The Student Room Group

MP has solution for knife crime!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doones
So Mrs Jones will have to keep all her knives under lock and key? Or install CCTV in her knife drawer.
Does this include table knives? Butter knives?
Does she sign a waiver when she has a dinner party for her guests to use them?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I am trying to stress the principle. If people are more aware of their knives, their little criminal child wont take it to stab another kid.
Reply 41
Original post by Notoriety
Well, he is Cornish.

Kettles are new technology to them lot.

:mad: p a s t y l a n d :mad:
Reply 42
Original post by Wired_1800
I know it sounds ridiculous.

You could have stopped at that point.
A better solution would be to install

- A GPS module
- Accelerometer and Gyroscope in the limbs to detect stabbing motion
- An MRI scanner hat drilled into the head to detect signs of violence brewing

Combine the last two and get an AI model to learn the signs of a shanking about to happen, and use the GPS signal to dispatch Robocop

Install all of that at birth.
Original post by Doones
You could have stopped at that point.

Lol, ok.
Original post by Blue_Cow
A better solution would be to install

- A GPS module
- Accelerometer and Gyroscope in the limbs to detect stabbing motion
- An MRI scanner hat drilled into the head to detect signs of violence brewing

Combine the last two and get an AI model to learn the signs of a shanking about to happen, and use the GPS signal to dispatch Robocop

Install all of that at birth.

Perhaps we could call it the Pre-crime unit.
Reply 46
This idea is hugely impractical, for obvious reasons.
It takes the theory that increasing the likelihood of being caught for a crime is much more effective at reducing crime than increasing sentencing etc, to a whole new level. The only practical way to increase the likelihood of being caught is the restoration of section 60 powers so that young people are deterred from carrying knives.
Original post by the beer
Nah, they just don't buy or sell on street corners.

Exactly the point.
Original post by the beer
Well there are certainly only 2 possible routes to go, a crack down will likely only encourage gangs to become even more violent though.

We need to go to the source of the problem and stop the flow of young men falling into the hands of drug lords.
I did not mean drug use but drug sale and distribution. I know that public school kids use drugs.

The point was drug sale is mostly done by poor people esp poor state school kids.

Rich kids buy drugs online with bitcoins and sell them to their friends.
No, just no. A knife can be used for genuine reasons unlike a gun where the only purpose of it is to harm people. Having a database for knives is just a ridiculous idea, are you going to send a police raid to a grandma's house who is just cutting vegetables?
Scott Mann, Conservative MP for North Cornwall

Big ****ing surprise there.
Original post by Decahedron
Rich kids buy drugs online with bitcoins and sell them to their friends.

We are talking about drug sale and not drug purchase.

The poor kid, Rich, in inner city London has a friend called Peter. Rich and Pete are best mates and they hang out in Pete’s house playing video games and chatting up girls on social media. Pete’s elder brother asks Rich to help him to keep a package overnight for £100. This surprises Rich and he does it for the quick cash. Remember he is poor and does not need to worry his parents about money.

Rich keeps another package the following day, but this time it is for 1 week. Then Rich is given a package to take from Barking to Islington for £250. £250, just to drop a package?! Easy money! In 4 weeks, Rich has made £530 from being a “messenger”.

Things get ugly when Rich drops a package in Acton (the terrority of another drug gang). He gets told to stop but the money has gotten to his head. Another encounter in Acton leads to an argument that leads to fights. Someone suddenly brings out a knife. Boom! Rich gets stabbed 7 times and the gang flee.

From being a normal poor kid, who helps his mom and teaches his little bro football, Rich descended to a drug runner because of the money. He was dead 9 months after keeping that first package for Pete’s brother.

I know all stabbings don't work like the above, but there are many stories that I have heard from friends about the allure of drug sale and its impact on young lives.
Original post by The RAR
No, just no. A knife can be used for genuine reasons unlike a gun where the only purpose of it is to harm people. Having a database for knives is just a ridiculous idea, are you going to send a police raid to a grandma's house who is just cutting vegetables?

If her knife was found to have stabbed a kid and left on the street, yes. How did her knife get lost and end up on the streets?

The poor kid, Rich, in inner city London has a friend called Peter. Rich and Pete are best mates and they hang out in Pete’s house playing video games and chatting up girls on social media. Pete’s elder brother asks Rich to help him to keep a package overnight for £100. This surprises Rich and he does it for the quick cash. Remember he is poor and does not need to worry his parents about money.

Rich keeps another package the following day, but this time it is for 1 week. Then Rich is given a package to take from Barking to Islington for £250. £250, just to drop a package?! Easy money! In 4 weeks, Rich has made £530 from being a “messenger”.

Things get ugly when Rich drops a package in Acton (the terrority of another drug gang). He gets told to stop but the money has gotten to his head. Another encounter in Acton leads to an argument that leads to fights. Someone suddenly brings out a knife. Boom! Rich gets stabbed 7 times and the gang flee.

From being a normal poor kid, who helps his mom and teaches his little bro football, Rich descended to a drug runner because of the money. He was dead 9 months after keeping that first package for Pete’s brother.

I know all stabbings don't work like the above, but there are many stories that I have heard from friends about the allure of drug sale and its impact on young lives.

Good post, but it's worth noting that a big part of the reason for the increase in violence is the movement away from postcode gangs toward the so called county lines system. It's turned the situation into a dog-eat-dog nightmare for the kids who get groomed into trafficking drugs.
Reply 56

Original post by Captain Haddock
Good post, but it's worth noting that a big part of the reason for the increase in violence is the movement away from postcode gangs toward the so called county lines system. It's turned the situation into a dog-eat-dog nightmare for the kids who get groomed into trafficking drugs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/private-school-pupils-county-lines-drug-gangs-ofsted-children-grooming-a8633216.html

Between this and the spread of gang activity into rural areas the Tories might finally have to wake up on this issue.
Original post by The RAR

unlike a gun where the only purpose of it is to harm people.

All I hurt with my gun is a bit of paper and my wallet, possibly even the person who owns the range as he has to sweep up all the lead every once in a while and I recon that would take a bit of effort.
Original post by Captain Haddock

Exactly. My post was an example of local gangs. We have not even discussed county-line drug gangs. It is crazy out there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending