The Student Room Group

MP has solution for knife crime!!!

Scroll to see replies

This is a really good article. The Police would not assume that the posh kid at Winchester can be a drug mule.
this just made my day, honestly.
Original post by Doones
Scott Mann, Conservative MP for North Cornwall, has announced a guaranteed solution to knife crime:

"Every knife sold in the UK should have a gps tracker fitted in the handle.

How is this possible this guy made it outside the hospital/school for intellectually retarded?
Maybe he used to be normal, but as an MP could afford buying and consuming too much alcohol?
Original post by Doones
So Mrs Jones will have to keep all her knives under lock and key? Or install CCTV in her knife drawer.
Does this include table knives? Butter knives?
Does she sign a waiver when she has a dinner party for her guests to use them?

you can do a lot of damage with a fish slice. there is a time and a plaice for humor

:angry:
Reply 64
Original post by Wired_1800
I understand, but here is my view.

These knives can be barcoded and registered during purchase. If Mrs. Jones purchases 2 knives, we know that she did and her information is recorded. It is her responsibility to monitor all her knives.

This includes all knives and for all activities including fishing.

1) What are you going to do about the tens if not hundreds of millions of unregistered, unbarcoded knives already in the hands of the public, in every single house up and down the country?

2) What is to stop criminals simply removing the barcode?

3) How will barcodes and registration actually deter anybody from carrying knives? They will still have to be caught in the act, and without stop and search that will prove no less difficult than it already is. Even with stop and search, you can't search everybody, most will still slip through the net, criminals have always known this and they aren't detered by these flimsy preventative measures

4) What about other sharply pointed objects that aren't knives? Screwdrivers? Chisels? Awls? Forks? Scissors? Metal pens? Nails? Screws? Are we just going to have to have a registry for all the pointy things in society?

5) What is to stop anybody just making a knife? Prisoners have been coming up with an all manner of inventive ways to make stabby things out of their extremely limited resources anybody with basic tools could make one. Buy a piece of flat steel from B&Q, file a point and edge on it, and hey presto you have a knife. Doesn't even need to be heat treated or well finished if it's only purpose is to stab somebody.

I definitely agree with this point. However, I think we need to get the knives off the streets whilst clamping down on the drug trade.

You are never going to get knives of the streets because you are never going to be able reduce the number of them in society (see my first point), this isn't the same as controlling firearms or similar weapons. Knives are one of the most, if not the most ubiquitous and widely used tool in every day life, they are literally in every home and that is unlikely to change any time soon. Focusing so much energy on knives as an object is a waste of time and resources that would be better spent tackling the real roots of violent crime as a whole.
*Gordan Ramsay house raided at 3am at suspected knife hoarde*

v.hard to implement especially with existing knives, and the epitomy of the nanny state
Original post by Wōden
1) What are you going to do about the tens if not hundreds of millions of unregistered, unbarcoded knives already in the hands of the public, in every single house up and down the country?

2) What is to stop criminals simply removing the barcode?

3) How will barcodes and registration actually deter anybody from carrying knives? They will still have to be caught in the act, and without stop and search that will prove no less difficult than it already is. Even with stop and search, you can't search everybody, most will still slip through the net, criminals have always known this and they aren't detered by these flimsy preventative measures

4) What about other sharply pointed objects that aren't knives? Screwdrivers? Chisels? Awls? Forks? Scissors? Metal pens? Nails? Screws? Are we just going to have to have a registry for all the pointy things in society?

5) What is to stop anybody just making a knife? Prisoners have been coming up with an all manner of inventive ways to make stabby things out of their extremely limited resources anybody with basic tools could make one. Buy a piece of flat steel from B&Q, file a point and edge on it, and hey presto you have a knife. Doesn't even need to be heat treated or well finished if it's only purpose is to stab somebody.

You are never going to get knives of the streets because you are never going to be able reduce the number of them in society (see my first point), this isn't the same as controlling firearms or similar weapons. Knives are one of the most, if not the most ubiquitous and widely used tool in every day life, they are literally in every home and that is unlikely to change any time soon. Focusing so much energy on knives as an object is a waste of time and resources that would be better spent tackling the real roots of violent crime as a whole.

Here is my view and I am not saying it is universal fact (before someone responds with aggressive rage)

First, I never said that should be done alone. There are many parts of the knife crime situation. We need to attack the source of the issue which are drugs and poverty. Then try to resolve the issue with violent attacks with knives.

1. If it was me, I would ask everyone to return their knives to be replaced by a barcoded replacement. You go to designated local shops to return your old knives and get the new ones. To control costs, everyone will be issue with 2 new knives in the first instance.

2. You are correct. Nothing can stop them, but everyone will be responsible for their knives. It is like a gun in the US, if it goes missing, you are in trouble. If it is found at a crime scene, you are responsible and have to be questioned. All guns are registered in the US.

3. This would be done through a series of actions. First, increase stop and search to everyone both men and women as well as black, white and asian. Anyone caught with knives receive zero tolerance. Second, people monitor their own knives. If your knife is gone, it is your responsibility.

4. These can also be registered. However, seeing that knives are the weapons of choice, we would start with those weapons.

5. True. Like I said before, knives are the weapons of choice at the moment. Once there is move towards other weapons, there would be decisions on how to control those materials. Bear in mind that there are other programmes to reduce the likelihood of individuals falling into the drug crime and joining gangs.

To your final point, I don't agree. I think it can be controlled.
Original post by AperfectBalance

unlike a gun where the only purpose of it is to harm people.

All I hurt with my gun is a bit of paper and my wallet, possibly even the person who owns the range as he has to sweep up all the lead every once in a while and I recon that would take a bit of effort.

I mean as in physical body harm, that's what guns are designed for you can't deny it. Guns should remained banned as far as I am concerned, one of the many reasons I refuse to go to America
Here is my view and I am not saying it is universal fact (before someone responds with aggressive rage)

First, I never said that should be done alone. There are many parts of the knife crime situation. We need to attack the source of the issue which are drugs and poverty. Then try to resolve the issue with violent attacks with knives.

1. If it was me, I would ask everyone to return their knives to be replaced by a barcoded replacement. You go to designated local shops to return your old knives and get the new ones. To control costs, everyone will be issue with 2 new knives in the first instance.

2. You are correct. Nothing can stop them, but everyone will be responsible for their knives. It is like a gun in the US, if it goes missing, you are in trouble. If it is found at a crime scene, you are responsible and have to be questioned. All guns are registered in the US.

3. This would be done through a series of actions. First, increase stop and search to everyone both men and women as well as black, white and asian. Anyone caught with knives receive zero tolerance. Second, people monitor their own knives. If your knife is gone, it is your responsibility.

4. These can also be registered. However, seeing that knives are the weapons of choice, we would start with those weapons.

5. True. Like I said before, knives are the weapons of choice at the moment. Once there is move towards other weapons, there would be decisions on how to control those materials. Bear in mind that there are other programmes to reduce the likelihood of individuals falling into the drug crime and joining gangs.

4 - How big is your registry going to be? If you’re going to count anything that could be dangerous, then that’s pretty much any solid object - it would be like indexing all the grains of sand on a beach.
OK. You've have rid the streets of knlves, and. everyones cutlery is registered and accounted for but there are still people being attacked and injured and this i
simply unacceptable. It must foreigners bringing illegal cutlery over the border so you build a wall and keep traffic in and OUT to minimum. You may as well change your name now to the P.D.R.U.K..

I can't believe what I'm reading here. A national database for registering knives in an attempt to reduce crime.. Your country better start looking in the right hand for solutions to it's perceived crises before it's too late.
Reply 71
Original post by Doones
Scott Mann, Conservative MP for North Cornwall, has announced a guaranteed solution to knife crime:

"Every knife sold in the UK should have a gps tracker fitted in the handle. It’s time we had a national database like we do with guns. If you’re carrying it around you had better have a bloody good explanation, obvious exemptions for fishing etc."
https://twitter.com/scottmann4NC/status/1106128906480951296

Twitter is amused:

etc...

Yes i understand and appreciate the gps joke but knife crime is not being taken seriously enough by politicians. I think similar methods should be used such as the ones they use to monitor and track down terror suspects .
Cornish? Must be another inbred...
Original post by tazarooni89
What if people just start stabbing each other using forks instead?

Imagines Satan with his pitchfork.

Quick question, you do realise that different styles of knives have different purposes? That 5/7 kitchen knife sets exist for a reason? Then you have hobby knives, with multiple blade types for cutting different materials and control of cut? Then there are work knives, pocket knives, fishing knives, and many others. Not to mention cutlery sets...

For points 4 and 5, I was unable to find the exact article but the below is approximately the same...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29224/heres-what-london-police-recovered-weapons-sweep-paul-bois
Original post by Salostar
Quick question, you do realise that different styles of knives have different purposes? That 5/7 kitchen knife sets exist for a reason? Then you have hobby knives, with multiple blade types for cutting different materials and control of cut? Then there are work knives, pocket knives, fishing knives, and many others. Not to mention cutlery sets...

For points 4 and 5, I was unable to find the exact article but the below is approximately the same...

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29224/heres-what-london-police-recovered-weapons-sweep-paul-bois

Yes, i know that. To me, there may have to a discussion on how to provide for the different sorts.

To your second point and link, other items can be controlled. The key point is registering your items at the time of purchase. There are also UV tags that can be used to label items. We use them on bikes at my uni.
Original post by jameswhughes
4 - How big is your registry going to be? If you’re going to count anything that could be dangerous, then that’s pretty much any solid object - it would be like indexing all the grains of sand on a beach.

Yes, I agree.

If you read my other posts, you would see that my proposal has multiple layers of social policy. People are just focused on the control of knives and other sharp objects.

People are not even putting out their own suggestions. They are only interested in explaining why it is wrong.
Original post by yankeedog1953
OK. You've have rid the streets of knlves, and. everyones cutlery is registered and accounted for but there are still people being attacked and injured and this i

Original post by yankeedog1953
simply unacceptable. It must foreigners bringing illegal cutlery over the border so you build a wall and keep traffic in and OUT to minimum. You may as well change your name now to the P.D.R.U.K..

I can't believe what I'm reading here. A national database for registering knives in an attempt to reduce crime.. Your country better start looking in the right hand for solutions to it's perceived crises before it's too late.

How do you suggest that we resolve the knife crime issue? Rather than bashing those who are putting out suggestions, why don't you propose a counter suggestion?
Yes, I agree.

If you read my other posts, you would see that my proposal has multiple layers of social policy. People are just focused on the control of knives and other sharp objects.

People are not even putting out their own suggestions. They are only interested in explaining why it is wrong.

The idea is ridiculous, which is what the whole thread is about.

How would you register every object in the country? If this were possible, do you think it would stop anyone? Even if you put a GPS tracker on every knife sold at Tesco all this would mean is that ordinary people won't be able to afford to cut up their food. Criminals will just make their own, or use something else - and there must be billions of knives in the country already.
Original post by jameswhughes
The idea is ridiculous, which is what the whole thread is about.

How would you register every object in the country? If this were possible, do you think it would stop anyone? Even if you put a GPS tracker on every knife sold at Tesco all this would mean is that ordinary people won't be able to afford to cut up their food. Criminals will just make their own, or use something else - and there must be billions of knives in the country already.

At least he made a suggestion, rather than stick his head in the sand and pretend there is no issue.

Stop and search reduced the carriage of knives when it was previously used. Unfortunately it was racially biased.

There are layers to the solution which include control of sharp objects including knives, more funding in local communities and harsher punishments.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending