The Student Room Group

Can you catch diabetes?

my boyfriend has type 1 diabetes, and since we got together, about 1 week ago, we've been kissing a lot lol and now i feel like i am experiencing symptoms of T1D (such as thirst, needing to urinate relatviely frequently and now blurry vision - but the vision is only blurry in my left eye and my left eye is worse than my right eye anyway)
I know it's an autoimmune disorder, but i still feel like i've caught it lol.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, you can catch diabetic quite easily, they cannot run very fast :biggrin: but you cannot catch diabetes.
Do you eat lots of junk food and sugary things in general?
So you know you can't but you think you have it anyhow.

Spoiler

Reply 3
Original post by DAMIXEE
Well, you can catch diabetic quite easily, they cannot run very fast :biggrin: but you cannot catch diabetes.
Do you eat lots of junk food and sugary things in general?

No I don’t I’m quite healthy tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by TheNamesBond.
So you know you can't but you think you have it anyhow.

Spoiler

Lol I know I sound dumb but it’s paranoia :/.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

Sorry but paranoia is different, this is just stupidity. You are either born with type 1 or can develop type 2 if you cause your blood glucose levels to rise and fall frequently. Becoming obese is generally going to lead to it.

It is not communicable to others.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
my boyfriend has type 1 diabetes, and since we got together, about 1 week ago, we've been kissing a lot lol and now i feel like i am experiencing symptoms of T1D (such as thirst, needing to urinate relatviely frequently and now blurry vision - but the vision is only blurry in my left eye and my left eye is worse than my right eye anyway)

No you can't catch it. What can happen though is you start to notice more and more "symptoms" in yourself since you are exposed to them so much with your boyfriend. So even if you don't feel any different in reality you could start to notice any time you are thirsty more and focus on it too much etc.
It is of course also possible to develop one type of diabetes or various other conditions with similar symptoms. So although you can't have caught diabetes from your bf it would still be possible for you to be ill in some way. If you are feeling unwell go see your GP so they can check that out.
I’m type 1 diabetic and no you can’t catch it wtf. I would be angry if my partner said something like that, quite offensive
Oh dear, you better dump him...it runs through his saliva...you still have time to reverse the effects though but you’d have to take action immediately!
Diabetes is not a communicable disease!

Spoiler

ofcourse you can catch it! you can also catch cancer and heart disease from other people so you better be careful

You can catch diabetes just like you can catch stupidity.
Original post by Bio 7
Sorry but paranoia is different, this is just stupidity. You are either born with type 1 or can develop type 2 if you cause your blood glucose levels to rise and fall frequently. Becoming obese is generally going to lead to it.

It is not communicable to others.

People aren't born with type 1diabetes. Just saying.

You don't just sound dumb if you genuinely think you caught diabetes...
Reply 13
You don't just sound dumb if you genuinely think you caught diabetes...

Not quite but it happens early on in life, I just wasn’t focusing on it and it was simpler in this thread to say it to reinforce that you can’t catch it. But fair enough, accuracy is important.
WHAT!? Welp my whole life is a lie. If you'll excuse me I need to go buy a big bubble.
That's just a bunch of fancy words I don't understand. XD But tbh I think I'd prefer not to know anyway.
Sounds like you have caught the diabetes. Bad luck.
Reply 17
i dunno bc im dumb...
Sometimes it’s a bugger having a doctor on board!!
Fair enough, there are infections that affect the heart, but I don't quite agree with your statement that cancer is infectious. Yes, certain infections are associated with cancers, but it would misleading to suggest that you can "catch" cancer (which is what I suspect a lot of people on here will think you mean).

Quick Reply

Latest