The Student Room Group

Islamophobic terrorist told followers to subscribe to Pewdiepie

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
The general rise or fall in violent crime cannot be used as evidence for or against the idea that video games lead to more crime. For example, violent crimes caused by video games could have increased while overall crime is falling for completely separate reasons. Scientific studies don't just look at the overall crime rate.

I can't be bothered to write a full and well referenced reply to a myth that was discredited decades ago.

Next OP is going to say the shooter was a massive fan of Manhunt.
Reply 41
Original post by AngeryPenguin
I didn't blame video game culture. I suggested it had links to extremism. This man almost certainly would have killed without video games. But that fact does not absolve violent video games.

It does absolve violent video games? Science has repeatedly absolved violent video games?
I was not aware of Spyro the Dragon.

Why are the attacks not more common? Well, partly one must suppose because the more violent video games, while having a huge audience, are still largely played by kids, who do not have ready access to guns.

I didn't call Fortnite racist. The killer seemed to say it inspired him. If he mentioned Spyro the Dragon too, then I am indeed now a bit confused about his point.

You have no evidence to say the more violent games are played by kids.
You started off by making unsubstantiated and ridiculous claims and continue to do so.
Just because a terrorist of questionable intelligence and sanity makes one mention of a video game played by tens of millions, then you cant make the claims you have with any credibility and no evidence.

You claimed:

Can we please admit that video game culture has a huge ****ing problem with racism and promoting pointless violence?

Where is the racism in video game culture?
It doesnt actually promote real violence.
(edited 5 years ago)
Video games promote racism? Oh FFS
Original post by 999tigger
You have no evidence to say the more violent games are played by kids.
You started off by making unsubstantiated and ridiculous claims and continue to do so.
Just because a terrorist of questionable intelligence and sanity makes one mention of a video game played by tens of millions, then you cant make the claims you have with any credibility and no evidence.

You claimed:

Can we please admit that video game culture has a huge ****ing problem with racism and promoting pointless violence?

Where is the racism in video game culture?
It doesnt actually promote real violence.

I thought it was self-evident that video games are less popular among older people. But I'll find a study if you insist...

If video game culture is so clean, why is saying the n-word on stream not a career-ending event, but rather as just going a bit OTT? How many subscribers did Pewdiepie lose after that? After promoting an actual Nazi channel on Youtube?

You and I are generally in agreement, so I'm a bit surprised you disagree here. Maybe we mean different things by video game culture?
He also said Fortnite inspired him to kill.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/03/new-zealand-gunman-says-subscribe-to-pewdiepie-moments-before-livestreaming-shooting/

Honestly I think it most likely that: he said what he did because he knew that people such as yourself would take his word as gospel, as ridiculous as that word is, and go on to write news stories and have arguments with people because of that belief that there is any truth to what he said, when he knows himself that there's absolutely none; that he's getting a kick at your expense; that basically he's trolling you.
(edited 5 years ago)
I thought it was self-evident that video games are less popular among older people. But I'll find a study if you insist...

If video game culture is so clean, why is saying the n-word on stream not a career-ending event, but rather as just going a bit OTT? How many subscribers did Pewdiepie lose after that? After promoting an actual Nazi channel on Youtube?

You and I are generally in agreement, so I'm a bit surprised you disagree here. Maybe we mean different things by video game culture?

Saying one word should not end somebody’s career.
Reply 47
Can we please admit that a side of video game culture might have a problem with racism and, dare I mention it, violence?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/03/new-zealand-gunman-says-subscribe-to-pewdiepie-moments-before-livestreaming-shooting/

Lmao, that's the stupidest thing I've heard today.
Of course we should subscribe to PewDiePie - T Series is being promoted only by George Soros and other cultural Marxists.
Can we please admit that a side of video game culture might have a problem with racism and, dare I mention it, violence?

Christ alive, this is the most dense opinion I've ever read.

Maybe some stats could back your empty, vacuum of a view up. Don't go around throwing baseless accusations.
(edited 5 years ago)

Stop making claims without backing them up.
https://www.polygon.com/2016/4/29/11539102/gaming-stats-2016-esa-essential-facts

There are tens of millions of video game players.
A considerable number of those are adults because they have played them since they were young and have the income to carry on playing them.

Look at this survey.
Demographics

63 percent of U.S. households surveyed include at least one frequent gamer.
65 percent of homes own a video game-playing device, while 48 percent own "a dedicated game console."
47 percent of gamers are between 18 and 49 years old.
The average guy who plays games is 35; the average woman is 44.
59 percent of those who play games on a regular basis are men; 41 percent are women.
The average gamer has been playing video games for 13 years.
https://www.polygon.com/2016/4/29/11539102/gaming-stats-2016-esa-essential-facts

Who said video game culture is clean? What do you mean by clean?
Would you describe yourself as a gamer? You seem to show no knowledge but make big claims.

Pewdipie is a youtuber and not a video game. You are changing the subject again.

You and I ARE NOT in agreement.
You have made several claims, which I believe are completely without substance.

He didn't promote Nazism knowingly or at all really. He shouted out a channel which contained some anti-semitic content. He only mentioned that channel in one video essasy about Death Note, a Manga series.

He profusely apologised afterwards.

I can imagine you are the kind of person who reads these online articles about this from companies such as The Verge which love to criticise Youtubers and drum up false outrage because they are afraid that their platform is dying and being overtaken by YT.
There's a massive difference between somebody like Ben Shapiro speaking freely about a topic, as everybody should be allowed to do, and a guy who walks into a mosque and murders a bunch of people. I'm not exactly a fan of Ben Shapiro, but from what i've seen he doesn't employ hate speech as a tactic in his discussions, and i'm sure he would condemn these attacks.

Even mentioning Pewdiepie is just stupid. He literally never talks about politics, or his own views on anything political. Go ahead and try and find a video he's posted that would in anyway radicalise a person. You wouldn't. It's quite incredible how the media have managed to permanently stain his image because he made a couple of edgy jokes and said the n-word once, and now there's just this group of people who go along with it. People are so easily manipulated by media. This guy was probably taking the piss, quoting a meme. He probably knew how the media would react.
After promoting an actual Nazi channel on Youtube?

What sort of BS media do you read? If you think Pewdiepie knowingly promoted a Nazi channel, you're an actual mug.
Original post by Quixote.
What sort of BS media do you read? If you think Pewdiepie knowingly promoted a Nazi channel, you're an actual mug.

He is either a troll or a moron.
Original post by 999tigger
There are tens of millions of video game players.
A considerable number of those are adults because they have played them since they were young and have the income to carry on playing them.

*hundreds of millions.
Original post by RatRaceEscapee
Well, as far as I can tell the most racist, xenophobic and violent cultures are not known to be much into gaming...

Piffle and poppycock. Mario caused 9/11 and Fortnite is responsible for slavery. You can’t deny the factzsz
Original post by YaliaV
Piffle and poppycock. Mario caused 9/11 and Fortnite is responsible for slavery. You can’t deny the factzsz

Call of Duty caused WW2 confirmed? They are both about the same thing.
(edited 5 years ago)
It's not the violent content of the video games as such. Everyone (mostly) knows it is wrong to steel a car and then proceed to shoot a load of people. It's the culture surrounding the games that is the problem. It tends to get wound up in right wing anti-sjw stuff eg anger at feminism ruining their games. There is an overlap in the venn diagram between that and proper fascist views.

Contrapoints is a good YouTuber who takes on this kind of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNvsIonJdJ5E4EXMa65VYpA

The subscribe to pewdiepie thing is also a meme

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/the-great-subscriber-war

It is largely out of pewdiepies control that this stuff happens. Like how that frog became a fascist meme. The creator of the original frog had nothing to do with that happening. Although PewdiePie does not seem to take seriously how influential he is and is generally thoughtless about it all.
(edited 5 years ago)
My brother has played violent video games since he was around 8 yrs old
Recently (on top of the gun games) he has started playing WWE and we're paying the consequences for it
He's become so violent and no one can say it's not becuz of the games becuz he was nvr like this before
He has rly bad anger issues and will beat up people, he doesn't care who
He's 12 years old

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending