The Student Room Group

A degree called 'Black Studies' exists...

(Birmingham City University)

What would one do with this degree?

And why would one want to study a single race for 3 years?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
huh? i don't know what you're talking about, sorry, lol
Well most other humanities and social science degrees are basically just about studying white people for 3 years, so...
Really feel like this isnt an appropriate response tbh like I get the joke but
Reply 4
Original post by literaryromantic
Well most other humanities and social science degrees are basically just about studying white people for 3 years, so...

Um...no. No, they're not.
Cool with it, you do you, strange choice but better than Gender Studies tbh, but peculiar name though - Black Studies
(edited 5 years ago)
lol(weird name), if that's something you'd really enjoy doing, then you do you boo! I guess there may be some transferrable skils from this.
(edited 5 years ago)
What do you study?
Original post by bloomer36
Um...no. No, they're not.
Reply 8
What do you study?

In terms of formal education - nothing, currently. Why do you ask?
There are lots of specific history degrees about Euporean history. A degree exploring the cultural and historical of the Afro-Carribean society (or any black society for that matter) seems quite ordinary
If you've done certain university humanities degrees you'd know they are predominately white eurocentric. I guess the Black Studies course is an attempt to challenge that, along the same lines as more established Gender Studies courses and black/POC social science focused modules which are definitely becoming more prevalent, but just widening it out to a whole degree. I really dont think it's that unusual.
Reply 11
Original post by pinkfluffystuff
There are lots of specific history degrees about Euporean history. A degree exploring the cultural and historical of the Afro-Carribean society (or any black society for that matter) seems quite ordinary

But that's specifically 'history' studies, isn't it? And, we are in Europe, aren't we?
(Birmingham City University)

What would one do with this degree?

And why would one want to study a single race for 3 years?

Study it, learn the content and then decide whether to use it as part of a career or just get a non related job, juts like lots of other students.
Plenty of degrees that study certain countries or groups.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Cool with it, you do you, strange choice but better than Gender Studies tbh, but peculiar name though - Black Studies

Why is it peculiar if the subject matter is black people?
Reply 14
If you've done certain university humanities degrees you'd know they are predominately white eurocentric. I guess the Black Studies course is an attempt to challenge that, along the same lines as more established Gender Studies courses and black/POC social science focused modules which are definitely becoming more prevalent, but just widening it out to a whole degree. I really dont think it's that unusual.

Well, Britain is traditionally a 'white' country, isn't it? I mean, if we're going to have a 'Black Studies' degree then I think we should have degrees specifically for other races, too.
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
Study it, learn the content and then decide whether to use it as part of a career or just get a non related job, juts like lots of other students.
Plenty of degrees that study certain countries or groups.

Huh? I wasn't looking to study it. At all.

And aren't those degrees specifically language/history degrees?
Knew we'd end up here eventually

Well, Britain is traditionally a 'white' country, isn't it? I mean, if we're going to have a 'Black Studies' degree then I think we should have degrees specifically for other races, too.
Huh? I wasn't looking to study it. At all.

And aren't those degrees specifically language/history degrees?

You asked what you would do with such a degree and I told you.

And no they arent.

Is there a point to this thread? You seem to have an issue with this degree. Take it dont take it.
Why does it upset you so much? Why do you care?
Original post by 999tigger
Why is it peculiar if the subject matter is black people?

lol not what i meant - might just be me being stupid, but sounds like the study of a colour, instead of something like Black History/Culture etc....
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
lol not what i meant - might just be me being stupid, but sounds like the study of a colour, instead of something like Black History/Culture etc....

yh, same :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending