The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you think there is a double standard over NZ terror attack?

Sadiq Khan was the one who said terror attacks are just part and parcel of living in a big city. He reacted very differently to this attack.

People are still believing he isn't branded a terrorist because he's White, yet every piece of media I've seen brands him a terrorist.

Many celebs point finger at Trump, largely because he wanted to stop migrants coming in at a time when there were all those terror attacks going on in Europe.

But if you look at what helped turn Brenton Tennant into a terrorist it was clear he wanted revenge for terror attacks caused. He even put names of those killed by Islam on his weapon.

Open borders, migration and terrorist attacks helped create this.

Now onto Muslim terrorism I think we can agree that a lot of this is due to the Wests presence in the Middle East.

Why don't we all unite and start holding the politicians and their policies responsible?

Lets get out of Middle East and close borders
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m pretty sure he blamed open borders and immigration.

America and UK has mostly out of Syria. We are barely in the Middle East now. Why should we close borders? Trump doesn’t want to stop immigration. He wants to stop illegal immigration. He has no problem with legal immigration since it can be managed. Seems like you have been largely misinformed.
do you mean islamists? I'm just confused as you said 'killed by Islam'. Otherwise, I completely agree with you.
He, along with any other piece of scum who commit a terror attack, is solely to blame and deserves no sympathy. It’s not New Zealand foreign policy or immigration rules causing these attacks. It’s the perp pure and simple.

Let this vile piece of work be forgotten and let’s consider the victims and those who put themselves in danger to help others (have a go heroes, the police)
Sadiq Khan was the one who said terror attacks are just part and parcel of living in a big city. He reacted very differently to this attack.

[ You are twisting what was said in terms of context an meaning or you failed to understand what he said. He was talking in the context that large cities like London are always going to be the target for terrorists because it gets a lot of attention. He didnt say it was acceptable or should be tolerated So what is your point?]

People are still believing he isn't branded a terrorist because he's White, yet every piece of media I've seen brands him a terrorist.

[Which people, certainly no one significant or the general public think he is anything other than a terrorist/ very disturbed, human being]

Many celebs point finger at Trump, largely because he wanted to stop migrants coming in at a time when there were all those terror attacks going on in Europe.

[ The objection is he uses language that creates hostility towards immigrants, especially muslims, when all the attacks have been home grown and the worse number of mass shooters in the USA gave been white]

But if you look at what helped turn Brenton Tennant into a terrorist it was clear he wanted revenge for terror attacks caused. He even put names of those killed by Islam on his weapon.

[ Or because he was delusional and easily led. Attacks dont help though, just as this one wont have]

Open borders, migration and terrorist attacks helped create this.

[Terrorist attacks might have, but immigration has always happened. I didnt realsie NZ had open borders?]

Now onto Muslim terrorism I think we can agree that a lot of this is due to the Wests presence in the Middle East. [What about 9/11? Why do you think the West attacked Iraq in the first place? That was all Saddam ]

Why don't we all unite and start holding the politicians and their policies responsible?

Holding them responsible for what?

Lets get out of Middle East and close borders

We arent in the Middle East.
Why would we stop immigration? Its needed. Thats exactly what the white supremacists want, why do their bidding?
Mr Tarrant is an ignorant douche bag whose negligible IQ was lowered even further by the interwebs. at least in prison he will get regular sex unlike outside.
Original post by 999tigger

Why would we stop immigration? Its needed.

Hungary disagrees.
Original post by Justvisited
Hungary disagrees.

I'm not Hungarian are you?
Still doesnt make them right.
Oh my god.

You know what, I'm not refuting anything, I'm just leaving my personal take.

Yes, this man is a terrorist. He was a terrorist for a far-right cause. Was it wrong? Yes. Is he any different from ISIS? No. Was the terrorist attack a good thing? Absolutely not. Was it aimed at the right people? Of course it wasn't. But it was a revenge attack.

Of course, he is responsible for it. He thought about doing it, and he did do it. Nobody forced him to. But in his mind this was revenge for ISIS and other Islamic extremism. It wouldn't have happened if Islamic extremism didn't happen in the west.

Now, many people would say he's delusional and naive for thinking that these innocent muslims were the ones who needed to be punished for the terrorist attacks. I disagree. I think that he knew these muslims were innocent. The important part is that it was a revenge attack. Islamic extremists have killed thousands of innocent people in the west over the last 20-30 years. So perhaps in his mind, he was killing innocent Muslims as a tit for tat scenario, 'see how it feels to have innocent people in YOUR community be killed'. But then you get to the problem that ISIS and other Islamist organisations are probably happy that this attack took place, because these moderate muslims were just as heretic and non-Islamic in their minds as the people in the west they've attacked. We'll never truly know his thought process for sure.

Of course, this should go without saying but that doesn't justify the attacks. It is still a very reprehensible act to kill innocent people. This man deserves all the arse-rapes and beatings he will get in prison.

Unfortunately you can't bury your head in the sand and say this was a completely unprovoked attack that had nothing to do with the actions of others in power. Open borders, uncontrolled immigration, Islamic extremism, attitudes towards Islamic extremism and uncontrolled immigration, and the general reluctance to do anything about Islamic criminals and extremists/jihadists in fears of being labelled racist and Islamophobic (Rotherham grooming gangs are one example, heard about a similar case in Telford, the labelling of extremism watchlists as Islamophobic because they watch suspected extremists/jihadists, we could go on) all contributed to this man's feeling of being attacked by Islam. People will say I'm making excuses for him, but plenty of people use the same excuses of western intervention in the Middle East as fuelling extremism which it undoubtedly has, and I don't see these reasons behind him committing this act any different than saying that about Islamic terrorism.

P.S. Before some idiot pulls me up on calling it 'Islamic', yes it is Islamic, I don't care about extremists supposedly not following true Islam, what matters is that they are Islamic extremists and jihadists, that is what they are so I will call them that, if you are a muslim and don't agree with extremism, then that's great to hear you're a normal sane person, the fact that you're a moderate means you are the opposite of an extremist, so the term 'Islamic extremist/Islamist/Jihadist' tells itself that you're not part of that group.
Sorry for the mini-rant at the end
Original post by Cryoraptor
Oh my god.

This is just thinly veiled terror sympathising.
What would you say, everyone else say if you saw someone say what you have said about the Manchester attack or 7/7 or even 9/11. What if someone said this about those attacks:

Spoiler

Im sure anyone who said the above about Manchester, 7/7 or 9/11 would be classed as a terrorist sympathiser and rightly so. And here you clearly are giving sympathy and a wishy washy weak sympathy for this terrorist attack and the extremist ideology behind it (that this attack was provoked by the ''invaders'')
I find this extremely troubling, dangerous and the seed for the indoctrination of extremists and terrorists
(edited 5 years ago)
No, I'm not sympathising with it. It was a completely unjustified attack. I don't think those innocent people deserved it. You're reading too much into it; I'm simply saying in his mind, it was justified by all these problems. If someone said the recent Islamic extremist attacks were somewhat provoked by western intervention in the middle east, I'd agree with them, because it definitely put fuel in the fire and helped anti-western sentiment in those cases. I'm saying the exact same thing here; there were some provocations for it. Again, that doesn't make it right by any means. It's completely wrong. All I'm saying is that the will to do something like this builds up over time of perceived issues around someone. No far-right attacks on mosques ever happened before Islamic extremism and other things I listed in the west. It's a revenge attack.
I apologise if this doesn't come out properly, it's hard to explain my feelings on this by text. I'm trying my best. If it appears that I'm saying it was justified, I'm absolutely not. I don't condone the attack whatsoever. I just think that there are reasons (albeit not justifiable) behind him doing this. I'm not saying I think muslims are invaders, I'm saying that this man thought they are. Again, my apologies for not making that more clear.

And no, you don't have to worry about me. I have no far-right sympathies and no wishes to harm any innocent people. In another thread you'll see that the one time I was racist in retaliation I ended up regretting it because I'm not a racist person and being racist makes me feel bad. I'm not going to be committing any terrorist attacks anytime soon.
Original post by Al-farhan
This is just thinly veiled terror sympathising.
What would you say, everyone else say if you saw someone say what you have said about the Manchester attack or 7/7 or even 9/11. What if someone said this about those attacks:

Spoiler

Im sure anyone who said the above about Manchester, 7/7 or 9/11 would be classed as a terrorist sympathiser and rightly so. And here you clearly are giving sympathy and a wishy washy weak sympathy for this terrorist attack and the extremist ideology behind it (that this attack was provoked by the ''invaders'')
I find this extremely troubling, dangerous and the seed for the indoctrination of extremists and terrorists
Sadiq Khan did not say that. He said that being prepared for such attacks & being vigilant was part and parcel of living in a big city.

Which of course it is - all cities have disaster plans in place. Lots of cities conduct police training days where they simulate an attack. Every country has an intelligence service designed to prevent these things from happening.

Plus, his comments about preparedness would apply just as equally to a far-right attack as to an Islamist attack. There's no double standard.

Latest

Trending

Trending