The Student Room Group

Which is the easiest exam board?

I am currently taking my GCSE's and am I doing AQA exam boards apart from Music and Maths Edexcel and Computer Science OCR. Which is the hardest exam board for which subjects? I would like to hear you opinion probably from personal experience. In my opinion, Edexcel is the easiest and OCR is the hardest but OCR is easy for computer science. Generally, I have found that AQA are strict on using specific keywords. I'm really confused??? Also, teachers have different opinions on exam boards.

Scroll to see replies

Ocr
Reply 2
I do OCR for history and honestly you have to work so hard to even pass, there are people in my class barely passing and I’m in set 1. I think edexcel and AQA are the easiest to get marks but you can make silly mistakes on the papers.

Original post by saras2710
I am currently taking my GCSE's and am I doing AQA exam boards apart from Music and Maths Edexcel and Computer Science OCR. Which is the hardest exam board for which subjects? I would like to hear you opinion probably from personal experience. In my opinion, Edexcel is the easiest and OCR is the hardest but OCR is easy for computer science. Generally, I have found that AQA are strict on using specific keywords. I'm really confused??? Also, teachers have different opinions on exam boards.
Original post by saras2710

Why?
Original post by Aimee_98
I do OCR for history and honestly you have to work so hard to even pass, there are people in my class barely passing and I’m in set 1. I think edexcel and AQA are the easiest to get marks but you can make silly mistakes on the papers.

“Honestly you have to work so hard to even pass” wtf
I do ocr history and additional maths and would say these are my 2 easiest papers
edexcel have a reputation for being the easiest maths papers
in my experience AQA has always been the easiest and OCR is the hardest
Depends, AQA is well known and usually used for English exams in GSCE for hated for science.
Reply 8
Really ?? The actual GCSE, people get good results but in the mocks people do kinda bad compared to our other subjects.
Original post by need urgent help
I do ocr history and additional maths and would say these are my 2 easiest papers
Reply 9
Completely dependent of the subjects not the board, as it's not like the same person does cross subjects, so there is large discrepancy between boards and within subjects. Although they all sing from the same hymn sheet in terms of content. I do WJEC and they are slowly changing their ways to become edexels welsh cousin. AQA however is meant to be hardest (although I've not sat a paper). But CEI is also meant to be interesting...there's so many honestly. Eduqas is WJEC just for your info, just without the welsh papers. Oh and WJEC is like middle ground, like I said depends on subjects, apart from music, as you have welsh music which is strange...
My teacher is a harsh marker and OCR mark scheme is harsh, everyone that does history will tell you that it’s hard work because there is so much content way more than my other subjects by far. If you don’t know the dates then your ****ed

Considering I have already done history GCSE, I can tell you it really isn't that hard work.
Yeah but did u do 9-1 ? I’m guessing you had coursework
Original post by That'sGreat
Considering I have already done history GCSE, I can tell you it really isn't that hard work.
Yeah but did u do 9-1 ? I’m guessing you had coursework

Yes we had coursework. But exams are much easier than coursework, and the content and challenge of the 9-1 exams in general is severely overrated. If you find GCSE hard work, you may as well give up on A levels now.
Original post by That'sGreat
Yes we had coursework. But exams are much easier than coursework, and the content and challenge of the 9-1 exams in general is severely overrated. If you find GCSE hard work, you may as well give up on A levels now.

I don’t find GCSEs hard, the work you guys did was much easier even our teachers told us. What we learn is what you learn at 17-18, it’s not hard the grade boundaries go up each year because everyone does better.
guys, not considering all options here... sqa
edexcel and aqa are fair. ocr, are not. if you do ocr sciences be prepared to answer stupid questions like "where in the ovaries is progesterone produced" thats not on the syllabus at all
Original post by Gent2324
edexcel and aqa are fair. ocr, are not. if you do ocr sciences be prepared to answer stupid questions like "where in the ovaries is progesterone produced" thats not on the syllabus at all

It's on the WJEC syllabus though, so hmm...
Original post by Max1989
It's on the WJEC syllabus though, so hmm...

wjec are really generous for english.
but ocr shouldnt be asking questions not on the syllabus
Original post by hewgcrusty
edexcel have a reputation for being the easiest maths papers

on the contrary, i've always regarded the edexcel maths papers as the hardest out of that, aqa and ocr :smile:

I do OCR for sciences + maths, and although the science questions are sometimes a bit weird/very specific, the maths is alright as they mix the harder and easier questions throughout the paper (so timings are easier to stick to etc.)
Original post by Gent2324
wjec are really generous for english.
but ocr shouldnt be asking questions not on the syllabus

That is fair point, and I do sciences so I don't know about english, if it is not on the syllabus whatsoever (even a vague statement on some lost document) then it should not be in a question, if it is then the teachers can complain and the question will be revoked, and marking changed. This happened to me in last years WJEC Further Paper. So if it genuinely is not at all on the syllabus, it should not be there and teachers can cause the question to be removed from the marking criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending