The Student Room Group

I have chosen English lit/lang,Business,psychology

im in year 11 , and people keep saying business is a soft subject
do unis really take into account what a levels ur doing that much?Like how can there really be a soft a level.People keep saying economics is better and business is more easy.Plus im doing business for gcse, and i like it and u dont need to have studied it at gcse for a level
Im so stressed and confused as im not interested in economics as its money based, any advice would be so so so helpful.Thank you!!!!!!

** lit and lang is combined
Reply 1
What do you want to study at university and then what you want to do after you complete your degree?
Original post by laugh72
im in year 11 , and people keep saying business is a soft subject
do unis really take into account what a levels ur doing that much?Like how can there really be a soft a level.People keep saying economics is better and business is more easy.Plus im doing business for gcse, and i like it and u dont need to have studied it at gcse for a level
Im so stressed and confused as im not interested in economics as its money based, any advice would be so so so helpful.Thank you!!!!!!

** lit and lang is combined
I'm an A2 student, and I genuinely cannot stress this enough - unless you're applying for Oxbridge (and even then, really) - choose the subjects you're best at. If you want to go to Oxford or Cambridge, I'd choose two of your absolute best facilitating subjects (even if you're getting A*s in all of them, you still have a subject you prefer/are better at).
If you simply want to go to a good RG uni (think Manchester/Bristol), choose the subjects you're best at. An A in Business Studies looks significantly better than a C or a B in Economics, so don't worry about subjects being "soft" - as long as they're still academic in nature (which they all are), go for it.
I’m not sure what I want a degree and perhaps get into teaching
Thanks for responding
Original post by GTB321
What do you want to study at university and then what you want to do after you complete your degree?
I really appreciate this thanks a lot !
Original post by angelinahx
I'm an A2 student, and I genuinely cannot stress this enough - unless you're applying for Oxbridge (and even then, really) - choose the subjects you're best at. If you want to go to Oxford or Cambridge, I'd choose two of your absolute best facilitating subjects (even if you're getting A*s in all of them, you still have a subject you prefer/are better at).
If you simply want to go to a good RG uni (think Manchester/Bristol), choose the subjects you're best at. An A in Business Studies looks significantly better than a C or a B in Economics, so don't worry about subjects being "soft" - as long as they're still academic in nature (which they all are), go for it.
Reply 5
Hi, sorry for this late response.
I study both business and economics at A-Level and I can assure you economics is a lot harder than business. There are a lot more graphs involved and you have to remember a lot more than in business. In fact, when I started A-Levels, the lecturer said a C in economics is equivalent to an A in Business.
The A-Levels you go for tend to not really matter to most universities but higher places like Oxford and Cambridge it would as economics is classed as a 'classic subject' so they rate it highly compared to business which means they might ask you to get an A* in business compared to an A in economics. So unless you are aiming for a top top university, take business. But if you are aiming for unis like Oxford or Cambridge, you may be better off taking economics unless you feel like you can achieve a high grade in business.
Hope this helps.
Original post by laugh72
I’m not sure what I want a degree and perhaps get into teaching
Thanks for responding
Very much appreciated thank u so much. Do u think I should take business or will it put me down cus I mean it’s still an academic a level so it can’t be THAT easy
Original post by GTB321
Hi, sorry for this late response.
I study both business and economics at A-Level and I can assure you economics is a lot harder than business. There are a lot more graphs involved and you have to remember a lot more than in business. In fact, when I started A-Levels, the lecturer said a C in economics is equivalent to an A in Business.
The A-Levels you go for tend to not really matter to most universities but higher places like Oxford and Cambridge it would as economics is classed as a 'classic subject' so they rate it highly compared to business which means they might ask you to get an A* in business compared to an A in economics. So unless you are aiming for a top top university, take business. But if you are aiming for unis like Oxford or Cambridge, you may be better off taking economics unless you feel like you can achieve a high grade in business.
Hope this helps.
Reply 7
I would say take business over economics because there is little point taking an A-Level that you won't enjoy. But if you are aiming for those top unis, make sure you get the highest grade possible to increase your chance of acceptance.
Original post by laugh72
Very much appreciated thank u so much. Do u think I should take business or will it put me down cus I mean it’s still an academic a level so it can’t be THAT easy
Reply 8
Hiiiii omg I can relate lol. Anyway, I’ll be completely honest, with those subjects you won’t be granted a place at Oxbridge, I know it sounds harsh but it’s the truth. However, you may not want to go to oxbridge and tbh loads of top unis would admit you with those subjects. Honestly, do what you enjoy and what you’re good at because the subjects if you enjoy your subject, you’re more likely to get a good grade. As said earlier in the thread an A* in Business Studies is better than a C in Economics🤷🏾*♀️. That’s just my advice. Also your friends seem annoying man, they should just let u live😩

Good luck w ur a levels and GCSEs; I’ve got mine this summer as well lol🤪

Quick Reply

Latest