The Student Room Group

any mature students stayed in student halls?

I'm a mature student (27) who will hopefully be studying adult nursing in September. Whichever uni I go to I'm going to have to move there as I currently live in the middle of nowhere and don't drive. I was just wondering if any mature students stayed in halls and what it was like. We're you put with a bunch of 18 year old. I'm worried about this happening as I don't think you can indicate a preference on who you're housed with at my first choice uni.
I've never stayed in Halls but I have lived in student accommodation (self catering) as a mature student. I didn't indicate any preferences in my application but my university housed me with other mature students. I've no firm basis for this but I have a suspicion that there may be a higher percentage of mature students staying in self catered accommodation than in catered halls so if that's an option for you then it may be worth considering.

Have you looked for contact details for the accommodation department at your preferred uni? There may be a way to contact them and discuss your concerns directly.
Reply 2
I have been looking at self catered university accommodation and plan to speak to the accommodation team on my applicant visit day at the end of the month about it too. I had hoped to get a studio/flat/bedsit but everything is so expensive around my 1st choice plus my family says it will do me good to have to live with other people and make friends as I currently have non.
Reply 3
Some Uni's will allow you to stay with post-grads as mature student. Have a chat with them.
Original post by Miss_Colly
I'm a mature student (27) who will hopefully be studying adult nursing in September. Whichever uni I go to I'm going to have to move there as I currently live in the middle of nowhere and don't drive. I was just wondering if any mature students stayed in halls and what it was like. We're you put with a bunch of 18 year old. I'm worried about this happening as I don't think you can indicate a preference on who you're housed with at my first choice uni.

I'm a bit younger (22), however fortunately I was put into halls with other people around my age (I'm guessing the university actively worked to make this happen). That being said it could be worth contacting the university directly and asking if you can be put with older students, I'm sure they'll be able to sort it.

PS: If you get the option to request being in a designated quiet flat then it's definitely worth doing, as generally it's usually us oldies who go for such things :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending