The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Missing out.. not going to gradball and graduation

I really want to celebrate after exams by going to gradball and the nights out after exams but that's not gonna happen.
I have no friends ( don't think I've ever really had any real friends in life)
Might just get drunk on my own in my room
Would it be weird to anonymously email my year to see if there are others like me who want to go ? ( think that's a bit too pathetic and embarrassing tbh)

No point really going to graduation either, would be too awkward, not knowing anyone, can't take pic with friends. Can't explain to parents why I'm not with my friends( made up btw) that I've told them about.
Celebrate in the way that makes you the most happy- with or without other people.
You won't be missing out by choosing not to attend the graduation ceremony or gradball.
I didn't go to my undergrad or postgrad ceremonies- couldn't afford the costs and I knew the people I do my best to avoid would come there trying to see me.

It sounds like you want to make some friends.
Why not check out the events that local bars, clubs and irish pubs will be running tomorrow for st paddy's day.
You could also look into volunteering opportunities with charities that you care about.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
lmaooo, we both have no friends.

lets do our own grad ball with the geese
Reply 3
Yeah I'd rather celebrate with people, but that's not going to happen.

Yeah I need friends but it's far too late for that now
Come grad ball I'd probably get pissed drunk on my own.
Original post by londonmyst
Celebrate in the way that makes you the most happy- with or without other people.
You won't be missing out by choosing not to attend the graduation ceremony or gradball.
I didn't go to my undergrad or postgrad ceremonies- couldn't afford the costs and I knew the people I do my best to avoid would come there trying to see me.

It sounds like you want to make some friends.
Why not check out the events that local bars, clubs and irish pubs will be running tomorrow for st paddy's day.
You could also look into volunteering opportunities with charities that you care about.
Reply 4
Loool I'd be down 😂
Original post by Anonymous
lmaooo, we both have no friends.

lets do our own grad ball with the geese
I haven’t made close friends either, feel like such a loner 😩 rly dreading graduation as it’s gonna be bare awkward

I need to think of a good excuse to tell my parents about why I don’t want to go, but I’m too ashamed to admit I didn’t make close friends
Honestly tempted to pretend I’m too sick to go lool
I really want to celebrate after exams by going to gradball and the nights out after exams but that's not gonna happen.
I have no friends ( don't think I've ever really had any real friends in life)
Might just get drunk on my own in my room
Would it be weird to anonymously email my year to see if there are others like me who want to go ? ( think that's a bit too pathetic and embarrassing tbh)

No point really going to graduation either, would be too awkward, not knowing anyone, can't take pic with friends. Can't explain to parents why I'm not with my friends( made up btw) that I've told them about.

You would be surprised how many students have been in the same situation as you! I didn't go the grad ball either but I did attend my graduation ceremony.

On the day you will be allocated a seat with the rest of your course which you must stay in (so even if you did have lots of friends you wouldn't be able to sit with them) , you mainly just sit there and wait for your name to be called, then collect your degree and go home! Doubt your family will notice you don't have many / any friends, mine didn't :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah i feel the same, I was thinking about faking illness too but my parents really want to go.

Also I just got an email about gradball, last day to get tickets
I haven’t made close friends either, feel like such a loner 😩 rly dreading graduation as it’s gonna be bare awkward

I need to think of a good excuse to tell my parents about why I don’t want to go, but I’m too ashamed to admit I didn’t make close friends
Honestly tempted to pretend I’m too sick to go lool
Reply 8
Yeah hopefully it's just like you said,

I'm definitely going going to graduation because my parents really want to go. I can't handle the awkwardness and questions

Original post by inspireyou
You would be surprised how many students have been in the same situation as you! I didn't go the grad ball either but I did attend my graduation ceremony.

On the day you will be allocated a seat with the rest of your course which you must stay in (so even if you did have lots of friends you wouldn't be able to sit with them) , you mainly just sit there and wait for your name to be called, then collect your degree and go home! Doubt your family will notice you don't have many / any friends, mine didn't :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest