you can answer below:h:

Are you in year 12 or year 13?
What exam board are you on?
Why did you pick maths? Current thoughts on the subject?
Are you doing further maths also; what optional modules are you doing if so?
Out of the topics you've covered so far, what's been your favourite and what has been your least favourite- why?

specifications:
AQA- AS | A-level
AQA FM- AS | A-level
Edexcel- AS | A-level
Edexcel FM- AS | A-level
OCR- AS | A-level
OCR FM- AS | A-level
MEI- AS | A-level
MEI FM- AS | A-level
CIE- 2019 exams | 2020 exams onwards
WJEC- AS/A-level
WJEC FM- AS/A-level

if you know of any good resources that aren't in the list below please feel free to mention them so they can edited into the list!

resources:

Spoiler

I actually started trying some past papers and I am glad to be able to cheer you up they aren't not bad
Original post by lucy9y
Its hard but I am enjoying it. How about you? My worst topic is mechanics at the moment but we haven't finished the course with algorithms yet so i'm not sure how the exam papers will be with that. What are you using to revise mechanics?
Hi does anyone know a YouTuber does videos for the cie mathematics or some sort of revision for the cie mathematics
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 95
That's good as I was a bit worried. I'm just hoping we finished the course soon. How are you finding the a level course in general?
Original post by Djdjdas
I actually started trying some past papers and I am glad to be able to cheer you up they aren't not bad
Reply 96
how did everyone do in their mocks?

Year 13

Edexcel

Like maths

Yes, FP1 and FS1. Though I (half-)did D1 for a year and a bit so I have rudimentary knowledge to spare.

My favourite would probably be the calculus/series in FP1, particularly limits, or PGFs in FS1. Least favourite, barring D1, would probably be mechanics. It just doesn't interest me.

Feel free to tag me for help.
Original post by _gcx

Year 13

Edexcel

Like maths

Yes, FP1 and FS1. Though I (half-)did D1 for a year and a bit so I have rudimentary knowledge to spare.

My favourite would probably be the calculus/series in FP1, particularly limits, or PGFs in FS1. Least favourite, barring D1, would probably be mechanics. It just doesn't interest me.

Feel free to tag me for help.

I really want an A* in maths...what advice or tips would you give me?
Start past papers now.

Quick Reply

Latest