The Student Room Group

How do you deal with brain fog?

Pretty sure this is my 717181th post this month talking about lack of focus. Not sure why I randomly have this problem now. But today it has turned from lack of focus to complete brain fog.

Anyways, I’ve worked a lot this week and managed to finish all my work except this dreaded business research thing. I am now sat staring at my work and it feels like I just can’t think.

It has gotten so bad to the point where the school has basically put me in a room (which I’m in right now lmao) and told me I can’t leave until it’s done.

Would be open to hear any thoughts. All input is appreciated :smile:

*EDIT: writing this down helped a lotttt, I am now working normally. So, anyways yeah thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Maybe you are stressed? Maybe you spendtoo much of your time looking at phone screen? Sometimes we can't focus on anything if we also don't sleep properly..Try exercising a bit more regularly and eat healthier because yes it's very annoying hearing about these things constantly but people say it for a reason.. Then again it's just my opinion that you don't have to listen but try to find why you can't focus.
With a nice cup of chamomile tea.

And maybe by getting off TSR.
Also we tend to avoid anything that has to do with things we don't like but I can't possibly know that applies to you as well..
I've resorted to coming here after hours of staring at my assignment with the excuse "if I'm not doing anything might as well"

Good point though, going to attempt to now hahah.
Original post by Notoriety
With a nice cup of chamomile tea.

And maybe by getting off TSR.
Yeah, I think you are right. I think being put under stress, you know in this room and the deadline and such it is not helping. It's usually what we constantly hear that has some degree of truth when it comes to these things, so thank you :heart:
Original post by Sofia8687
Maybe you are stressed? Maybe you spendtoo much of your time looking at phone screen? Sometimes we can't focus on anything if we also don't sleep properly..Try exercising a bit more regularly and eat healthier because yes it's very annoying hearing about these things constantly but people say it for a reason.. Then again it's just my opinion that you don't have to listen but try to find why you can't focus.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LegallyJasmine
I've resorted to coming here after hours of staring at my assignment with the excuse "if I'm not doing anything might as well"

Good point though, going to attempt to now hahah.

When I procrastinate, the stuff never goes in because I keep stopping and starting. 5 mins of work, 2 mins of selecting a song. When I come back to it, 5 mins of work is forgotten about. Then because I've forgotten, I've lost all momentum and rereading it is boring, so I check my messages for 10 mins. And then I come back 10 mins later, and the work makes even less sense.

In other words, delete TSR. I will do it as well, but you go first.
You are welcome. Hopefully it's temporary (:
The way you put it sounds very eerie, hahah. But no no it wasn’t creepy and abusive at all, there are certain deadlines I was really late with and they thought it would help because they knew I had a problem. It did at first when doing this philosophy essay, but I just can’t stand things like business. They also wanted me somewhere where they could check up on me to make sure everything is fine.

Usually if I do that it turns into endless hours of procrastination, hahha. I wish I was like you to have an excuse to do these things.

Thank youu <3 (out of the room btw, out with friends thank god)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Pretty sure this is my 717181th post this month talking about lack of focus. Not sure why I randomly have this this problem now.

Anyways, I’ve worked a lot this week and managed to finish all my work except this dreaded business research thing. I am now sat staring at my work and it feels like I just can’t think.

It has gotten so bad to the point where the school has basically put me in a room (which I’m in right now lmao) and told me I can’t leave until it’s done.

*EDIT: writing this down helped a lotttt, I am now working normally. So, anyways yeah thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

That's not what brain fog is, dude.
When I procrastinate, the stuff never goes in because I keep stopping and starting. 5 mins of work, 2 mins of selecting a song. When I come back to it, 5 mins of work is forgotten about. Then because I've forgotten, I've lost all momentum and rereading it is boring, so I check my messages for 10 mins. And then I come back 10 mins later, and the work makes even less sense.

You just described my whole life dilemma in one post :’)

no, u.
(In all seriousness wish I had the will power to do that hahah)
Original post by Ciel.
That's not what brain fog is, dude.

When you can’t think? Problems with focus? Yes it is. It’s a very distinct feeling.

Maybe I didn’t describe it correctly because it was more than one problem at once but I definitely had it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
When you can’t think? Problems with focus? Yes it is. It’s a very distinct feeling.

Maybe I didn’t describe it correctly hahah but I definitely had it.

Maybe. Because brain fog is so much more than 'I can't focus'.
Original post by Ciel.

I didn’t describe it correctly, but I had it. I know it’s more than that. Thought the title was self-explanatory and that I didn’t need to go into the little details.

*edit: I see why you said that just re-read my post, my bad. Check my edit :smile: I have been dealing with lack of focus for a long time but I know for sure it is brain fog today. As I said it’s a very distinct feeling. @Ciel.
(edited 5 years ago)

That's terrible advice - neither you or @LegallyJasmine are allowed to delete TSR!
Original post by harrysbar
That's terrible advice - neither you or @LegallyJasmine are allowed to delete TSR!

The productivity crew -- username1010108484 -- en route to the 100k.
Original post by Ciel.

I expected more than pedantry from you, mon cheri.
Reply 16
The productivity crew -- username1010108484 -- en route to the 100k.

I expected more than pedantry from you, mon cheri.

🙄🙄
Pretty sure this is my 717181th post this month talking about lack of focus. Not sure why I randomly have this problem now. But today it has turned from lack of focus to complete brain fog.

In your post you sound a bit stressed

:hugs: I also have brain fog but for me it is medical related although once in a blue moon it can affect college work.

School wise: are you getting enough sleep? Why are your school putting you in a separate room (to me this sounds like isolation/excluse, which sounds pretty serious) Do your parents know of this? I'm sure they would have a lot to say if school are pulling you out of lessons during lesson time. This is detrimental as that will cause you to fall behind other subjects... leading to catch 22 basically.

Health wise: it might be worth speaking to a gp about having a blood test done and see if your're deficient in anything. For example vitamin d - can can brain fog not unusual especially in britain.

Edit: forgot to say there is no harm in taking a short nap when you get home from school either.

They're the holy grail :yep:
(edited 5 years ago)
It's completely addictive. I can't pretend otherwise when I'm currently engaged in threads about National Pi day, the best noodle recipe and why some poor soul got ghosted on Tinder.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hahah I wrote that post when I was really really stressed and fed up, you're correct. :colondollar:

No, I do not get enough sleep at all. I think my best ideas always come at night when it is really quiet and everyone is asleep, which is really bad. No no it is fine, it's not the first time they've done this (it's the second time) and usually other people are with me too; but today it was only me. We are basically done with material, and I personally prefer to self study, so it's fine. They called my parents first and told them how dire the situation is, and they agreed that I should do it. The other time they did this I ended up giving in a lot of work-- so I think they think that that approach works with me.

True, I do not live in Britain but I have been diagnosed with Vitamin d deficiency so true it might be a factor I never heard about this. Agreed about the naps, can't get through days like this without them. :rolleyes:

Thank youu :hugs:
Original post by Chronoscope
In your post you sound a bit stressed

:hugs: I also have brain fog but for me it is medical related although once in a blue moon it can affect college work.

School wise: are you getting enough sleep? Why are your school putting you in a separate room (to me this sounds like isolation/excluse, which sounds pretty serious) Do your parents know of this? I'm sure they would have a lot to say if school are pulling you out of lessons during lesson time. This is detrimental as that will cause you to fall behind other subjects... leading to catch 22 basically.

Health wise: it might be worth speaking to a gp about having a blood test done and see if your're deficient in anything. For example vitamin d - can can brain fog not unusual especially in britain.

Edit: forgot to say there is no harm in taking a short nap when you get home from school either.

They're the holy grail :yep:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest