The Student Room Group

Passport question

How long does it take to get your passport once it's in the processing que? Apparently it takes 6 weeks for the whole passport but is that from applying to delivery or it entering the que to delivery?

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the time of year.

Sometimes the turnaround is 2 weeks. Sometimes it's much longer. I think this time of year it's usually longer.
I recently got one and it took about 4-5 weeks since I applied for one but I'd say it depends the time of the year you're getting it at 🤷
New passport or renewal? I renewed my adult passport, my gf renewed a child passport and both took a couple days to process:

Status Date
Passport printed and sent 11:57am on 12 March 2019
Application approved 8:38pm on 11 March 2019
Joined processing queue 8:30am on 8 March 2019
Documents received 2:59pm on 7 March 2019
Application received 4:31pm on 5 March 2019
Application submitted 4:30pm on 5 March 2019
Original post by sinfonietta
It depends on the time of year.

Sometimes the turnaround is 2 weeks. Sometimes it's much longer. I think this time of year it's usually longer.

Original post by Samantha04:)
I recently got one and it took about 4-5 weeks since I applied for one but I'd say it depends the time of the year you're getting it at 🤷

Original post by swelshie
New passport or renewal? I renewed my adult passport, my gf renewed a child passport and both took a couple days to process:

Status Date
Passport printed and sent 11:57am on 12 March 2019
Application approved 8:38pm on 11 March 2019
Joined processing queue 8:30am on 8 March 2019
Documents received 2:59pm on 7 March 2019
Application received 4:31pm on 5 March 2019
Application submitted 4:30pm on 5 March 2019

Thanks everyone for these responses, it's my first adult passport (have never had one before) so i expect it to take a while but was just curious
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
Thanks everyone for these responses, it's my first adult passport (have never had one before) so i expect it to take a while but was just curious

Have you had your passport interview?
Original post by IWMTom

Not yet, i think i will need one cos its my first adult one. It went in the queue on monday so i was just wondering how long it would take for them to get back to me about an interview etc
Reply 7
Not yet, i think i will need one cos its my first adult one. It went in the queue on monday so i was just wondering how long it would take for them to get back to me about an interview etc

I wouldn't have thought it would be all that busy this time of year given how the Great British public often leave things till the last minute.
Original post by IWMTom

What's a passport interview?
Reply 9
Original post by Decahedron

The Passport Office typically conduct interviews for people who apply for an adult passport but have never had a passport before (child or adult).
How long does it take to get your passport once it's in the processing que? Apparently it takes 6 weeks for the whole passport but is that from applying to delivery or it entering the que to delivery?

Depends as sinfon says.
Time of year, but also which office.
You can get it expedited.

If you say its cool cavy and drop them some guinea pig pics that might make them go faster. The helpline is very useful. N Ireland bit are great.

Busy at the moment because of holidays and Brexit.
Reply 11
Original post by Decahedron

If you have never had one before or haven't renewed it for ages they can call you in for an interview to see that a) you are who you say you are and that b) nothing dodgy is going on.
Original post by 999tigger
Depends as sinfon says.
Time of year, but also which office.
You can get it expedited.

If you say its cool cavy and drop them some guinea pig pics that might make them go faster. The helpline is very useful. N Ireland bit are great.

Busy at the moment because of holidays and Brexit.

:lol: this made me laugh :colondollar: :hugs:
Thanks for your help tigger

Original post by IWMTom
The Passport Office typically conduct interviews for people who apply for an adult passport but have never had a passport before (child or adult).

Thanks tom, am expecting one so if it doesnt happen it will be a nice surprise, i thought it would have to be in london but apparently there are offices all over
Original post by gjd800
If you have never had one before or haven't renewed it for ages they can call you in for an interview to see that a) you are who you say you are and that b) nothing dodgy is going on.

Original post by IWMTom

You learn something new everyday :h:
Reply 14
Bought 12th of March, 14th application approved, 15th on its way and should be delivered by monday.
(Original post by Decahedron)You learn something new everyday :h:
:lol: this made me laugh :colondollar: :hugs:
Thanks for your help tigger

Thanks tom, am expecting one so if it doesnt happen it will be a nice surprise, i thought it would have to be in london but apparently there are offices all over

About the interview.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2007/jun/20/uk.travelnews
https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-passport/after-you-apply
https://www.gov.uk/passport-interview-office
Original post by coco0
Bought 12th of March, 14th application approved, 15th on its way and should be delivered by monday.

Hope it arrives on monday :hugs:

Thanks for the links tigger, there is one not far from me about 20 mins away on the train so that's really good
this thread has been so helpful :smile:
Hope it arrives on monday :hugs:

Thanks for the links tigger, there is one not far from me about 20 mins away on the train so that's really good
this thread has been so helpful :smile:

I wasnt even aware of the change, so had to look it up. It does say after the interview they can issue so fingers crossed. Brexit has caused a rush because you need 6 months min left. I found the helpline very good.
Sorry me again ( i knew something would go wrong everything always does :/ ). I received this emailed with a letter attached
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-18 at 00.07.04.jpeg
Apparently i have had a passport before?? I have no recollection of this so it must have been when i was really really young cos i've never had an adult one before and ive never even seen one before.
I dont understand what difference that makes cos i applied for first adult passport so that's still the case even if i had one as a foetus. I went to their online thing and cancelled this lost passport (that im still not sure exists). I couldnt answer most of the questions so i just put dont know.
Do i need to do anythjing else now or can they carry on processing it as normal? :/

Original post by gjd800

Original post by IWMTom
Sorry me again ( i knew something would go wrong everything always does :/ ). I received this emailed with a letter attached
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-18 at 00.07.04.jpeg
Apparently i have had a passport before?? I have no recollection of this so it must have been when i was really really young cos i've never had an adult one before and ive never even seen one before.
I dont understand what difference that makes cos i applied for first adult passport so that's still the case even if i had one as a foetus. I went to their online thing and cancelled this lost passport (that im still not sure exists). I couldnt answer most of the questions so i just put dont know.
Do i need to do anythjing else now or can they carry on processing it as normal? :/

No panic, just ring the helpline.
They can trace the previous one if it exists. At least tell you if it was adult or child and the year of issue.
If so, just report it lost and they will cancel it.
You then apply for a replacement, which is mostly the same I think.
See if they can do it from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending