The Student Room Group

Essex, Sheffield, York, Lancaster for Politics and International Relations

The title describes it pretty much. UCAS extra (long story) so I only get one choice, don’t want to talk about that though. Don’t really have the time to view them all since idk how long they’ll have spaces for and I’m too poor to go around the country anyway. Essex is a bad location since I live there now and I hate this wretched place, but if the university is better than the rest I am willing to do it for my future prospects, though not otherwise. Looked through the courses and they all look really good, my main concern is the reputation/career prospects/course quality more so than anything else, though other things like student life (and internet quality, though I imagine that’s good at any uni in the 21st century) are important too, just to a lesser extent.

Essex and Lancaster have lower entry requirements, but that’s not much of a concern since I think I can get the grades for all of them. Still is a slight factor I guess, depending on what my mock results are.

What one is the best uni for the course? To employers, from student PoV, whatever I want to hear it all.

Much thanks, pls don’t bully for the screwups that led to me having to go through extra or because they aren’t Oxbridge.

ALSO ABERYSTWYTH
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Iwanttodiepls
The title describes it pretty much. UCAS extra (long story) so I only get one choice, don’t want to talk about that though. Don’t really have the time to view them all since idk how long they’ll have spaces for and I’m too poor to go around the country anyway. Essex is a bad location since I live there now and I hate this wretched place, but if the university is better than the rest I am willing to do it for my future prospects, though not otherwise. Looked through the courses and they all look really good, my main concern is the reputation/career prospects/course quality more so than anything else, though other things like student life (and internet quality, though I imagine that’s good at any uni in the 21st century) are important too, just to a lesser extent.

Essex and Lancaster have lower entry requirements, but that’s not much of a concern since I think I can get the grades for all of them. Still is a slight factor I guess, depending on what my mock results are.

What one is the best uni for the course? To employers, from student PoV, whatever I want to hear it all.

Much thanks, pls don’t bully for the screwups that led to me having to go through extra or because they aren’t Oxbridge.

look unless we are talking about Oxbridge vs London Met or something less extreme, employers wouldn't care about the differences between these unis.

look at whose course would suit you best. personally i'd say york, sheff and lanc have a better rep than essex, with sheff also having a good nightlife.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
look unless we are talking about Oxbridge vs London Met or something less extreme, only employers with Asperger's would care about the differences between these unis. and not many employers have Asperger's.

look at whose course would suit you best. personally i'd say york, sheff and lanc have a better rep than essex, with sheff also having a good nightlife.

Yeah, I thought Essex was a bit less well considered, I was surprised when I saw it ranked so high on the QS rankings for IR and on completeuniversityguide, it has the best research quality for politics out of every uni. I have heard Sheffield has good student life.

I've looked through all the courses and they all seem really good, each one has bits that make it look good. I will go through them a bit more in detail again.

Also, Aberswyth is something I am loosely considering although I didn't think it was considered as good as Lancaster/York/Sheffield for politics and IR. Do you know what one is best for networking since my dream would be to go into politics (as like an MP) one day, and of course doing that is all about knowing the right people?

Thanks very much for the reply, I appreciate it.
look unless we are talking about Oxbridge vs London Met or something less extreme, only employers with Asperger's would care about the differences between these unis. and not many employers have Asperger's.

I think you'd find that the vast majority of employers with Aspergers would care about the uni attended even less than other employers. The vast majority of us with Aspergers have had enough negative experiences with the education system and wider life to realise that there is a lot more than academic ability that determines where (and even whether) people go to uni and that many people in lower ranked unis are going to be better employees than a significant number at more prestigious institutions.
In fact yeah add Aberswyth onto the list as well since they apparently have a better reputation than I thought they did, ALTHOUGH their course is only in IR which isn't as good.
I can only really comment on Sheffield and then only from what I've heard from others as I study a different subject. Politics students at Sheffield have very few contact hours (although I believe this is usual for this type of degree) but are on the most part happy with the course. I can't see there being a massive difference in the course or employment prospects between those unis and with the limited time actually spent in lectures I would think that it is important to choose a uni at which you like the other facilities and area.
Original post by AlexS101
I can only really comment on Sheffield and then only from what I've heard from others as I study a different subject. Politics students at Sheffield have very few contact hours (although I believe this is usual for this type of degree) but are on the most part happy with the course. I can't see there being a massive difference in the course or employment prospects between those unis and with the limited time actually spent in lectures I would think that it is important to choose a uni at which you like the other facilities and area.

Thank you for replying. What do you do for most of your work then, reading/writing? How much contact time do you have (say, per weak).

Much appreciated!
Bump to get some more PoVs
Pls I need to know if Aberswyth is as good as the universities mentioned above or if it's seen as worse.
Pls I need to know if Aberswyth is as good as the universities mentioned above or if it's seen as worse.

Aber has a very good rep for IR.... i believe it was in fact the first IR course in Britain. however the uni overall doesnt have an amazing rep. beautiful, quiet location though.
Aber has a very good rep for IR.... i believe it was in fact the first IR course in Britain. however the uni overall doesnt have an amazing rep. beautiful, quiet location though.

How does it compare to York/Sheffield for politics and IR? That is, compared to its Politics & International Politics one. I know it has a really good rep for IR but I want to do it with politics and I don't know if its rep for that is as good as its one for IR.

Thanks for reply.
How does it compare to York/Sheffield for politics and IR? That is, compared to its Politics & International Politics one. I know it has a really good rep for IR but I want to do it with politics and I don't know if its rep for that is as good as its one for IR.

Thanks for reply.

a) dont know b) nitpicking is not a good strategy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending