The Student Room Group

Transfer to UCL and (maybe) even change course

As someone may know already, I am currently studying a fy in science (progressing to physics next year) at the University of Manchester. During this half year here, I have realised two things:

First of all, I don't really like Manchester as a city that much and I would much prefer to live in London instead.

Secondly, I might actually prefer to study a NatSci degree course at uni instead of a single honour course in physics.

Anyway, I am currently waiting to receive a decision back from UCL for theoretical physics and I was wondering whether or not the following two ideas might get me somewhere in the future:

-> Should I receive a rejection, I was wondering whether or not I could still stand a (real) chance of getting into either 'standard' physics or the NatSci course. (knowing that UCL is in Extra at the moment for both courses)

-> Should I receive an offer, will I be able to ask to be reconsidered for admission to the NatSci course without the risk of losing my previous offer? Would I be likely to be allowed to change course? (especially considering it's March already)

In addition to that, could it be possible for me to reject an offer/s and enter Extra 'just for UCL' (should they reject me already for TP) and then 'go back' to my other options if and when things won't go well?

Master @Doones, any suggestion on the whole matter?
Hi

First, it's worth bearing in mind that unis have to actively withdraw courses from Extra- just because they are still there doesn't necessarily mean they will still have spaces.

If you receive a rejection, then I would say it's unlikely they'd consider you for a similar, closely related course, but it is always worth checking with the uni admissions team.

If you receive an offer, then it's fine to ask about changing courses. They can't withdraw your offer just for you asking. Obviously, they may not be able to accommodate this, and/or may not consider you suitable for the other course. You can ask at any time with very little risk to switch courses at the same university- but they don't have to say yes.

I hope this helps a bit!
Reply 2
Original post by 1Person
As someone may know already, I am currently studying a fy in science (progressing to physics next year) at the University of Manchester. During this half year here, I have realised two things:

First of all, I don't really like Manchester as a city that much and I would much prefer to live in London instead.

Secondly, I might actually prefer to study a NatSci degree course at uni instead of a single honour course in physics.

Anyway, I am currently waiting to receive a decision back from UCL for theoretical physics and I was wondering whether or not the following two ideas might get me somewhere in the future:

-> Should I receive a rejection, I was wondering whether or not I could still stand a (real) chance of getting into either 'standard' physics or the NatSci course. (knowing that UCL is in Extra at the moment for both courses)

-> Should I receive an offer, will I be able to ask to be reconsidered for admission to the NatSci course without the risk of losing my previous offer? Would I be likely to be allowed to change course? (especially considering it's March already)

In addition to that, could it be possible for me to reject an offer/s and enter Extra 'just for UCL' (should they reject me already for TP) and then 'go back' to my other options if and when things won't go well?

Master @Doones, any suggestion on the whole matter?

* If you are rejected I doubt UCL will reconsider an application for the same course via Extra (or Clearing). They might do so for a different course IF it is actually still accepting applications.

* You can certainly ask UCL the question - it won't affect your offer, if you get one.

* To go into Extra you have to reject any other offers (or be rejected yourself). No you can't go "back" to them.
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi

First, it's worth bearing in mind that unis have to actively withdraw courses from Extra- just because they are still there doesn't necessarily mean they will still have spaces.

If you receive a rejection, then I would say it's unlikely they'd consider you for a similar, closely related course, but it is always worth checking with the uni admissions team.

If you receive an offer, then it's fine to ask about changing courses. They can't withdraw your offer just for you asking. Obviously, they may not be able to accommodate this, and/or may not consider you suitable for the other course. You can ask at any time with very little risk to switch courses at the same university- but they don't have to say yes.

I hope this helps a bit!

Thanks, it surely helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Doones
* If you are rejected I doubt UCL will reconsider an application for the same course via Extra (or Clearing). They might do so for a different course IF it is actually still accepting applications.

* You can certainly ask UCL the question - it won't affect your offer, if you get one.

* To go into Extra you have to reject any other offers (or be rejected yourself). No you can't go "back" to them.

By saying ‘go back’ I meant ask one of the uni that previously sent me an offer to take me in again. For example, I have an unconditional offer (based on my previous results) from Birmingham, do you think they will send me the same offer again if I reject them and apply to them again later? Or will they get offended if I do so?
Reply 5
Original post by 1Person
By saying ‘go back’ I meant ask one of the uni that previously sent me an offer to take me in again. For example, I have an unconditional offer (based on my previous results) from Birmingham, do you think they will send me the same offer again if I reject them and apply to them again later? Or will they get offended if I do so?

They won't be "offended" but you can't expect them to make another offer after you've already wasted their time. This isn't how the UCAS process works.
Reply 6
Original post by Doones
They won't be "offended" but you can't expect them to make another offer after you've already wasted their time. This isn't how the UCAS process works.

I know but I want to try anything possible before accepting an offer for a place which I wouldn’t want to attend as much as another one. Does it make sense to you?
Original post by 1Person

Makes sense
Reply 8
Original post by harrysbar
Makes sense

I was trying to say that I don’t like the city of Manchester and I prefer London. Sorry for my bad English.
Original post by 1Person
I was trying to say that I don’t like the city of Manchester and I prefer London. Sorry for my bad English.

I was agreeing with you :smile: I much prefer London to Manchester too
Reply 10
Original post by harrysbar
I was agreeing with you :smile: I much prefer London to Manchester too

Oh, okay. I have misunderstood then 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending