The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc Sociology at Oxford or MSc Political Sociology at LSE

Hi! I have received offers both from Oxford (MSc Sociology) and LSE (MSc Political Sociology). As the two courses have quite different focus points (Oxford focusing more on research while LSE offers a good variety of modules) I was wondering if anyone had experience doing either course and would be able to share their thoughts.
My main issue is that while I am interested in the research that Oxford offers, as I do not plan on going into research work, I'm not sure whether it would be kind of a waste of time. On the other hand, while LSE has a good variety of modules, the one that interest me have a very similar reading list to my undergraduate and thus (although I know I would learn) I don't think I would learn that many completely new things. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by undergrad999
Hi! I have received offers both from Oxford (MSc Sociology) and LSE (MSc Political Sociology). As the two courses have quite different focus points (Oxford focusing more on research while LSE offers a good variety of modules) I was wondering if anyone had experience doing either course and would be able to share their thoughts.
My main issue is that while I am interested in the research that Oxford offers, as I do not plan on going into research work, I'm not sure whether it would be kind of a waste of time. On the other hand, while LSE has a good variety of modules, the one that interest me have a very similar reading list to my undergraduate and thus (although I know I would learn) I don't think I would learn that many completely new things. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hello,

I completed my undegraduate studies in Sociology last year and I have an offer for Msc Sociology from both Oxford and LSE and this is the period I need to take a decision as well. Personally, I am considering doing a phd after my Masters but I am not 100% sure about it. Either way, I think I will go for Oxford, as both programmes have more or less the same structure (12 months taught degree and 10000 dissertation) and completing graduate studies in Oxford is more challenging and prestigious .

You also have to think about whether you want to live in London or not.

Hope that's helpful

University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Both are top universities, congrats! If you know you don't want to go into academia/research and if it is focused on that, then perhaps consider the LSE. Although if it is a MSc and not an MPhil then it will still be a taught course with modules, incase you were worried that it is too research focused. As for LSE having similar reading lists, I am sure what you'll be learning will be at a more advanced level so also nothing to worry about.

Good luck!
Original post by cccc22

Hello,

I completed my undegraduate studies in Sociology last year and I have an offer for Msc Sociology from both Oxford and LSE and this is the period I need to take a decision as well. Personally, I am considering doing a phd after my Masters but I am not 100% sure about it. Either way, I think I will go for Oxford, as both programmes have more or less the same structure (12 months taught degree and 10000 dissertation) and completing graduate studies in Oxford is more challenging and prestigious .

You also have to think about whether you want to live in London or not.

Hope that's helpful

Hi! Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that others are in the same boat :smile: After talking to students from both universities and having looked at the reading lists in more detail, I am certain I would learn more at Oxford. I too am considering doing a phd later on, probalby not right after my master's though. I might see you at Oxford in October :smile:
Original post by igcsecrazy
Both are top universities, congrats! If you know you don't want to go into academia/research and if it is focused on that, then perhaps consider the LSE. Although if it is a MSc and not an MPhil then it will still be a taught course with modules, incase you were worried that it is too research focused. As for LSE having similar reading lists, I am sure what you'll be learning will be at a more advanced level so also nothing to worry about.

Good luck!

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 5
Hi! Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that others are in the same boat :smile: After talking to students from both universities and having looked at the reading lists in more detail, I am certain I would learn more at Oxford. I too am considering doing a phd later on, probalby not right after my master's though. I might see you at Oxford in October :smile:

Great news! Hope to meet you at Oxford. :smile: Have you heard from your college at all?
Original post by cccc22
Great news! Hope to meet you at Oxford. :smile: Have you heard from your college at all?

I was accepted by St Hugh's. What about you?
Reply 7
I was accepted by St Hugh's. What about you?

Haven't heard from a College yet!
Reply 8
Hi @cccc22 and @undergrad999 ! I am in the position you two found yourself in last year deciding between Oxford Sociology and LSE Political Sociology. I am wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience in the programs you chose and shed some light on this decision. I am looking to apply to PhD/DPhil programs next so if you feel strongly about the programs' ability to prepare you for that I would love to hear!
Reply 9
Hi there! I am still waiting to hear from Oxford though on the Official 2019 Oxford thread someone posted yesterday that the department had said they would release offers by the 22nd. I have had my LSE offer for almost a month now and am leaning toward their program but am trying to weigh the pros and cons of each so I can make a pretty fast decision once I hear from Oxford if I’m offered a place. Have you applied for LSE as well or just Oxford? Good luck to you!!
Original post by happysunshine1
Hi @grace003! Fellow Sociology applicant here, just wondering if you have heard back from Oxford yet? :smile:
Hi guys,

I am just wondering what grades you obtained at undergraduate level and if you have any tips on getting into Oxbridge?
Reply 11
Hey! I'm looking at applying for the LSE Political Sociology course, but looking at what kind of job prospects that masters graduates have found afterwards!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending