The Student Room Group

Doctoral Student Loans for EU Students

I have received a conditional offer for a PhD in Cambridge starting 1st October 2019. I'm an EU citizen and i'm wondering if the UK government will provide student loans for EU postgraduate students for 2019.
Thank you in advance for your help
Original post by twinpower
I have received a conditional offer for a PhD in Cambridge starting 1st October 2019. I'm an EU citizen and i'm wondering if the UK government will provide student loans for EU postgraduate students for 2019.
Thank you in advance for your help

Hi,

In the three years prior to the course starting have you been ordinarily resident in the UK/EU?

Thanks,
Stuart
Reply 2
34 years in Greece!

Thank you very much for the reply
34 years in Greece!

Thank you very much for the reply

Thanks for that. EU domiciled students must be an EU national on the 1st day of the 1st academic year of the course and attending or undertaking a designated course in England to be eligible for funding. So if you've been in the EU for the 3 years prior, you would be eligible to apply when the applications open in the summer.

EU Nationals starting or continuing on a course in England will remain eligible for financial support from Student Finance England for the duration of their course, providing they meet the existing residency requirements. This will be the case even if the course ends after the UK has left the EU.

Regards,
Stuart
Reply 4
First of all thank you for all the useful information.
I am really glad that i will have a chance for a loan because i'm planning to come along with my family (wife and twin girls) and expenses are very high. I assume that all the papers needed for the loan will be the same as they were in previous years, so i can start collecting them until applications open in the summer.
Regards,
Konstantinos
First of all thank you for all the useful information.
I am really glad that i will have a chance for a loan because i'm planning to come along with my family (wife and twin girls) and expenses are very high. I assume that all the papers needed for the loan will be the same as they were in previous years, so i can start collecting them until applications open in the summer.
Regards,
Konstantinos

Hi Konstantinos,

If you already have a student finance account you would use that when applying. When you send your ID it will need to be your original valid passport or national ID card. Keep an eye on our social media channels and the gov.uk website for updates when the applications open.

Regards,
Stuart
Reply 6
One last question, the loan is only for tuition fees as i'm an EU citizen or it covers some maintenance too?
One last question, the loan is only for tuition fees as i'm an EU citizen or it covers some maintenance too?

The Postgraduate Doctoral Loan is a contribution towards total costs and paid directly to you. So it can be used for tuition fees or maintenance at your discretion.

Regards,
Stuart
Reply 8
Hello again.

i'm trying to collect what is needed for the application. what should i have to prove my address history? I assume that this has to be translated in English as i am an EU national living in Greece. Are British Council translations valid?

Thank you in advance
Hello again.

i'm trying to collect what is needed for the application. what should i have to prove my address history? I assume that this has to be translated in English as i am an EU national living in Greece. Are British Council translations valid?

Thank you in advance

Hi there,

We just need the form and your ID. No other evidence is required.

Regards,
Nihad
Reply 10
Hello there,
I just finished my application and i have a question. Do I have to send my original passport and not o photocopy of it? when and how are they going to return it to me?

Thank you very much
Hi,

Yes for the doctoral loan you would need to send your original ID. We would return this to the address on your account using secure delivery as soon as it has been processed and reviewed. Currently we're processing ID documents within 5 working days however this can fluctuate depending on workload.

Thanks, Tégan
Reply 12
I sent my original passport and my application got the green light.
I can see the scheduled payments but they are signed as BLOCKED.
it says i have to provide i) NHS number and ii) bank details.
I will open a bank account when i arrive at the UK in late September.
My question is how could i provide a NHS number as I am an EU national?
Original post by SFE Tegan
Hi,

Yes for the doctoral loan you would need to send your original ID. We would return this to the address on your account using secure delivery as soon as it has been processed and reviewed. Currently we're processing ID documents within 5 working days however this can fluctuate depending on workload.

Thanks, Tégan
Reply 13
Hi there,

This is automatically done as normally we would do a check with the Department for works and pensions to see if you have a national insurance, we're aware you won't have this unless you're working in the UK so this will be updated. Once you have a UK bank account you can update this on your online account here http://ow.ly/dRKY30mAdwu. Thanks, Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending