The Student Room Group

Rejected from first choice, what are my options?

Hi everyone, I got rejected from St Andrews due to my personal statement.

I applied for a joint degree in physics and CS, as with the rest of the unis I applied to and I'm just trying to weigh up my options and figure out what's best for me.

The main thing I'm wondering is if I re-apply to St Andrews next year with a stronger personal statement would they give me an offer or just reject me?

As well as this, if I decline an unconditional from a different uni that's given me an offer and then re-apply for the same course the next year would they give me an unconditional again? or just reject me since I declined the year before.

Lastly I'm wondering if St Andrews would give me an offer for second year entry if I re-apply with 3 As at advanced higher for Maths, Physics and CS.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.
Reply 1
It’s no a guarantee that they would give you an offer, but you’d stand a better chance. Yeah edit your personal statement coz atm that’s the only reason you got a rejection. St Andrews is super competitive for CS but with your A’s and strong personal statement you’d probs get an offer.
If you reject a uni and then reapply the following year you don’t automatically get rejected.
Original post by Avend

I applied for a joint degree in physics and CS, as with the rest of the unis I applied to and I'm just trying to weigh up my options and figure out what's best for me.

The main thing I'm wondering is if I re-apply to St Andrews next year with a stronger personal statement would they give me an offer or just reject me?

As well as this, if I decline an unconditional from a different uni that's given me an offer and then re-apply for the same course the next year would they give me an unconditional again? or just reject me since I declined the year before.

Lastly I'm wondering if St Andrews would give me an offer for second year entry if I re-apply with 3 As at advanced higher for Maths, Physics and CS.

There are no guarantees unfortunately. Unless St As have given you very specific advice on how to improve your PS, there's no guarantee they will perceive the one you write next year as stronger.

Equally, applying to uni is always a competitive process- if there are stronger applicants next year you may not get an offer from St Andrews or the other university.

How much do you like your other unis?
If you are rejected from your first choice your options are simple you try for the rest of them.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
There are no guarantees unfortunately. Unless St As have given you very specific advice on how to improve your PS, there's no guarantee they will perceive the one you write next year as stronger.

Equally, applying to uni is always a competitive process- if there are stronger applicants next year you may not get an offer from St Andrews or the other university.

How much do you like your other unis?

The other three universities I'm considering are Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh. With Glasgow and Strathclyde I would be able to live at home and commute every morning but with Edinburgh I'd have to move. I've been to Glasgow a few times now and I'm not the biggest fan, I've also been to Strathclyde and from what I've seen it's very good for CS. I really like Edinburgh but my main concern is the student satisfaction.
Hello! Scottish student here!

I am currently studying at Warwick and I got rejected by St Andrews too.

All I can say, is that down in England (esp. in the job market apparently) St Andrews is not as highly regarded as you think. Plus as you are studying Physics and CS, WHT WOULD YOU STUDY ANYWHERE THAT IS NOT IN THE RUSSEL GROUP?

What are your other options?

We both know the SQA can be really unpredictable for grades! I was predicted an A band 1 in Higher Psychology two years ago, however, I got a low B. I am sure there are plenty more stories like this in other Advanced Highers! (I did history, English and german).

The questions you need to ask yourself are:
Are you willing to waste a year of your life for a university which might just reject you again?
Is your other offer good enough for what you want?
Why not consider a Russel Group University (which is crucial for research and reputation)?

Please reply if you have any other questions!
Original post by Avend

Original post by Avend
The other three universities I'm considering are Glasgow, Strathclyde and Edinburgh. With Glasgow and Strathclyde I would be able to live at home and commute every morning but with Edinburgh I'd have to move. I've been to Glasgow a few times now and I'm not the biggest fan, I've also been to Strathclyde and from what I've seen it's very good for CS. I really like Edinburgh but my main concern is the student satisfaction.

I wouldn't worry too much about the student satisfaction- students are notoriously fickle and you may not want from the course what other people want.

Personally, I would go with somewhere you think you would be happy and not worry too much about what others think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending