The Student Room Group

Economics at university without A Level Economics

Just interested whether there are any current economics uni students who didn't take A level economics, and if so:
1. Which a level subjects did you take?
2. Which university are you studying at?
3. What extra stuff did you do to boost your application e.g. wider reading?
thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by vivt11
Just interested whether there are any current economics uni students who didn't take A level economics, and if so:
1. Which a level subjects did you take?
2. Which university are you studying at
thanks

not an economics student.

But to study economics u need maths.
Agreed. It's more important to study Maths than Economics for an Economics degree. Strange but true!
Reply 3
bump
I study BSc Economics. You only need maths at A-Level. None of the course relies on any material taught at A-Level Economics, and often disregards it. Anything you do need to know is just taught from scratch.
Reply 5
thanks for replying. did you take economics a level?
Original post by DarthRoar
I study BSc Economics. You only need maths at A-Level. None of the course relies on any material taught at A-Level Economics, and often disregards it. Anything you do need to know is just taught from scratch.
Original post by vivt11
thanks for replying. did you take economics a level?

Nope.
Reply 7
don't mind me asking which subjects you took and what uni you go to? cheers
Nope.
Original post by vivt11
don't mind me asking which subjects you took and what uni you go to? cheers

Maths, Physics, Computer Science. Now at Bristol.
I am not an economics student but from memory there are a number of universities that dont require A levels. I think those that dont require A levels include Newcastle, Lancaster, Nottingham, Swansea, Reading, Royal Holloway, Sussex and Eat Anglia although you need to check this is correct.
Reply 10
ahhh nice.. would you recommend doing anything e.g. wider reading to boost your economics application?
Maths, Physics, Computer Science. Now at Bristol.
Reply 11
Hey I think you misread title, I'm doing a levels but not economics :smile:
Original post by swanseajack1
I am not an economics student but from memory there are a number of universities that dont require A levels. I think those that dont require A levels include Newcastle, Lancaster, Nottingham, Swansea, Reading, Royal Holloway, Sussex and Eat Anglia although you need to check this is correct.
sorry I misled you. I meant dont require Maths A level.
Original post by vivt11
Hey I think you misread title, I'm doing a levels but not economics :smile:
Original post by vivt11
ahhh nice.. would you recommend doing anything e.g. wider reading to boost your economics application?

Depends on how high you're aiming. For Oxbridge, you better have read very widely and know a lot about the subject. For a top Russel Group, it'd be good to do some reading or do some stuff to demonstrate interest on personal statement. Otherwise, just have good predicted grades.
Reply 14
ok thanks.. any books you'd recommend?
Depends on how high you're aiming. For Oxbridge, you better have read very widely and know a lot about the subject. For a top Russel Group, it'd be good to do some reading or do some stuff to demonstrate interest on personal statement. Otherwise, just have good predicted grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending