The Student Room Group

What can i do with a biomedical sciences degree

I was wondering if after you get your biomedical sciences degree , you would have to apply to a job in the NHS or jobs directly related to the actual course, or would it be possible to get work in pharmaceutical companies or jobs with better pay?
Idk if im asking the question right :/
Also what would be the best paying route to take if i were to finish a biomedical degree?
Original post by ClownPunk
I was wondering if after you get your biomedical sciences degree , you would have to apply to a job in the NHS or jobs directly related to the actual course, or would it be possible to get work in pharmaceutical companies or jobs with better pay?
Also what would be the best paying route to take if i were to finish a biomedical degree?

You're unlikely to get a job in the field straight after an undergrad degree. You will need a masters if not a PhD and then work your way up. To work in the NHS you need an IBMS or HCPC accredited degree.

Hi :smile:

Openings exist in medical research (hospitals, universities or research institutes), the pharmaceutical industry, medical information services, teaching, medical writing and publishing for Biomedical Science graduates.

We offer the course at Bradford and some of our recent graduates have gone on to these jobs:

Biomedical Scientist various NHS trusts
Cytology Screener NHS
Experimental Officer; Lab Technician Covance
Haemostasis Technical Assistant Helena Biosciences Europe
Microbiologist Arla
Scientist Vectura Plc
Teaching Support Technician University of Leeds

Have you seen the NHS website about Biomedical Science degrees and careers? It might help you more.

Becca
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi :smile:

Openings exist in medical research (hospitals, universities or research institutes), the pharmaceutical industry, medical information services, teaching, medical writing and publishing for Biomedical Science graduates.

We offer the course at Bradford and some of our recent graduates have gone on to these jobs:

Biomedical Scientist various NHS trusts
Cytology Screener NHS
Experimental Officer; Lab Technician Covance
Haemostasis Technical Assistant Helena Biosciences Europe
Microbiologist Arla
Scientist Vectura Plc
Teaching Support Technician University of Leeds

Have you seen the NHS website about Biomedical Science degrees and careers? It might help you more.

Becca

Becca, how many of your recent graduates from BSc Biomedical Science have actually gone on to be a Biomedical Scientist at various NHS Trusts. I suspect your including the graduates from your BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science) course in that number, as many Universities do, and therefore contributing to misinformation.

Can you confirm if you have indeed combined that statistics for BSc Biomedical Science and BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science)? I have direct experience of the two programs and BSc Biomedical Science does not qualify somebody to go work as a Biomedical Scientist in a NHS Trust, so the claim that they have gone on to work at various Trust's cannot be correct.
If the course is IBMS accredited that the student is qualified to work in an NHS trust
Original post by Emilybuckler
If the course is IBMS accredited that the student is qualified to work in an NHS trust

False, an IBMS-accredited BSc Biomedical Science degree does not qualify you to work in any role in the NHS that a non-accredited degree would not. The additional HCPC registration is required and not included as part of an IBMS-accredited BSc Biomedical Science degree.
Yes but you can’t apply for the HCPC registration if your degree isn’t accredited by IBMS. Unless you do top up courses. This is just information I’ve read. Apologies if it’s wrong
Reply 7

The irony is you can do anything with a biomedical science degree except go on to be a biomedical scientist. I’ve been trying for two years now and haven’t even been able to get an MLA post. I’ve decided on a different career route now. I say don’t bother. It’s a waste of time and money if I’m being honest. If you really love science that much. Consider medicine. I’m probably going to come under fire for saying this but sometimes the brutal truth is needed.
@Carlos87 did you complete a degree that was IBMS accredited? If not then that’s probably where your problem is. Where did u study?
Reply 9
Yes to all of the above. Accredited degree, lots of extracurricular activities, first class degree. I’ve opted to train as a physician associate now as I’m completely over Biomedical science as a profession. I wouldn’t advocate it to anyone.
Original post by Emilybuckler
@Carlos87 did you complete a degree that was IBMS accredited? If not then that’s probably where your problem is. Where did u study?
Original post by Carlos87
Yes to all of the above. Accredited degree, lots of extracurricular activities, first class degree. I’ve opted to train as a physician associate now as I’m completely over Biomedical science as a profession. I wouldn’t advocate it to anyone.

It's all about the planning. I graduated on the Friday and began a Biomedical Scientist post on the Monday. I knew what I wanted when I chose my University course and made sure I had a version that meant I would be employed afterwards.
You say it’s all about the planning but our university doesn’t allow you to opt for a placement until year two. I did everything I could actually.
Original post by RegisteredBMS
It's all about the planning. I graduated on the Friday and began a Biomedical Scientist post on the Monday. I knew what I wanted when I chose my University course and made sure I had a version that meant I would be employed afterwards.
You say it’s all about the planning but our university doesn’t allow you to opt for a placement until year two. I did everything I could actually.

Your planning began after joining University, my University and course choice ensured I knew I would be a registered BMS from Day 1 after graduation.

Unfortunately, and this applies to most, people just assume a Biomedical Science degree is sufficient and neglect to do any research. I once heard someone proclaiming after she realised she wasn't on the course that included HCPC registration "But nobody ever told me I needed this." Nobody told me either, but Google is a powerful thing.

There are courses where the placement is guaranteed, I advise anybody wanting to be a BMS not to do sandwich courses as the placements for NHS are ridiculously competitive.
Doesn’t really matter now anyway, as I say, Physician Associate studies. I think having a bms degree will give me an advantage to practice medicine.
Original post by RegisteredBMS
Your planning began after joining University, my University and course choice ensured I knew I would be a registered BMS from Day 1 after graduation.

Unfortunately, and this applies to most, people just assume a Biomedical Science degree is sufficient and neglect to do any research. I once heard someone proclaiming after she realised she wasn't on the course that included HCPC registration "But nobody ever told me I needed this." Nobody told me either, but Google is a powerful thing.

There are courses where the placement is guaranteed, I advise anybody wanting to be a BMS not to do sandwich courses as the placements for NHS are ridiculously competitive.
Reply 14
Doesn’t really matter now anyway, as I say, Physician Associate studies. I think having a bms degree will give me an advantage to practice medicine.

Hi,
I’ve just come across this as someone who’s fed up of trying to get my foot in NHS as an MLA to eventually work as BMS. I’m also considering to do physician associate course now. There’s a couple of things bothering me so I wanted to ask you if you got a place on the course? And how are you finding it. Also I’ve heard it’s hard to find the course so how are you managing with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending