The Student Room Group

reading exam question

hi guys what is the best way of approaching an exam question without stressing because i have a problem with that
Original post by 2838676907
hi guys what is the best way of approaching an exam question without stressing because i have a problem with that

Me too.
I'd say to just breathe and have a clear mindset and think what is the question asking u.
Reply 2
I agree with the person above; you should try to clear your mind of the stress and try to think clearly. If you're stressing, you're probably more likely to have "mind blocks" - not remembering anything.
Reply 3
true thanks anyway you are the best
Original post by Anthos
I agree with the person above; you should try to clear your mind of the stress and try to think clearly. If you're stressing, you're probably more likely to have "mind blocks" - not remembering anything.
As someone who suffered from this, I would say breathe, then take a highlighter or a pen/pencil and circle/highlight the key words. For example, if the essay question in your English paper says "How does the author explore the theme of gender in this extract and the rest of the novel?", highlight "gender", and for good measure underline "in the rest of the novel", so you don't forget.

From there, I'd suggest making a mind map (if that sort of thing works for you), and think up 4/5 main points, and then some examples and quotes. If you're struggling to find points, write paragraphs for the ones you already have, because then you at least have something for the examiner to see, and most importantly writing about it gets your mind thinking and it will be easier to find more things to say.

For other subjects, such as humanities, check the direction at the beginning of the question. This is generally something like "explain", "describe", "discuss" or "evaluate". The difference between these directions is really important, because an essay evaluating the success of the response to a flood is very different from an essay describing the success of it.

So essentially, my advice is read the question carefully. Best of luck, and I really hope this helps you!
Original post by 2838676907
Reply 5
thank you so much
Original post by FionaMacrae
As someone who suffered from this, I would say breathe, then take a highlighter or a pen/pencil and circle/highlight the key words. For example, if the essay question in your English paper says "How does the author explore the theme of gender in this extract and the rest of the novel?", highlight "gender", and for good measure underline "in the rest of the novel", so you don't forget.

From there, I'd suggest making a mind map (if that sort of thing works for you), and think up 4/5 main points, and then some examples and quotes. If you're struggling to find points, write paragraphs for the ones you already have, because then you at least have something for the examiner to see, and most importantly writing about it gets your mind thinking and it will be easier to find more things to say.

For other subjects, such as humanities, check the direction at the beginning of the question. This is generally something like "explain", "describe", "discuss" or "evaluate". The difference between these directions is really important, because an essay evaluating the success of the response to a flood is very different from an essay describing the success of it.

So essentially, my advice is read the question carefully. Best of luck, and I really hope this helps you!

Quick Reply

Latest