The Student Room Group

Physically exhausted from placement

So I started working on placment from 9am - 5:30pm and I was very happy, but they started to ask me can you help out and do extra hours and I said yes but then it start to be expected of me and now due to me not standing up for my self i’m working from 8am - 9pm 5 days and 8am - 7pm on Sat. If I ask to leave on my proper finishing time or 5:30pm for a doctors appointment they will be horrible towards me and treat me badly. If I ask to leave at 7pm they question me why and if I say I want to go to the gym or what not, they say no you don’t need to go. This as well as my coursework for uni has me working on this for about 86 hours per week (76 work, 10 hours coursework), this as well as the 1 hour it takes me to get there everyday due to traffic and the 1 hour back due to the motorway closing due to roadworks leaves me with no time at all for myself.

How can I say enough is enough and i’m not working these hours anymore in a way I won’t get fired?
Reply 1
Surely if you are on placement there is someone managing/organising the placements? Talk to them perhaps. Or speak to management at your placement, if are being horrible to you regularly it becomes bullying.
Reply 2
Original post by Betonyb
Surely if you are on placement there is someone managing/organising the placements? Talk to them perhaps. Or speak to management at your placement, if are being horrible to you regularly it becomes bullying.

If I speak to my uni they will pull me from the placement and i’ll have to do it next year and i’m half way through, and the management are the ones who do this stuff. It’s a tough situation and I am not great with words if I do talk to management. I just need a rough guild on what to say
Original post by Anonymous
If I speak to my uni they will pull me from the placement and i’ll have to do it next year and i’m half way through, and the management are the ones who do this stuff. It’s a tough situation and I am not great with words if I do talk to management. I just need a rough guild on what to say

Why would they immediately pull you from the placement? Surely they would talk to your bosses at your placement so your hours get reduced back to what they should be.
Did you sign anything opting you out of the Working Time Directive?
Reply 5
No
Original post by Decahedron
Did you sign anything opting you out of the Working Time Directive?
Original post by Anonymous
No

Then legally they can't make you work more than 48 hours a week.

https://www.gov.uk/maximum-weekly-working-hours

You need to go in and tell them that, they are breaking the law. You should also let your university know about the situation as they may be able to provide support.

Quick Reply