The Student Room Group

Students around the world walk out on climate change

Whilst reactionary adults are focused on pointless and destructive nationalist agendas, such as Brexit, young people of the world have their eyes on more important matters like the future survival of our and other species and a livable world.

Live updates
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2019/mar/15/climate-strikes-2019-live-latest-climate-change-global-warming

Young climate activists around the world: why I'm striking today
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/15/young-climate-activists-striking-today-campaigners

Five ways you can support the climate action today
https://350.org/support-schoolstrike/

Scroll to see replies

That is pretty impressive. It is a shame nobody with the power to make real change is going to listen.

https://www.fridaysforfuture.org/events/map
Original post by Decahedron
That is pretty impressive. It is a shame nobody with the power to make real change is going to listen.

Well, you never can say that for sure - one wonders, if these protests are so ineffective, why so many senior politicians have lectured kids about the need to return to school.

The simple fact remains that our governments are not even taking half the steps they need to in the face of ecocide.
Reply 3
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Well, you never can say that for sure - one wonders, if these protests are so ineffective, why so many senior politicians have lectured kids about the need to return to school.

The simple fact remains that our governments are not even taking half the steps they need to in the face of ecocide.

It'll be more a victim of timing than anything else. After NZ, this won't get any attention.
Students, aka flagrant self-important gobshites, walked out.

FIFY

To some degree it doesn't matter if they do. For example Bristol council declared a climate emergency and continue to back airport expansion. To some degree the socio-political and economic structures that exist make it borderline impossible for anyone to get anything done without a something far more significant than getting MPs to pull their heads out of their own arses.

Gotta love the 'why can't they do it a more convenient time' people who seem to have entirely misunderstood the very purpose of a protest.
Original post by Notoriety
Students, aka flagrant self-important gobshites, walked out.

FIFY

I take it you’re not a student yourself?
Original post by 150319
I take it you’re not a student yourself?

Do I look like a gobshite? Riddle me that.

Yes :h:
Yes :h:

No more reps for you, methinks.
No more reps for you, methinks.

I don't need your tainted rep, I get most of mine from colouring competitions :bootyshake:

Having never encountered you outside of a computer screen, that’s impossible to answer with any certainty.

But if I’m to take that answer as “no”, then hats off to you. I’m not a student either (at least not in the traditional sense of the word), and it doesn’t appear to have done me much harm as far as I can tell.
"Let's stage a protest over this big thing governments all over the world have already acknowledged as a serious problem, have global summits on, and are already trying to tackle. That's totally not a redundant waste of our time and basically just a big virtue signal and day off from writing essays. It'll actually achieve something."
Original post by Dandaman1
"Let's stage a protest over this big thing governments all over the world have already acknowledged as a serious problem, have global summits on, and are already trying to tackle. That's totally not a redundant waste of our time and basically just a big virtue signal and day off from writing essays. It'll actually achieve something."

Well recently the president of the most powerful country in the world conflated global warming with a bit of snow.So clearly it's not been acknowledged enough.The same president pulled us out of the Paris agreement and the rest of the world is giving nothing but half-measures.
Good for them. The fiasco of Brexit negotiations is a great example of what happens when urgent action is left up to a political class that's riven by sectional interests. Ecosystem collapse is imminent. We can't trust the politicians and industrialists who profit from it to stop it. Direct action - by school students and everyone else - is necessary.
Original post by AJ126
Well recently the president of the most powerful country in the world conflated global warming with a bit of snow.So clearly it's not been acknowledged enough.The same president pulled us out of the Paris agreement and the rest of the world is giving nothing but half-measures.

I'm sure president Trump will see these protests and change his mind.

Any politician that gives a damn about what protesting students have to say is probably aboard the climate change action train already.

These protests are a nice display of righteousness, and they might make people feel good about themselves for 'doing something', but they won't accomplish anything. Literally no government is going to be like: "Hey, those kids are protesting about that climate change thing we already have entire departments, the freaking UN and butt loads of people working on, so I guess we should do more."
Original post by Dandaman1
I'm sure president Trump will see these protests and change his mind.

Any politician that gives a damn about what protesting students have to say is probably aboard the climate change action train already.

These protests are a nice display of righteousness, and they might make people feel good about themselves for 'doing something', but they won't accomplish anything. Literally no government is going to be like: "Hey, those kids are protesting about that climate change thing we already have entire departments, the freaking UN and butt loads of people working on, so I guess we should do more."

They probably won't but neither will sitting on your arse.The government's of the world are not doing nearly enough about it.Its too little, too late and profit is king.They know all about it yet prefer to stick their heads in the sand.They have every right to protest if they want to just as much as anyone else.How else are they going to change anything? Voting? Most of them are too young.Its them that are going to suffer the consequences not anyone in government today.Whats your solution to enact change then? Rebellion?
Original post by AJ126
They probably won't but neither will sitting on your arse.The government's of the world are not doing nearly enough about it.Its too little, too late and profit is king.They know all about it yet prefer to stick their heads in the sand.They have every right to protest if they want to just as much as anyone else.How else are they going to change anything? Voting? Most of them are too young.Its them that are going to suffer the consequences not anyone in government today.Whats your solution to enact change then? Rebellion?

They obviously have the right to protest climate change, but as I've already pointed out, it's not likely to accomplish anything. It's redundant. They're better off spending their time in school where they can learn about science, engineering, politics, and how to change the world when they are older.

A number of governments have already cut their GHG emissions significantly or are making substantial efforts to do so. But cutting emissions isn't exactly easy for a lot of countries, especially developing nations. The US is one of the leading nations in reducing carbon emissions, by the way. There's also been billions of dollars worth of investment into renewable energy. But again, children protesting isn't going to expedite this process.
good on them, lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending