The Student Room Group

I decided to ask a girl out. Unfortunately, I was rejected.

Hey all, so this is a follow-up question from my last one.

That girl I spoke about, I realised I couldn't stop thinking about her and just had to ask. Of course, this was my 1st time EVER asking a girl on a date, so it was kinda soppy and looking back - probably a little cringey. But I genuienly think it touched her heart.

I hate it that I found out she had a boyfriend btw. I just wasn't expecting it, but I continued to send my feelings anyway.

Her response: "I didn't know you felt that way. I appreciate you telling me but as you know I do have a boyfriend and I think it would be really inappropriate to go for food for obvious reasons, but I wish you the best for the future:smile:"

I felt compassion actually flowing through that response - it just proves how nice I thought she was - however it is still going to be agonising not seeing her until like June now.

Do you think if I told her before she got a boyfriend things would have been differently?

Should I try to forget about my crush for her or should I hold hope that someday we can go for 'food'?

Thanks for any thoughts :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You never know, maybe things would be different maybe not.
It's hard to tell what her feelings towards her now, any nice girl would've wrote a response like that.
I'd move on to another girl for now, she may be with her current boyfriend for a while
hey well done on asking her out.... it requires courage :h:

don't get hung up on her; there are plenty more out there :borat:
Original post by the bear
hey well done on asking her out.... it requires courage :h:

don't get hung up on her; there are plenty more out there :borat:

Yeah true, thank you. I will try and think of her less and less as the days go on and who knows - maybe her boyfriend isn't the right person (A guy can dream). She knows I like her now hahaha
Well done man, that takes a lot of guts. Sorry to hear you got rejected, but don't let it get you down. Sometimes, things just aren't meant to be. I'm sure you'll have better luck next time. And plus, you've already experienced asking someone out so maybe it'll be less awkward next time you try?
Put simply. Move on with your life. These kind of hypotheticals are detrimental to your mental health, like you don't know WHETHER she actually liked you, WHETHER she'd date you before the boyfriend or even WHETHER she'd even be thinking of dating for a while if she HAPPENED to break up with the current boyfriend. Just cool down and think of what other opportunities for happiness is available in your life.
Best thread title I've ever seen.
don't take it as a lose. you have more balls than a lot of other guys.good job man. don't give up .
Original post by yenahnousername
Put simply. Move on with your life. These kind of hypotheticals are detrimental to your mental health, like you don't know WHETHER she actually liked you, WHETHER she'd date you before the boyfriend or even WHETHER she'd even be thinking of dating for a while if she HAPPENED to break up with the current boyfriend. Just cool down and think of what other opportunities for happiness is available in your life.

Yeah, I overthink too much which is often why I never reveal my feelings. I think I chose the best girl to ask out first as I knew if I was rejected she is too friendly to hurt me. I'll move on from this situation and most likely come out stronger from it. Thank you :biggrin:

Original post by awkwardshortguy
Best thread title I've ever seen.

I take great pride in that. Hahaha
Original post by CraZy_Lewis26
Yeah, I overthink too much which is often why I never reveal my feelings. I think I chose the best girl to ask out first as I knew if I was rejected she is too friendly to hurt me. I'll move on from this situation and most likely come out stronger from it. Thank you :biggrin:

Np just keep moving forward!!

That girl I spoke about, I realised I couldn't stop thinking about her and just had to ask. Of course, this was my 1st time EVER asking a girl on a date, so it was kinda soppy and looking back - probably a little cringey. But I genuienly think it touched her heart.

I hate it that I found out she had a boyfriend btw. I just wasn't expecting it, but I continued to send my feelings anyway.

Her response: "I didn't know you felt that way. I appreciate you telling me but as you know I do have a boyfriend and I think it would be really inappropriate to go for food for obvious reasons, but I wish you the best for the future:smile:"

I felt compassion actually flowing through that response - it just proves how nice I thought she was - however it is still going to be agonising not seeing her until like June now.

Do you think if I told her before she got a boyfriend things would have been differently?

Should I try to forget about my crush for her or should I hold hope that someday we can go for 'food'?

That's just a standard polite rejection. There's no 'compassion' there whatsoever. Don't read into it; just leave it.
Do girls always wish best luck for the future at the end? 😂
Original post by Anonymous
That's just a standard polite rejection. There's no 'compassion' there whatsoever. Don't read into it; just leave it.
Reply 12

Girls use the "boyfriend" excuse when they do have a boyfriend, and a lot of the time when they don't have a boyfriend too to reject guys.

Honestly the vast amount of times i've asked out girls and they've said they have a boyfriend [and actually had one] ...they probably wouldn't have gone out with me anyway ...even if they were single imo

there's no way to tell if she would have said to you if she didn't have a boyfriend so don't loose sleep over it....
She definitely does, as we were in a show together and last Friday her friends came to see it and I overheard her boyfriend was with them. Everyone, including myself, was shocked as she hasn't really revealed it on social media.

It is either she is quite a private person or what I thought was a new relationship that has barely scratched the surface. This was why I tried to confess my feelings before anything can get real between them.

Thank you for your help though 🙂
Original post by ANM775
Girls use the "boyfriend" excuse when they do have a boyfriend, and a lot of the time when they don't have a boyfriend too to reject guys.

Honestly the vast amount of times i've asked out girls and they've said they have a boyfriend [and actually had one] ...they probably wouldn't have gone out with me anyway ...even if they were single imo

there's no way to tell if she would have said to you if she didn't have a boyfriend so don't loose sleep over it....
Do girls always wish best luck for the future at the end? 😂

I dunno. But you're reading into it way too much, trying to get your hopes up. Whenever people get rejected from anything there's always something similar to that at the end just to be polite. Like if you got rejected from a job you could expect such a last sentence if they were feeling polite.
I am probably reading into to much yeah 😅. It'll be because I know how nice she is. I hope next time I see her (whenever that will be) nothing is awkward and actually this experience grows us closer together (as in; next time I see her, a conversation starts etc)
Original post by Anonymous
I dunno. But you're reading into it way too much, trying to get your hopes up. Whenever people get rejected from anything there's always something similar to that at the end just to be polite. Like if you got rejected from a job you could expect such a last sentence if they were feeling polite.
At least you can sit at home playing video games.

Coincidentally, that's exactly what you do when you have a girlfriend anyway.
Reply 17
I am probably reading into to much yeah 😅. It'll be because I know how nice she is. I hope next time I see her (whenever that will be) nothing is awkward and actually this experience grows us closer together (as in; next time I see her, a conversation starts etc)

You sound like you're wanting to play the waiting "game"
Waiting around for her to break up with her bf, and as the loyal trusty male friend .. you will swoop in and pick up the pieces ....and become her bf.

She rejected you, she has a bf.

Don't become hung up on this girl. Move on.
Reply 18

No, she sounds nice but you should move on and date someone else. But you never know in the future....... ? stranger things have happened.
Muckle?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending