The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Uni of Liverpool withdrew offer after seeing my syllabuses

I accepted my conditional offer on UCAS form Liverpool for aerospace engineering. Because I'm an international student (Belgium) I had some questions about the conditions they gave me. The University asked for my science, and physics syllabuses. Today they replied and said that there is not enough content about ''solid mechanics'' and they will have to withdraw my offer. Is this actually possible and what are my chances of still getting in? Can I still get in if I take an international A level?

To be clear: I didn't lie about my qualifications nor did I change my examinations agreements and my physics teacher told me that solid mechanics aren't really covered in high school here in Belgium.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yannick.
I accepted my conditional offer on UCAS form Liverpool for aerospace engineering. Because I'm an international student (Belgium) I had some questions about the conditions they gave me. The University asked for my science, and physics syllabuses. Today they replied and said that there is not enough content about ''solid mechanics'' and they will have to withdraw my offer. Is this actually possible and what are my chances of still getting in? Can I still get in if I take an international A level?

To be clear: I didn't lie about my qualifications nor did I change my examinations agreements and my physics teacher told me that solid mechanics aren't really covered in high school here in Belgium.

I would talk to the international team or admissions or consider making a complaint.
Do they have an integrated degree with foundation year?
The current danger is that this year is the last guaranteed one for EU students to get home fees. If you dont get entry this September, then it all depends what happens with Brexit.

I can see engineering with foundation year, but not aerospace.
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/engineering-foundation-beng-hons-4-year-route-including-a-foundation-year-at-carmel-college/overview/
Maybe ask about starting on that and then transferring onto the main aerospace degree?

There are also other aerospace degrees with actual integrated foundation years.

https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=aerospace+foundation&SubjectText=&ProviderText=&AutoSuggestType=&SearchType=&SortOrder=ProviderAtoZ&AcademicYearId=2019&ClearingOptOut=False&vacancy-rb=rba&filters=Destination_Undergraduate&UcasTariffPointsMin=0&UcasTariffPointsMax=144%2B&ProviderText=&add=Subject_Aerospace+engineering&SubjectText=&DistanceFromPostcode=1mi&RegionDistancePostcode=&CurrentView=Provider&__RequestVerificationToken=Mndbz3GWTRe2k-RpEsgQzBhLp46sQXGsrbTMFViDkwOJXmOdfEETiX6vzQhrx-XZN5GS66LQOWJjDXiHxXrhn_bAB2eQJ3cHS9gm5xep0ec1
(edited 5 years ago)
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
@PQ are unis allowed to do this....?
Reply 3
The conditional offer is conditional because they are offering you a place if you meet certain conditions. Unfortunately you did not meet them and the conditional offer was revoked. If you accepted the offer this just means you accept the offer if you meet the criteria set, which you did not.

Based on the content of your OP your qualification content is not acceptable but you may be able to study something in the interim before starting. I'd suggest contacting the uni and agreeing upon a short/summer course of study.

No rules have been broken.
That's annoying af.

tbh if you have no experience of Mechanics how can you prove you will be able to do a degree in engineering? you should ask if you can do an admissions/aptitude test
Reply 6
Original post by Ryanr84
The conditional offer is conditional because they are offering you a place if you meet certain conditions. Unfortunately you did not meet them and the conditional offer was revoked. If you accepted the offer this just means you accept the offer if you meet the criteria set, which you did not.

Based on the content of your OP your qualification content is not acceptable but you may be able to study something in the interim before starting. I'd suggest contacting the uni and agreeing upon a short/summer course of study.

I'm very aware of the conditions and I was able to meet them but now they are saying that it won't be possible to accept me even if I meet these given conditions.
Reply 7
Original post by CollectiveSoul
tbh if you have no experience of Mechanics how can you prove you will be able to do a degree in engineering? you should ask if you can do an admissions/aptitude test

I know, told them I was more than willing to study additional material by myself but they refused and said they won't make any more changes.
I know, told them I was more than willing to study additional material by myself but they refused and said they won't make any more changes.

studying extra material by yourself isn't the same as doing an admissions exam. how are they going to assess you fairly otherwise?
Original post by Ryanr84

What happens where no condition was stated about the content of their course and they accept the offer? Wouldnt acceptance amount to a contract?

How do you know what the conditions of the OPs offer was?
Why do they get to revoke once accepted?
I'm very aware of the conditions and I was able to meet them but now they are saying that it won't be possible to accept me even if I meet these given conditions.

I understood that. If they withdrew before you firmed it, then nothing you can do.
As you firmed it, then you have an issue as there is a contract imo. PQ might know about any other term that allows them to get out of such a situation, but I would make a complaint if you felt that way. Obviously if you dont have the knowledge you arent going to survive on the degree, but you could twist their arm about getting foundation training. Its their mistake and not yours.
They can always withdraw an offer if they realise that the offer was made in error. However they should explain to the applicant that they made a mistake (and where the offer has been accepted they should be talking to UCAS to arrange for the applicant’s replies to be reset so they can pick a new firm choice).

OP - it’s worth pestering the international team at Liverpool about the lack of support and the mistakes. They might be able to negotiate a better solution for you or at the very least make sure that your replies are reset by ucas.
This reflects badly on Liverpool university. OP would be better off going elsewhere to a more competent organisation.
Yannick, there's always the fallback for UCAS Clearing/Adjustment day on 15th August 2019, but that does leaves university choices until quite late.

I applied to University of Cardiff a while ago for Engineering, at interview I mentioned that I was a bit weak in some mathematical areas "We'll teach you," they said " That's what we are here for" (I think I would have informally been given a few months maths booster) but I went to Essex instead.

I agree that L'pool is being a bit uppity.
Original post by LuigiMario
Yannick, there's always the fallback for UCAS Clearing/Adjustment day on 15th August 2019, but that does leaves university choices until quite late.

I applied to University of Cardiff a while ago for Engineering, at interview I mentioned that I was a bit weak in some mathematical areas "We'll teach you," they said " That's what we are here for" (I think I would have informally been given a few months maths booster) but I went to Essex instead.

I agree that L'pool is being a bit uppity.

...and how are you coping with the course? Engineering is notoriously challenging
it was a while ago, and whilst I had struggled with Maths at 'A'-levels, I loved the Applied Maths in Engineering, AC theory, and did great, thanks!
Original post by CollectiveSoul
...and how are you coping with the course? Engineering is notoriously challenging
The plural form of the word syllabus is syllabi, not ‘syllabuses’. Just saying.
Original post by 1Person
The plural form of the word syllabus is syllabi, not ‘syllabuses’. Just saying.

Bi always come in threes :indiff:
Original post by PQ
Bi always come in threes :indiff:

I don’t understand.
Reply 19
Original post by 999tigger
I would talk to the international team or admissions or consider making a complaint.
Do they have an integrated degree with foundation year?
The current danger is that this year is the last guaranteed one for EU students to get home fees. If you dont get entry this September, then it all depends what happens with Brexit.

I can see engineering with foundation year, but not aerospace.
https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/engineering-foundation-beng-hons-4-year-route-including-a-foundation-year-at-carmel-college/overview/
Maybe ask about starting on that and then transferring onto the main aerospace degree?

There are also other aerospace degrees with actual integrated foundation years.

https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=aerospace+foundation&SubjectText=&ProviderText=&AutoSuggestType=&SearchType=&SortOrder=ProviderAtoZ&AcademicYearId=2019&ClearingOptOut=False&vacancy-rb=rba&filters=Destination_Undergraduate&UcasTariffPointsMin=0&UcasTariffPointsMax=144%2B&ProviderText=&add=Subject_Aerospace+engineering&SubjectText=&DistanceFromPostcode=1mi&RegionDistancePostcode=&CurrentView=Provider&__RequestVerificationToken=Mndbz3GWTRe2k-RpEsgQzBhLp46sQXGsrbTMFViDkwOJXmOdfEETiX6vzQhrx-XZN5GS66LQOWJjDXiHxXrhn_bAB2eQJ3cHS9gm5xep0ec1

Thank you, I will talk to them on Monday. Honestly doing a foundation year just for one missing chapter in my physics course feels more like a waste of time.

Quick Reply

Latest