The Student Room Group

GCSEs AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

hi hello please help I am slowly dying

so i'm a year 11 and I have no clue what I'm doing! I don't know for how long to revise, what to revise etc.!

A big issue is that once I get home I'm so tired so I don't have the motivation to revise :frown: on top of that, there's a lot of rubbish I have to deal w at the moment and I just don't know how I'm supposed to balance it with doing well in 11 subjects and make it out the other side.

I basically just have no clue what I'm doing but feel like it's already too late :frown: pls help I am stressed sigh

Scroll to see replies

It’s never too late to start revising. Get a revision timetable (there are sites that’ll do this for you) so you divide your time evenly. Buy CGP books and workbooks - these are helpful, and use any online sites your teachers provide you with. Do exam questions and look at the mark scheme.

Regarding you being tired after school, try and revise at lunchtimes, and before school if you can, to maximise the revision time. Have a break after school but try to do at least one hour a night and you should be good.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Thank you! I've attached my revision timetable (how successfully that is is very much another matter but I've tried). Is it okay?
Thanks again
Original post by harry0572
It’s never too late to start revising. Get a revision timetable (there are sites that’ll do this for you) so you divide your time evenly. Buy CGP books and workbooks - these are helpful, and use any online sites your teachers provide you with. Do exam questions and look at the mark scheme.

Regarding you being tired after school, try and revise at lunchtimes, and before school if you can, to maximise the revision time. Have a break after school but try to do at least one hour a night and you should be good.

Hope this helps.
Looks good, if you stick to that, you should start to feel more confident about your GCSEs; make sure you don’t work too late

Let me know if you need any help.

Good luck.
Reply 4
I'm doing 10 subjects, not 11, but I'm sure the same things apply. I'm doing GCSEs this year too, and I'm not stressed, but worried that I won't revise everything in time.

That aside, I'd recommend you to have 25-30 minute sessions, then take a 5-10 minute break. Repeat this for each hour you do, so eg 50 minutes studying and 10 minutes resting. Splitting it into sessions like this makes it easier for you to retain information.

But retaining it for the long-term? Use spaced repetition - repeat the information every so often, eg every two days, then every week, then every two weeks, until you get to the exams.
Reply 5
Well I've had it since Feb and am slowly learning to offset the crippling fatigue in favour of borderline productivity. I will try to get a good amount of sleep though. Thank you!
Original post by harry0572
Looks good, if you stick to that, you should start to feel more confident about your GCSEs; make sure you don’t work too late

Let me know if you need any help.

Good luck.
have you tried gcse pod? it can be good for small 'nuggets' of revision, like on the bus to school or whatever
It's never too late until April. I started properly revising from the easter holidays and managed to get decent results. Well I did know most of the stuff by listening properly during lessons but that was about it. When you get your exam timetable try to be efficient with the order of subjects you revise...

As long as you are consistent with your timings and reduce spending time on other less important things you'll be alright.
Reply 8
ahh okay I understand, like pomodoro right?
I just want to do well :frown:
Thank you so much!
Original post by Anthos
I'm doing 10 subjects, not 11, but I'm sure the same things apply. I'm doing GCSEs this year too, and I'm not stressed, but worried that I won't revise everything in time.

That aside, I'd recommend you to have 25-30 minute sessions, then take a 5-10 minute break. Repeat this for each hour you do, so eg 50 minutes studying and 10 minutes resting. Splitting it into sessions like this makes it easier for you to retain information.

But retaining it for the long-term? Use spaced repetition - repeat the information every so often, eg every two days, then every week, then every two weeks, until you get to the exams.
Reply 9
Wow! You're doing 11 subjects- I'm only doing 7 (Maths, English, science, geography, French, RS and MS).
Make a revision plan you can stick to and use flashcards, mindmaps etc. I also suggest you make a scheme of work or print of each specification ticking it off as you go along. I'm not in year 11 so I don't do most of this but I've watched lots of 'how to revise ...' videos.
Hope I help and good luck!:wink::biggrin:
Original post by rosa.a

so i'm a year 11 and I have no clue what I'm doing! I don't know for how long to revise, what to revise etc.!

A big issue is that once I get home I'm so tired so I don't have the motivation to revise :frown: on top of that, there's a lot of rubbish I have to deal w at the moment and I just don't know how I'm supposed to balance it with doing well in 11 subjects and make it out the other side.

I basically just have no clue what I'm doing but feel like it's already too late :frown: pls help I am stressed sigh

hey, sorry to hear you're finding it tough atm, I know what you mean about having no motivation after school, I feel that now. I'd recommend making a revision time table (I found a p useful vid on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzcV4aOB8bE ).
Good luck
Reply 11
hey! I've actually made a timetable (also eve bennett- good choice) but I'm just struggling to stick to it. I am learning, but I don't know if I'll be able to in time because it's not like I have ages :frown: thank you for all your help!
Original post by XKangaotiCX
hey, sorry to hear you're finding it tough atm, I know what you mean about having no motivation after school, I feel that now. I'd recommend making a revision time table (I found a p useful vid on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzcV4aOB8bE ).
Good luck
Original post by rosa.a
hey! I've actually made a timetable (also eve bennett- good choice) but I'm just struggling to stick to it. I am learning, but I don't know if I'll be able to in time because it's not like I have ages :frown: thank you for all your help!

Make a GYG to motivate you!:wink:
very true, still, I find watching study videos motivating, and trying to picture what I want to do in the future as a motivating factor. Everyone says it, and it's completely true, some revision is better than none. All the best, hope it works out for ya
Original post by rosa.a
I reccomend watching youtube videos especially for science, it's low effort and even if you're tired at least some of it will go in! I watched all the videos on Free Science Lessons youtube channel and they helped me so much. Also recommend primrose kitten for maths and science and mr bruff for English.
Reply 15
but the issue is that, although I want to improve my grades by a considerable margin, I'm easily getting into the sixth form I want to go to with my current grades and GCSEs have such little bearing on my future future that visualisation doesn't work, you know? I suppose every little helps (i'm not sponsored by tesco i promise)
Thanks, I hope everything is great for you too
(Original post by XKangaotiCX)
very true, still, I find watching study videos motivating, and trying to picture what I want to do in the future as a motivating factor. Everyone says it, and it's completely true, some revision is better than none. All the best, hope it works out for ya
Hi, well I first want to say RELAX!! I know it seems hard but honestly it is not as bad as it seems. I am in year 12 and did all the new spec GCSE's. You only have 2 months so ideally you are revising HOWEVER, Its still very much possible to maximise time for studying and having enough time to revise. First of all, go through all your specs they literally tell you everything you need to know, read over them all and highlight and rank what you know best, what you don't know and need to revise and what you can develop. Start with your weakest points, you HAVE to drill them in as best a you can. Find videos, practice questions, make flashcards, use revision guides. You need to know what your revision style is and stick to it. So for some videos work best and some like using textbook or both and making notes. Some great resources are the website SENECA, your exam board as they have practice new spec papers, freesciencelessons on youtube, ask your teachers for as many questions as possible, physicsandmathstutor has a whole bank of science and maths questions, CGP revision guides are really good as they condense everything. You need to try and do as much exam practice because if you think about it at the end of all this time you are prepping to answer questions. Make sure to work in manageable chunks of time so that you do not get overwhelmed and try to set a minimum amount of work a day and then at the end of the week, test yourself with flashcard either physical ones or quizlet ones to make sure you are retaining info. And the, when it comes to Easter holiday its a great period to really crack down and make sure you know what you need to know. It is not about how long you revise, its about covering content, so work out how you can cover all the content now so that you do not end up cramming like a lot of people do. Last thing is when it actually comes down to exam season SLEEP! You need it, do not deprive yourself of it, if you study hard now, you will not have to stay up until 3am trying to cram content on the day.

Hope that helps.
Original post by rosa.a

b
Original post by dysf(x)al4
have you tried gcse pod? it can be good for small 'nuggets' of revision, like on the bus to school or whatever

but its really boring for sm subjects :frown:
Original post by Lala143
Wow! You're doing 11 subjects- I'm only doing 7 (Maths, English, science, geography, French, RS and MS).
Make a revision plan you can stick to and use flashcards, mindmaps etc. I also suggest you make a scheme of work or print of each specification ticking it off as you go along. I'm not in year 11 so I don't do most of this but I've watched lots of 'how to revise ...' videos.
Hope I help and good luck!:wink::biggrin:

science counts as 3: bio, chem and physics
ANYONE HAS RS NOTES FOR EDEXCEL GCSE COVERING ALL UNITS FOR PAPER 1 AND 2

paper 1 units:
1) Christian beliefs
2) living the christian life
3) marriage and life
4) peace and conflict

paper 2 units
1) muslim beliefs
2) living the muslim life
3) marriage and life
4) peace and conflict

anyone who can help will honestly be fully appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest