The Student Room Group

DofE Bronze Expedition

Hiya. This is my first post so sorry if it’s in the wrong place😂
I’m doing my bronze practice expedition next week. I’m really nervous about getting lost. Do you have any tips?
Thanks Halle
If you get lost it is all part of the fun! My group got severely lost when we did it (years ago now) and ended up getting to camp super late; they actually sent out a teacher to drive around looking for us, and we had to set up our tent in the dark 😂 the good old days.
If you really don’t want to get lost, practice your map reading skills before, make sure you know the area/route well, practise using a compass and stay calm and logical, follow your intuition!
You will be fine though-remember, it is a practice expedition, you are allowed to make mistakes :-)
Hi there's nothing to worry about in terms of getting lost you'll have trackers on you I'm sure. In terms of reducing your chance of getting lost familiarise yourself woth the map and look for specific landmarks on the map e.g. telephone boxes, public buildings and make mental landmarks along your route. Having detailed route cards really help I know when I did it I thought route cards wouldny be as helpful but the more detailed the more it helps you on your expedition. Good luck and have fun!
Original post by ishapatelpk
Hi there's nothing to worry about in terms of getting lost you'll have trackers on you I'm sure. In terms of reducing your chance of getting lost familiarise yourself woth the map and look for specific landmarks on the map e.g. telephone boxes, public buildings and make mental landmarks along your route. Having detailed route cards really help I know when I did it I thought route cards wouldny be as helpful but the more detailed the more it helps you on your expedition. Good luck and have fun!

Trackers on you? What on earth?

OP, If you get lost, you get lost. It happens. My group got so badly lost we ended up taking 6hrs longer to get to camp. It's not a big deal, it's all part of the experience. For the most part though it should be quite easy to navigate and as its bronze your assessors will be quite nearby
Every expedition I have done including practice and real our Dofe leaders have given one member of our group a tracker. Is this not always the case?
Original post by AzureCeleste
Trackers on you? What on earth?

OP, If you get lost, you get lost. It happens. My group got so badly lost we ended up taking 6hrs longer to get to camp. It's not a big deal, it's all part of the experience. For the most part though it should be quite easy to navigate and as its bronze your assessors will be quite nearby
Every expedition I have done including practice and real our Dofe leaders have given one member of our group a tracker. Is this not always the case?

Nah I remember my group got trackers too! We had to click a button to send a signal
Here's a tip: If you're going to arrive at camp sooner than you intended, hide out in a forest for an hour. That worked well for me. Don't go to a play-park though, as one of the other teams did. They got found by one of the leaders (I did mine through Explorer Scouts) and were made to walk an extra bit of route up a very big hill and back! :rofl:

Nope, never ever heard of this. Seems like a weird concept really. We had phones to be used for emergencies (though kinda pointless in the middle of nowhere). I did it right through to gold and we never had that
Ohhh okay I've done bronze and silver and always had trackers and we had our phones too sealed in an envelope for emergencies aswell
Original post by AzureCeleste
Nope, never ever heard of this. Seems like a weird concept really. We had phones to be used for emergencies (though kinda pointless in the middle of nowhere). I did it right through to gold and we never had that

Quick Reply

Latest