The Student Room Group

Triptans for migraines

Has anyone had any experience with triptans? Are they effective for you?

I'm currently trying to figure out treatment for my migraines and a neurologist has suggested triptans. I had never heard of them before today so I've read the letter I was given which talks about 4 different ones, as well as the NHS website.

I do have a GP appointment to discuss the neurologist's advice, so don't worry, I'm not asking here in place of my GP's advice (that would be super hypocritical of me). I'm just trying to gain more of an idea of what triptans are, as they're totally new to me so I know what to talk about with my doctor.

I've also been recommended to try a tricyclic antidepressant, beta-blocker and topiramate however these seem a little extreme. If you've had any experience with these for treating migraines too then please tell me about your experiences.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Has anyone had any experience with triptans? Are they effective for you?

I'm currently trying to figure out treatment for my migraines and a neurologist has suggested triptans. I had never heard of them before today so I've read the letter I was given which talks about 4 different ones, as well as the NHS website.

I do have a GP appointment to discuss the neurologist's advice, so don't worry, I'm not asking here in place of my GP's advice (that would be super hypocritical of me). I'm just trying to gain more of an idea of what triptans are, as they're totally new to me so I know what to talk about with my doctor.

I've also been recommended to try a tricyclic antidepressant, beta-blocker and topiramate however these seem a little extreme. If you've had any experience with these for treating migraines too then please tell me about your experiences.

Yes Triptans can be very effective. Not sure what sort of Migraines you get, frequency or severity?

If your Dr will give them then I suggest you try. Expensive medication, but one of the few that actually works to deal with an attack. Cant say if its overkill because theres not much contextual information.

Have a look on the Migraine Trust website.

Veta blockers I found made me quite tired and docile.
Original post by 999tigger
Yes Triptans can be very effective. Not sure what sort of Migraines you get, frequency or severity?

If your Dr will give them then I suggest you try. Expensive medication, but one of the few that actually works to deal with an attack. Cant say if its overkill because theres not much contextual information.

Have a look on the Migraine Trust website.

Veta blockers I found made me quite tired and docile.

I'm not even sure if they're migraines, but my dr seems to be calling them that. I get mild headaches 2 or 3 times a week and then a very severe one 2 or 3 times a month. These ones leave me very drowsy, unable to keep my eyes open and basically force me to lay in bed / sleep until it goes away. Painkillers including Naproxen do little if anything to help. They have lasted so far for as long as 3 days. Have been experiencing these for the past 2 years. Pain is around my temples and feels like my head is being squeezed in a vice constantly.

They could be connected to my jaw as I have suspected TMJ, am awaiting a referral to a clinic for that.

Thanks I'll take a look at that site :smile:
I'm not even sure if they're migraines, but my dr seems to be calling them that. I get mild headaches 2 or 3 times a week and then a very severe one 2 or 3 times a month. These ones leave me very drowsy, unable to keep my eyes open and basically force me to lay in bed / sleep until it goes away. Painkillers including Naproxen do little if anything to help. They have lasted so far for as long as 3 days. Have been experiencing these for the past 2 years. Pain is around my temples and feels like my head is being squeezed in a vice constantly.

They could be connected to my jaw as I have suspected TMJ, am awaiting a referral to a clinic for that.

Thanks I'll take a look at that site :smile:

I know a fair bit about migraines, but its fine to research and then discuss with your GP
Might be stress or anxiety.

Are the severe ones one side of your head only or do you get an aura/ flashing lights?
the point about Sumatriptan/ retail name is instead of trying to mask the pain like a painkiller it can deal with the source by stopping the blood vessels around your temples constricting and easing the pressure, hence the pain.

They are quite expensive (Much cheaper than they were), but as a one off definitely worth trying. Longer term I expect dealing with your trigger factors and reducing overall anxiety levels will be better for you. Not very focused at the moment so giving you an idea.

Things like betablockers you take every ay and they slow you down. Works for some people.
Exercise is very good for stress relief.
I know a fair bit about migraines, but its fine to research and then discuss with your GP
Might be stress or anxiety.

Are the severe ones one side of your head only or do you get an aura/ flashing lights?
the point about Sumatriptan/ retail name is instead of trying to mask the pain like a painkiller it can deal with the source by stopping the blood vessels around your temples constricting and easing the pressure, hence the pain.

They are quite expensive (Much cheaper than they were), but as a one off definitely worth trying. Longer term I expect dealing with your trigger factors and reducing overall anxiety levels will be better for you. Not very focused at the moment so giving you an idea.

Things like betablockers you take every ay and they slow you down. Works for some people.
Exercise is very good for stress relief.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was stress, tbh. I'm at uni so I always have deadlines / something to study for so I am stressed.

They're on both sides of my head/across my forehead and hurt my eyes too. I got my eyes tested a year ago and got glasses to wear when I look at screens as they said my eyes were straining, but they don't do anything to prevent a headache. No aura or flashing lights

If I get them on prescription do I not just pay the prescription charge? How much are they?

I've recently started incorporating regular exercise into my lifestyle so fingers crossed soon I'll start noticing a difference too
Wouldn't surprise me if it was stress, tbh. I'm at uni so I always have deadlines / something to study for so I am stressed.

They're on both sides of my head/across my forehead and hurt my eyes too. I got my eyes tested a year ago and got glasses to wear when I look at screens as they said my eyes were straining, but they don't do anything to prevent a headache. No aura or flashing lights

If I get them on prescription do I not just pay the prescription charge? How much are they?

I've recently started incorporating regular exercise into my lifestyle so fingers crossed soon I'll start noticing a difference too

Could just be tension headaches.
There are various sorts of migraines the most common ones are associated with one side of your head hurting around the temple and the other being fine.

Other are are with auras.

Yes its just the cost of the prescription if you are 19+. £8.80 so worth giving a go.

You are just going to have to try things in conjunction with your GP and find something that works.

In any event knowing trigger or stress factors and reducing them is probably your best long term bet as prevention is better than cure.

Do have a look at Migraine Trust as it has tons of stuff on them. You and the P can work something out.
Could just be tension headaches.
There are various sorts of migraines the most common ones are associated with one side of your head hurting around the temple and the other being fine.

Other are are with auras.

Yes its just the cost of the prescription if you are 19+. £8.80 so worth giving a go.

You are just going to have to try things in conjunction with your GP and find something that works.

In any event knowing trigger or stress factors and reducing them is probably your best long term bet as prevention is better than cure.

Do have a look at Migraine Trust as it has tons of stuff on them. You and the P can work something out.

Thanks so much for your help!
Thanks so much for your help!

One of the things worth investigating is if its a migraine then sumatriptan might work i,e if you get an attack it can deal with it in hours. Worth trying if you are getting ones that regular and especially useful if you have an attack on an exam day. I can sense one almost 12-24 hours before it happens. Obviously a full attack in the middle of an exam isnt the best.

If yours are persistent then I suggest you notify your tutor and department.

See how you get on.
(edited 5 years ago)
One of the things worth investigating is if its a migraine then sumatriptan might work i,e if you get an attack it can deal with it in hours. Worth trying if you are getting ones that regular and especially useful if you have an attack on an exam day. I can sense one almost 12-24 hours before it happens. Obviously a full attack in the middle of an exam isnt the best.

If yours are persistent then I suggest you notify your tutor and department.

See how you get on.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind :smile:
Reply 9
My mom often takes Sumaprodex which I guess is similar to Sumatriptan.
I take them very rarely only when I can't bare the symptoms and have to function. I'd rather rest in a dark and quiet place, if even that doesn't help I'd take Imitrex depends on the symptoms).
Tension headaches shouldn't be as severe as you describe...
Antidepressants can reduce migraines caused by stress, but they have a lot of side-effects, including migraines and headache. When I was on antidepressants they did nothing with the headaches and migraines.

Basically, as I said to you before, every sort of migraine has its own treatment.
In my case Sumaprodex help a bit with weather migraines and with migraines caused my being too tired, not with tension or stress related migraines.

If your migraines caused by working too long in front of screens you could get a good blue-cut coating and adjust your prescription a bit (bi-focals perhaps, different rx for up-close and far-away), they seldom test it in young adults, but many farsighted people actually have some sort of untreated focusing problems causing headaches and fitting a proper prescription help a lot.... but somehow I feel that is not the case with you.
I was prescribed sumatriptan when I was about 14 and I have migraine with brainstem aura. In a nutshell, they don't for me however my migraines are quite severe and for me the issue is the aura symptoms not so much the pain. Fairly strong painkillers keep pain at bay and I just have to sleep it off which isn't ideal if it strikes on a monday and I need 2 days off work

Quick Reply

Latest