The Student Room Group

I’m so screwed for GCSEs

Hi!

I just want to start this off by saying that success is relative, so please don’t judge me for the following rant.

I was always an academic girl. Always. A genius? Certainly not. However, I was always predicted A’s.

So far, I’ve only got my hopes on getting A’s and above in 7/9 of my subjects. Whilst this sounds good, its really getting me down. My mock results are as followed:

November 2017:

English Lang: 7
Maths: 5
Triple Science: 6/6
Drama: 4
Sociology: D
Finance: A
Music: A*
History: 7
Geography: 4

March 2018:

English Lang: 9
Maths: 7
Sociology: A
Finance: A*
History: (?) not received yet but is higher than or equal to a 7.

I really, really, need some help in improving my Science, Geography and Drama grades. I’ve gone from being the top of the year in them to nearly the bottom of the class and it’s so distressing for me it’s unreal.

Please help me! I have 5 weeks to go! 😭

p.s. in Drama, the result is only for the exam. I’m predicted A* in the practical sections, but I don’t want these to be dragged down by my awful exam.
Original post by baeornot
Hi!

I just want to start this off by saying that success is relative, so please don’t judge me for the following rant.

I was always an academic girl. Always. A genius? Certainly not. However, I was always predicted A’s.

So far, I’ve only got my hopes on getting A’s and above in 7/9 of my subjects. Whilst this sounds good, its really getting me down. My mock results are as followed:

November 2017:

March 2018:

I really, really, need some help in improving my Science, Geography and Drama grades. I’ve gone from being the top of the year in them to nearly the bottom of the class and it’s so distressing for me it’s unreal.

p.s. in Drama, the result is only for the exam. I’m predicted A* in the practical sections, but I don’t want these to be dragged down by my awful exam.

You have to take your mocks, look at them and work out where and why you lost mark. Is it that you found some topics more difficult than others? In which case you should revisit those sections.

Is it that you knew the answers but didn't answer them in the specific way that they wanted? In which case you need to practice your exam technique l.

And so on.

There's still time to recover so don't worry.
Reply 2
fvk me ur grades are so good
Reply 3
For Drama, is your exam board AQA? Are you doing DNA? Whatever it is, make sure you know the play inside out. Spend ages reading it and analysing it and finding practice questions on the internet. Familiarize yourself with it so much you could practically recite it.

For maths, geography and science, again do practice questions, revise and go over anything you don’t understand. Find revision methods which work for you. Make sure you understand all the material thouroughly rather than just remembering it.

Also, remember not to base your success off other people, it really won’t matter to you later on.

By the way, some of your grades are amazing... any tips for music??
Hi!

November 2017:

March 2018:

Reply 4
Original post by htoombs47
For Drama, is your exam board AQA? Are you doing DNA? Whatever it is, make sure you know the play inside out. Spend ages reading it and analysing it and finding practice questions on the internet. Familiarize yourself with it so much you could practically recite it.

For maths, geography and science, again do practice questions, revise and go over anything you don’t understand. Find revision methods which work for you. Make sure you understand all the material thouroughly rather than just remembering it.

Also, remember not to base your success off other people, it really won’t matter to you later on.

By the way, some of your grades are amazing... any tips for music??

Hi! I’ve actually already done my GCSEs now, but thank you for replying anyways! I’m sure it may help someone else who checks this :smile:

My GCSE results were:

Drama: 9 (how I jumped from a 4 to a 9 idk!!)
History: 8
Music: D*
Sociology: 7
English Literature: 7
Science: 6/6

All I did to improve was revise. Revise. Revise.

Also what board are you doing music with? I did a btec for it as it’s a lot more practical based (which I found fun to do with music) 😂 I’m not too sure if my advice will help a lot if you’re doing gcse :frown:
Reply 5
Hi! I’ve actually already done my GCSEs now, but thank you for replying anyways! I’m sure it may help someone else who checks this :smile:

My GCSE results were:

Drama: 9 (how I jumped from a 4 to a 9 idk!!)
History: 8
Music: D*
Sociology: 7
English Literature: 7
Science: 6/6

All I did to improve was revise. Revise. Revise.

Also what board are you doing music with? I did a btec for it as it’s a lot more practical based (which I found fun to do with music) 😂 I’m not too sure if my advice will help a lot if you’re doing gcse :frown:

Did you feel nervous during the exams? I'm doing my GCSEs this year, and walking into the exam hall that decides your fate onto sixth form feels a bit scary!
Reply 6
Original post by Anthos
Did you feel nervous during the exams? I'm doing my GCSEs this year, and walking into the exam hall that decides your fate onto sixth form feels a bit scary!

I was that nervous, I had a panic attack walking into the first one! After a couple, you honestly get used to it. Just remember that these exams are a way of showing off all of the hard work you’ve done. That’s what helped me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest