The Student Room Group

what do grade 9 maths students do differently when it comes to revising ?

what do grade 9 maths students do differently when it comes to revising that grade 5/6 students don't do
Reply 1
I don't know the difference as I haven't experienced both but as I seem to be getting grade 9s in Edexcel maths I think it just comes down to practice. I suggest you learn the basics through Mathswatch and then try more challenging questions and if you get it wrong look at the explanation and try to understand it if you fail to understand ask someone who you know who is good at maths to explain it to you then try a similar question- hopefully you'll answer it correctly. Then hope something like the questions you practised comes up and if it's really hard, use your problem-solving skills- if you don't think you got the right answer try the other ones and come back to it (you'll probably understand it on your third reading of the question if it is difficult)
Good luck to everyone aiming for grade 9s:biggrin:
Reply 2
Thank you im on the AQA board i will just keep practising and aim for 215/240 for a 9 it was 201/240 in 2018 so i can't imagine it would go up by more than 15 marks
Original post by Lala143
I don't know the difference as I haven't experienced both but as I seem to be getting grade 9s in Edexcel maths I think it just comes down to practice. I suggest you learn the basics through Mathswatch and then try more challenging questions and if you get it wrong look at the explanation and try to understand it if you fail to understand ask someone who you know who is good at maths to explain it to you then try a similar question- hopefully you'll answer it correctly. Then hope something like the questions you practised comes up and if it's really hard, use your problem-solving skills- if you don't think you got the right answer try the other ones and come back to it (you'll probably understand it on your third reading of the question if it is difficult)
Good luck to everyone aiming for grade 9s:biggrin:
Reply 3
To get my 9 in maths I did that:
Obviously download spec finish it 100% by using revision guide. I don't want to waste time doing thick textbook, I much prefer getting the basic idea really quick so i'm ready to do past papers 2 months before exam.
I focused on January past papers instead of June since they are made for retakesrs or for really smart kids who already knew everything by December, therefore they are much more challenging.
When I did about 20 past papers I used this website to do relevant topics from my specification to answer exam style AS maths questions, I really love this website because all questions are well explained https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/c1-edexcel-tutorials/.
After using this website I found gcse maths a flipin joke.
My exam board was edexcel got 175/200 (9 was 154).
Overall I did aprox 35 past papers.
And I never asked for help for questions I didn't understand, I just come back to them day after day and eventually understood them, now they are encoded in my DNA.
What grade are you on currently?

I had moved schools, so I changed exam boards. As a result, the grades I often got dropped a bit (got a 7 in one test).

What I would say is to first know your exam board. Then, look for the syllabus somewhere -if your school uses a certain website,eg mathswatch that should have it. If not then use seneca and just go scroll through each topic (not in depth, just the title). Make a list of what you don't know. You could confirm your knowledge of the other subjects you're shaky on by doing some questions on them, but definitely don't do questions on topics you are confident on.

From there, just learn the content. 'Understand' is the key term in Maths- unlike most other subjects, you don't need to memorize nearly as much : perhaps a few equations, but that's all. Understand HOW to do each topic. For example, how to do functions. If you don't understand them, there is no shot at scoring marks.

Once you understand everything in the syllabus (which isn't as hard as it sounds), do practice papers. It's commonly said just practice practice practice because that's the best (and probably only) way to ensure success.

Good luck my friend
Find what you’re weakest at and focus on that.

Practice papers

Ask your teachers for help

Good luck!
Reply 6
Im on a 7 currently on AQA maths im going to keep practising some of my strengths within the syllabus are

Quadratic Nth term
Standard form
Box Plots/Histograms
Algebraic proof

and many more

i will keep practising though
Original post by Spherical
What grade are you on currently?

I had moved schools, so I changed exam boards. As a result, the grades I often got dropped a bit (got a 7 in one test).

What I would say is to first know your exam board. Then, look for the syllabus somewhere -if your school uses a certain website,eg mathswatch that should have it. If not then use seneca and just go scroll through each topic (not in depth, just the title). Make a list of what you don't know. You could confirm your knowledge of the other subjects you're shaky on by doing some questions on them, but definitely don't do questions on topics you are confident on.

From there, just learn the content. 'Understand' is the key term in Maths- unlike most other subjects, you don't need to memorize nearly as much : perhaps a few equations, but that's all. Understand HOW to do each topic. For example, how to do functions. If you don't understand them, there is no shot at scoring marks.

Once you understand everything in the syllabus (which isn't as hard as it sounds), do practice papers. It's commonly said just practice practice practice because that's the best (and probably only) way to ensure success.

Good luck my friend

Quick Reply

Latest