The Student Room Group

life at university of Sussex, is it made for me ?

heyy, I have applied to Sussex uni and I got my offer, so now I have to make a decision. The thing is that I am looking for a university that is full of life, full of activities, we don't get bored, where the students are nice and have a social life, where teachers take care of students, where the accommodations are good and a uni that is not too far from another city.
Because I am someone that likes to party, like to have lots of friends, fun, be part of many communities, like to shop and go out at night... and of course study.
when I first applied to Sussex I liked it. But now, i started to read some students reviews about it and they are all saying :
- very bad wifi ( i was really surprised, how can a uni full of students, far from their parents and that need to study and communicate with parents don't have good wifi...)
- rooms very small and not modern.
- student support union is here but doesn't care about students and don't organize a thing.
- no parties, karaoke, games night on campus.
- the campus is very boring. Nothing to do, just studying.
- lots of bullying and students thinking they are here to dominate the campus !! ( i can't stand it, can't be in a zone of bad vibes and bad people).

So now I am very confused, I come far from the UK, and my priority is to get a uni that gets me, that can give me the comfort I need and the lifestyle I really wanna have.
so please can someone tell me if these reviews are all correct, and also tell me if I should go to this university or not, if it is made for someone like me, I really don't want to get disappointed about my university experience.
thank you !
Idk about Sussex specifically but the big party unis in student cities are undoubtedly in the north. You know ur Leeds and Newcastle Nottingham Manchester etc it's way cheaper in the north and northern people are a lot nicer I heard
Reply 2
so, you are telling me that going to Leeds uni is better for me than Sussex uni ?
but I heard that life in Leeds is very industrial. everything closes early and it is very cloudy and cold. but they said that the campus itself is amazing. I actually applied there and got an offer too, but since I am someone that like to go out and have lots of fun, I removed Leeds since it is kind of boring? I might be wrong .i need a great nightlife and kind people around me...
Original post by Afterlife?
Idk about Sussex specifically but the big party unis in student cities are undoubtedly in the north. You know ur Leeds and Newcastle Nottingham Manchester etc it's way cheaper in the north and northern people are a lot nicer I heard
Yeah sussex is alright, it can be hit or miss. But it’s down to you as a person, you can go out every night in Brighton if you wanted to, but I would say on the weekend the uni is pretty dead either hung over or can’t be bothered to go out so it can be quiet.

Student union isn’t the best nor are the society’s. Some of them are okay, but most of them don’t meet up that regularly, unless your part of a sports society, which is very social and active so I think you’ll like that.

WiFi, to be fair I find it alright,

Rooms wise, yeah it a bit old but you can make it your own, if you get the right accommodation it’s super modern and nice..

You have a couple of events at Sussex that the society’s put on, but it’s not like an American movie where it’s partys every where,

Bullying wise... I’ve read about it but never seen, Sussex is a sensitive uni so not sure if it’s completely true,
Reply 4
THANK YOU SO MUCH! honestly, u helped me a lot and i hope Sussex will be a good uni for me and I hope that I won't regret my choice
anyway, thank you again!

Original post by Anonymous
Yeah sussex is alright, it can be hit or miss. But it’s down to you as a person, you can go out every night in Brighton if you wanted to, but I would say on the weekend the uni is pretty dead either hung over or can’t be bothered to go out so it can be quiet.

Student union isn’t the best nor are the society’s. Some of them are okay, but most of them don’t meet up that regularly, unless your part of a sports society, which is very social and active so I think you’ll like that.

WiFi, to be fair I find it alright,

Rooms wise, yeah it a bit old but you can make it your own, if you get the right accommodation it’s super modern and nice..

You have a couple of events at Sussex that the society’s put on, but it’s not like an American movie where it’s partys every where,

Bullying wise... I’ve read about it but never seen, Sussex is a sensitive uni so not sure if it’s completely true,
So, any regrets?
Original post by sasyara
heyy, I have applied to Sussex uni and I got my offer, so now I have to make a decision. The thing is that I am looking for a university that is full of life, full of activities, we don't get bored, where the students are nice and have a social life, where teachers take care of students, where the accommodations are good and a uni that is not too far from another city.
Because I am someone that likes to party, like to have lots of friends, fun, be part of many communities, like to shop and go out at night... and of course study.
when I first applied to Sussex I liked it. But now, i started to read some students reviews about it and they are all saying :
- very bad wifi ( i was really surprised, how can a uni full of students, far from their parents and that need to study and communicate with parents don't have good wifi...)
- rooms very small and not modern.
- student support union is here but doesn't care about students and don't organize a thing.
- no parties, karaoke, games night on campus.
- the campus is very boring. Nothing to do, just studying.
- lots of bullying and students thinking they are here to dominate the campus !! ( i can't stand it, can't be in a zone of bad vibes and bad people).

So now I am very confused, I come far from the UK, and my priority is to get a uni that gets me, that can give me the comfort I need and the lifestyle I really wanna have.
so please can someone tell me if these reviews are all correct, and also tell me if I should go to this university or not, if it is made for someone like me, I really don't want to get disappointed about my university experience.
thank you !

Hi sasyara,
First of all, you're in the right place for getting advice on student experience and I hope many other Sussex students will be able to advise you better on the university experience itself. In terms of area however, I'd definitely say there's plenty to do if you're staying near Brighton. We've recently wrote a blog on things to do in the area, you can check it out here: https://bit.ly/3PyXSfB. If you're concerned about accommodation, it may be worth looking at alternative student accommodation, just so you can find something that suits your needs.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending