The Student Room Group

Maths diagnostic test

I failed my maths mock test, now i am doing a diagnostic test to see whether ill do foundation or higher I'm not sure what tier the test will be
Original post by SBizzy
I failed my maths mock test, now i am doing a diagnostic test to see whether ill do foundation or higher I'm not sure what tier the test will be

If it is at all a properly designed test, it'll probably start at a grade 2-ish level and go up to about grade 6. If you make sure you are well covered on topics in that area (and on grade 1 if necessary), then you should be well placed for the diagnostic test. However, you and your parents should both stand absolutely against even entertaining the idea of doing foundation if you want to do higher. Doing higher is worth it. That's for sure.
Reply 2
Original post by Aayush :)
If it is at all a properly designed test, it'll probably start at a grade 2-ish level and go up to about grade 6. If you make sure you are well covered on topics in that area (and on grade 1 if necessary), then you should be well placed for the diagnostic test. However, you and your parents should both stand absolutely against even entertaining the idea of doing foundation if you want to do higher. Doing higher is worth it. That's for sure.

Yeah I don't want to do foundation, my target for maths is a 6 and I know I'm capable of getting it
Original post by SBizzy
Yeah I don't want to do foundation, my target for maths is a 6 and I know I'm capable of getting it

Make sure that if necessary, you get your parents involved and stand entirely against your teacher on the decision.
if you failed your mock higher, then really you need to be doing foundation paper.

If it's true that you are capable of getting a 6, then the question must be why did you fail the mock?

So. another set of questions for you:

what type of test did you do for the mock?

&

what was your score eg 5 out of 80 ? what was that as a percentage?

& finally

what were the highest & lowest scores in your class for this test?
Also ... what grade boundaries did the teachers use ?
i get why grade boundaries might be an issue. which is why i wanted to know the raw score
Original post by Aayush :)
Also ... what grade boundaries did the teachers use ?
Reply 7
I didn't get my papers yet, I've only got my results
Original post by begbie68
i get why grade boundaries might be an issue. which is why i wanted to know the raw score

if you failed your mock higher, then really you need to be doing foundation paper.

If it's true that you are capable of getting a 6, then the question must be why did you fail the mock?

So. another set of questions for you:

what type of test did you do for the mock?

&

what was your score eg 5 out of 80 ? what was that as a percentage?

& finally

what were the highest & lowest scores in your class for this test?
so what was your score?

Original post by SBizzy
I didn't get my papers yet, I've only got my results
Reply 9
I got a grade 3 unfortunately, most people in my class didn't pass and some cheated ...
so what was your score?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest