The Student Room Group

Likelihood of letting agent letting me out of contract i signed less than 24h ago?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notoriety
Not saying the end result is wrong, but the reasoning in this is as sloppy as ****. The Consumer Contracts (ICAC) Regs 2013 apply to a bunch of contract types beyond credit. The key test is whether the contract was concluded via distance or off-premises.

Apparently tenancies have a (possibly recent) exception to them in that they automatically count as taking place at the providers premises. I'd googled it when i was moaning this morning and it seems areally common question with plenty landlords not too sure at times.
(edited 5 years ago)
To be fair tenants not allowing access for a viewing is a bad sign in itself, that would usually suggest that the relationship between the tenants and landlord/letting agent have broken down which for a student let probably means that the landlord is a major nuisance.
Never sign a contract before viewing the property, that's a big no-no.
Original post by Notoriety
Not saying the end result is wrong, but the reasoning in this is as sloppy as ****. The Consumer Contracts (ICAC) Regs 2013 apply to a bunch of contract types beyond credit. The key test is whether the contract was concluded via distance or off-premises.

I think residential tenancies are excluded. Not that i'm in the mood for arguing, but out of Harrysbar and Striderhort I would have been going along with the latter. Notwithstanding a happy ending and the OP escaped.
Original post by 999tigger
I think residential tenancies are excluded. Not that i'm in the mood for arguing, but out of Harrysbar and Striderhort I would have been going along with the latter. Notwithstanding a happy ending and the OP escaped.

The Regs lists contracts which are not covered by it. I don't believe tenancies were listed. But like you don't particularly care either way.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by orich2948
Didn't mean to post as anon sorry

Out of interest will they be refunding your deposit?
Reply 26
Yeah, they said to send over my bank details but it will take a few weeks to process. I would have understood losing it but the deposit wasnt admin fees or a holding fee, it was for damages to the property
Original post by orich2948
Yeah, they said to send over my bank details but it will take a few weeks to process. I would have understood losing it but the deposit wasnt admin fees or a holding fee, it was for damages to the property

That's great news, glad you got that sorted out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending