The Student Room Group

PhD Applicants 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donutaud15
They didn't say much beyond asking for my Skype address.

Typical really I got the email just as I was closing up so couldn't reply immediately 😆

If they didn't say much, and you've only got a few days to prepare, a Q&A might be all it is.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If they didn't say much, and you've only got a few days to prepare, a Q&A might be all it is.

I have a feeling that may be the case since there's not much time to prepare. Really I don't expect any communication from them until Monday if at all.

By Q&A do you mean similar to a standard situational interview questions?
I have a feeling that may be the case since there's not much time to prepare. Really I don't expect any communication from them until Monday if at all.

By Q&A do you mean similar to a standard situational interview questions?

It could be a mix of questions relating to the project (if you didn't propose your own, they probably won't be extremely specific), more general questions about the university/PhD/your skills/experience/qualities, and then some time for you to ask them questions. So it'll be a two-way Q&A essentially.
Just finished the interview. It was panel and Q&A. No technical questions. I was told I'll know by tomorrow.
Just finished the interview. It was panel and Q&A. No technical questions. I was told I'll know by tomorrow.

Well done! How do you think it went? It's nice that they're letting you know quickly, as we know from this thread some places take forever!
Well done! How do you think it went? It's nice that they're letting you know quickly, as we know from this thread some places take forever!

Thank you! I think it went ok. Though I did stumble with one particular question. I did send a quick thank you email expressing enthusiasm for the project (if my answers don't already reflect that!) because even if I don't get the funding I'm hopeful to still work with potential supervisor. I'm glad that there's not a long wait, though because this is just for funding it might be a long one when it comes to the actual uni application (I was told apply for funding first then uni place-not sure if that's common practice or not)
Thank you! I think it went ok. Though I did stumble with one particular question. I did send a quick thank you email expressing enthusiasm for the project (if my answers don't already reflect that!) because even if I don't get the funding I'm hopeful to still work with potential supervisor. I'm glad that there's not a long wait, though because this is just for funding it might be a long one when it comes to the actual uni application (I was told apply for funding first then uni place-not sure if that's common practice or not)

That was a good idea. I applied for funding and a place at the same time (it's quite unique to the DTP I'm applying to to do it like that), but I think most places ask that you already hold an offer of a place before you even apply for funding. I feel like that way is kind of sad really as it makes it all the more disappointing if you don't get funding.
Reply 87
Just secured a NERC DTP PhD studentship with the IAPETUS DTP between Newcastle and Durham (et al). How is everything coming along with their PhDs? If anyone needs any advise I can help (even though the first round of PhD applications are at an end).

I found that when you are in interviews I had some handouts available when they asked technical questions, or questions about the project. Good to visualise what you are talking about. Mine was glacial, so pictures looking at the location and maybe even a bit of data from other publications to help emphasise you have done your reading. If they don't ask technical questions, they can still see you've done reading etc.

Also a good question I found they all enjoyed answering (and hopefully make them remember you) is 'thinking back to your PhD days, what would be the number 1 piece of advice you would give a prospecting PhD student who will start their PhD this coming year' or something to that effect.

Good luck to everyone!
Been told I should find out today but no email and it's past 5. I guess I didn't get it.
Been told I should find out today but no email and it's past 5. I guess I didn't get it.

Surely given that you did an interview, they would tell you one way or the other, and not leave it open-ended? Maybe if you haven't heard by noon tomorrow, call/email to follow it up.
Surely given that you did an interview, they would tell you one way or the other, and not leave it open-ended? Maybe if you haven't heard by noon tomorrow, call/email to follow it up.

I caved and rang at like 3:30. Administrator said it's the potential supervisor who will write directly but she will remind her to do it.
I caved and rang at like 3:30. Administrator said it's the potential supervisor who will write directly but she will remind her to do it.

Hopefully it's just that your potential supervisor has had a super busy day today then, and didn't have time to email anyone. :crossedf:
Hopefully it's just that your potential supervisor has had a super busy day today then, and didn't have time to email anyone. :crossedf:

Heard finally and unfortunately I didn't get it
Heard finally and unfortunately I didn't get it

That's too bad. :frown: At least you have the experience now, so if you apply again next year it won't seem so daunting. Are you currently doing your master's?
That's too bad. :frown: At least you have the experience now, so if you apply again next year it won't seem so daunting. Are you currently doing your master's?

Done with Masters two years ago, been working in a museum since then. I probably will still apply this year (and hopefully get in) but with student loans. But I'm giving myself a break until about May as been applying for jobs and uni since December. I'm knackered lol
Done with Masters two years ago, been working in a museum since then. I probably will still apply this year (and hopefully get in) but with student loans. But I'm giving myself a break until about May as been applying for jobs and uni since December. I'm knackered lol

Were you just applying for funding first? Applying for a PhD is such an exhausting process, I think the waiting is the worst, so at least you didn't have much of that.

I can't afford to self-fund, so I always admire those who do!
Were you just applying for funding first? Applying for a PhD is such an exhausting process, I think the waiting is the worst, so at least you didn't have much of that.

I can't afford to self-fund, so I always admire those who do!

Yeah they said funding first before actual place. To be honest hours after receiving the rejection email I found out that potentially my personal circumstances have changed and if I got it I would have had to turn it down (which is worse that rejection imho)

Self funding is difficult but sometimes just have no choice :frown:
Reply 97
Yeah they said funding first before actual place. To be honest hours after receiving the rejection email I found out that potentially my personal circumstances have changed and if I got it I would have had to turn it down (which is worse that rejection imho)

Self funding is difficult but sometimes just have no choice :frown:

Yeah do like it if you have an idea or even funding already in place when applying for a PhD.

What kind of PhD are you applying for? Could you go through a research council funded PhD? Could you apply for school PhD scholarships? You still have time to apply for PhDs. They are always opening up.

Only go through the self-funded PhD IF (and only IF) you really really want a PhD or need a PhD. I mean self funding is very expensive, you need to pay for the tuition fees, research money and your own living costs. :s-smilie: I could not do that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Lee17
Yeah do like it if you have an idea or even funding already in place when applying for a PhD.

What kind of PhD are you applying for? Could you go through a research council funded PhD? Could you apply for school PhD scholarships? You still have time to apply for PhDs. They are always opening up.

Applying for museum studies PhD, looking into digitizing collections. The project I was applying is funded by esrc. Not seen a lot of funding for museum studies in the universities I'm looking into but keeping an eye out regardless. Problem is my MA grade isn't very good. I had a shot in the one I applied into because it has an integrated masters so wasn't necessary looking into my MA grade if that makes sense.
Applying for museum studies PhD, looking into digitizing collections. The project I was applying is funded by esrc. Not seen a lot of funding for museum studies in the universities I'm looking into but keeping an eye out regardless. Problem is my MA grade isn't very good. I had a shot in the one I applied into because it has an integrated masters so wasn't necessary looking into my MA grade if that makes sense.

Maybe you could propose your own project and apply for a 1+3 award (aka. master's then PhD) from funding bodies. That might help compensate a bit for any prior poor performance. What did you get in your original MA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending