The Student Room Group

UCL

I want to apply to UCL for a law LLB the requirements are A*AA in a levels and 6(b) in English language and maths GCSE
im still in year 12 however for GCSE I got a 5 in maths as I done foundation maths which the highest you can get is a 5 and UCL is one of my fav unis and really want to apply but I really hate maths, what should I do ???because I would have to re take maths(which I HATE) and do higher which is different from what I studied in foundation
Trust me, get a better grade in maths. You don't want that to be your limiting factor down the line.
Original post by MartHer
I want to apply to UCL for a law LLB the requirements are A*AA in a levels and 6(b) in English language and maths GCSE
im still in year 12 however for GCSE I got a 5 in maths as I done foundation maths which the highest you can get is a 5 and UCL is one of my fav unis and really want to apply but I really hate maths, what should I do ???because I would have to re take maths(which I HATE) and do higher which is different from what I studied in foundation

If they say they want grade 6 in maths then it would be a waste of a UCAS choice to apply for Law there. So if you don't want to retake your maths, you have 2 options. The first is to apply for a different course at UCL (History, for example, only requires a 5 in Maths) and then convert to Law post graduation (currently you can do this via a one year GDL although this is changing). Your second option is to apply for Law degrees at different unis such as KCL
Reply 3
thank you so much, not going to lie this was very helpful, KCL does look very good LSE only needs a 5 in maths but it’s so hard to get into!! what uni do you do to?
Original post by harrysbar
If they say they want grade 6 in maths then it would be a waste of a UCAS choice to apply for Law there. So if you don't want to retake your maths, you have 2 options. The first is to apply for a different course at UCL (History, for example, only requires a 5 in Maths) and then convert to Law post graduation (currently you can do this via a one year GDL although this is changing). Your second option is to apply for Law degrees at different unis such as KCL
Original post by MartHer
thank you so much, not going to lie this was very helpful, KCL does look very good LSE only needs a 5 in maths but it’s so hard to get into!! what uni do you do to?

That's ok, I'm not at uni but I used to work as a careers adviser which is how I know a bit about Admissions. My kids went/go to Lancaster, Birmingham & Exeter :smile:
I would say you should retake, however, you should still apply to UCL, I got a 4 in English language and I currently have 4 offers and waiting on last one, so there's still a chance!
Original post by Afterlife?
I would say you should retake, however, you should still apply to UCL, I got a 4 in English language and I currently have 4 offers and waiting on last one, so there's still a chance!

Yes but did you get into UCL with a 4 in English Language???
UCL is extremely competitive, and they have explicitly stated that they want a 6
Original post by MartHer

LSE is only one choice out of five, but unless you are Asian, do not get your hopes up.
Yes but did you get into UCL with a 4 in English Language???
UCL is extremely competitive, and they have explicitly stated that they want a 6

Well I applied to ucl but I’m still waiting as my course is psychology and they are very slow however I hold an offer from kcl and they want a B/6 so that must significant
Well I applied to ucl but I’m still waiting as my course is psychology and they are very slow however I hold an offer from kcl and they want a B/6 so that must significant

Kings want a B in Maths for Psychology but do not state that they want a B in English Language, which is why you were eligible for an offer
Kings want a B in Maths for Psychology but do not state that they want a B in English Language, which is why you were eligible for an offer

Under English language requirements it’s s band D which is a B IN GCSE
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/english-language
Under English language requirements it’s s band D which is a B IN GCSE
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/english-language

I think that the English language requirement you are stating applies to International students, and in any case I cannot really comment on why King's might have made an exception in your case without seeing your whole UCAS application. There are many many examples of people on TSR not getting offers at their chosen unis due to lacking the stated minimum requirements, so it remains very risky advice to suggest that OP should apply to Law at UCL without meeting the stated GCSE maths requirement. With respect, Law at UCL will be more competitive than Psychology at Kings, (which only started running the course in 2015) and is less likely to be lenient with their GCSE or any other requirement.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have an unconditional offer for law at UCL, and I got a C in maths at GCSE.
Original post by tenacity
I have an unconditional offer for law at UCL, and I got a C in maths at GCSE.

Again, I can't comment on why UCL might have been unusually lenient in your particular case - maybe you are bringing more to the table as a mature student with work experience, for example.

For the average 17/18 year old applying straight from school, unis tend to be more strict on them meeting the stated entry requirements since they have nothing else by which to choose between them, really.
Again, I can't comment on why UCL might have been unusually lenient in your particular case - maybe you are bringing more to the table as a mature student with work experience, for example.

For the average 17/18 year old applying straight from school, unis tend to be more strict on them meeting the stated entry requirements since they have nothing else by which to choose between them, really.

My employment history was omitted from my application.

Entry requirements should be used as a guide, particularly as far as GCSEs are concerned. Clearly it makes it less likely that someone will be successful with such a competitive course if they do not meet the entry requirements, but clearly also if the LNAT, PS and reference are strong enough then allowances are sometimes made.
Original post by tenacity
My employment history was omitted from my application.

Entry requirements should be used as a guide, particularly as far as GCSEs are concerned. Clearly it makes it less likely that someone will be successful with such a competitive course if they do not meet the entry requirements, but clearly also if the LNAT, PS and reference are strong enough then allowances are sometimes made.

I would not dispute that allowances are sometimes made but this is much more likely to be the case with non standard applications. I was working under the assumption that OP was a standard 17/18 year old competing with hundreds of others just like them. If any applicant thinks they have something special to offer - whether that is applying as a mature student or having a particularly strong LNAT, then of course they should check with the uni admissions whether there could be flexibility in their case.
Original post by MartHer

Did you end up applying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending