The Student Room Group

Social anthropology

Does someone know what to study with a social anthropology degree ?
What do you mean? As in, whether to do a joint honours (and if so, with what), or what the content of a social anthropology course is itself?
Reply 2
Yes what the content of a social anthropology course is ?
Original post by Cbetocchi
Yes what the content of a social anthropology course is ?

I'd suggest looking at some social anthropology degree course webpages and looking through the course/module content sections to get a general idea. Ethnographic texts (and sometimes films) are an important source used in anthropology, and you'll probably read (or watch) quite a few of these. You'll also read sources of social theory (which may be more anthropological or sociological), often including Durkheim, Weber, and Marx and then moving onto more contemporary theorists. On the more anthropological side of the social theory you'll usually particularly study kinship, sex and gender, as well as anthropological approaches to religion and cosmology, and then depending on the course other areas of anthropological research interest to the faculty there.
Reply 4
I have applied for social anthropology at soas...do you know something about the course and the university in general?
I have applied for social anthropology at soas...do you know something about the course and the university in general?

For the course specifically, nothing more than the information on their webpages I'm afraid.

Generally, per the name, they're quite strong in Asian, Middle Eastern, and African regional studies, and have options focusing on regions that are often not represented in other universities - if you're interested in the cultures of these areas, the course will probably be quite appealing then. They also offer many languages from these reasons including, a large number of which are not offered anywhere else in the UK or only at a handful of other universities. Since to my knowledge you can take optional language modules even on single honours courses, and given that languages are very important and useful for anthropologists for fieldwork purposes, again this is a good opportunity if you're interested in focusing on some area they have the language for.
Does someone know what to study with a social anthropology degree ?

Study? You mean you want to do a masters now or do you mean what line of work to go into?
Reply 7
No soas offers me a place for an underdegree in social anthropology and another in development studies...I'm very confused between the two so I want to have information about the two curriculum ecc..?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending