The Student Room Group

University Worries

I’ve applied for BA (Hons) Architecture for 2019 entry. I’ve recieved all of my offers and I have visited 4 out of 5 of the universities.

I want to go to university for the independence, the social life and the harsh reality that without a degree it’s difficult to get onto the career ladder.
In Summer ‘18, I went to open days with the vision of Law, come September I scrapped that career, so I looked into Architecture.

I love art and film but I don’t feel a degree in that field would be beneficially enough to constitute £50,000 or what ever incurring costs.
I chose Architecture because it’s a mix of academics and design so it lulled my worries for a while.

I am now rethinking my choice. I don’t want to take a year out because I don’t know what I’ll do. I don’t feel I have a direction in life and I hate it. It makes me anxious and sad.
How many architecture jobs are there, and what are the work conditions like?
Reply 2
Original post by Qup
How many architecture jobs are there, and what are the work conditions like?

a lot ? but architecture is notorious for being a very stressed career :frown:
your point ?
Original post by Ellxe259
a lot ? but architecture is notorious for being a very stressed career :frown:
your point ?

What point? I asked a question.

Okay, did you decide to study architecture because you like it? Your comments seem to suggest that you will drop out of the course, and that you are only doing it for the money. You did mention that you liked art and film though, and you claim to have chosen architecture due to the "academics and design" thing. Um, architecture is not art, and neither is design but do you like digital design? UX, UI, Graphics or Information Design might have been a better option for you then, for many reasons. Plus, they pay well enough and have many jobs available for them due to their high demand in the internet age, so you don't have to worry about money (I hear you could work for Facebook or Google with a degree in either, and they have offices in the UK). In addition to that, I am assuming you think that high salary = good life and success. It doesn't.
Original post by Ellxe259
I’ve applied for BA (Hons) Architecture for 2019 entry. I’ve recieved all of my offers and I have visited 4 out of 5 of the universities.

I want to go to university for the independence, the social life and the harsh reality that without a degree it’s difficult to get onto the career ladder.
In Summer ‘18, I went to open days with the vision of Law, come September I scrapped that career, so I looked into Architecture.

I love art and film but I don’t feel a degree in that field would be beneficially enough to constitute £50,000 or what ever incurring costs.
I chose Architecture because it’s a mix of academics and design so it lulled my worries for a while.

I am now rethinking my choice. I don’t want to take a year out because I don’t know what I’ll do. I don’t feel I have a direction in life and I hate it. It makes me anxious and sad.

Dont be afraid to take a year out to find out what you want to do. It's taken me 5 years (due to personal reasons) for me to reapply when I didn't go the first time but now I know my passion, have built my CV and know exactly what I want to do. Don't just do a degree that you don't want to use. do it for you x
If you’re thinking of studying a creative degree but aren’t sure then consider taking an art and design foundation diploma at a local college or university. It’s a good way to get an idea whether you would be happy studying a design subject full time without committing to a degree. There’s more information here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684

Don’t rush into a degree that you’re unsure about, particularly one as intense as architecture

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending