The Student Room Group

Tips for University Open Days

I'm in year 12 and I'm starting to look at universities so open days. What are the best tups and tricks for getting the most out of the day and what are the must sees when I go.

Scroll to see replies

Plan your day. Try to arrive early to give yourself more time and the option to sit and think between things. Ask questions. Don’t worry too much about touring accommodation - usually the tours will be show flats so they won’t give you that much of an insight. Instead go to any accommodation talks and ask the students you meet whether they’re living in halls and what is good/bad about their hall.
Take a good bag and a drink. Make sure that your phone is charged and take lots of pictures and notes.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Plan your day. Try to arrive early to give yourself more time and the option to sit and think between things. Ask questions. Don’t worry too much about touring accommodation - usually the tours will be show flats so they won’t give you that much of an insight. Instead go to any accommodation talks and ask the students you meet whether they’re living in halls and what is good/bad about their hall.
Take a good bag and a drink. Make sure that your phone is charged and take lots of pictures and notes.

Thank you so much for the advice! I will definitely do that then!
Original post by emxly2001
I'm in year 12 and I'm starting to look at universities so open days. What are the best tups and tricks for getting the most out of the day and what are the must sees when I go.

My 5 top tips:
1. Come with an open mind. There is a lot to explore at Open Days. You might discover some courses and opportunities that you weren’t aware of before!
2. Ask. Ask. Ask. Ask lots of questions. I suggest bringing a list of questions with you and making notes.
3. Take time to explore the university, both the facilities and the accommodation. Can you see yourself walking down those halls?
4. Take a coffee/lunch break. Enjoy the day.
5. And finally, Open Days are jam-packed and many universities are bustling with tours and talks so plan your day for sure!
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
My 5 top tips:
1. Come with an open mind. There is a lot to explore at Open Days. You might discover some courses and opportunities that you weren’t aware of before!
2. Ask. Ask. Ask. Ask lots of questions. I suggest bringing a list of questions with you and making notes.
3. Take time to explore the university, both the facilities and the accommodation. Can you see yourself walking down those halls?
5. And finally, Open Days are jam-packed and many universities are bustling with tours and talks so plan your day for sure!

Just to add on to this, see if you can find some time to explore the city/area near your university! For me it really helped me choose between my top two universities. It's really important to make sure you like the area you'll potentially be living in for the next few years.

Lucy
Reply 5
Original post by University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
My 5 top tips:

Thank you so much! This was so helpful, I'm actually wanting to look around UEA as I'm wanting to study Paramedic Science!
Reply 6
Original post by hallamstudents
Just to add on to this, see if you can find some time to explore the city/area near your university! For me it really helped me choose between my top two universities. It's really important to make sure you like the area you'll potentially be living in for the next few years.

Lucy

Ahh yes! That definitely sounds like something I should do! I'm aspiring to visit Hallam sometime soon too!
I’d definitely recommend taking pictures, especially if you’re going to lots of open days! For my dad and I, they all started to blur together and we wished we’d taken photos so we could remember one set of accommodation or dining hall from another 😂
Reply 8
Original post by BlueEyedGirl_
I’d definitely recommend taking pictures, especially if you’re going to lots of open days! For my dad and I, they all started to blur together and we wished we’d taken photos so we could remember one set of accommodation or dining hall from another 😂

I'm aiming to go to at least 3 but yes that does seem like such a good idea! That was soon helpful!
Ahh yes! That definitely sounds like something I should do! I'm aspiring to visit Hallam sometime soon too!

That's great to hear! Hallam has two campuses- one in the city centre (very close to the station) and one outside the city centre. Which one you'd be studying at depends on your course.

What course have you applied for/thinking of applying to?

Lucy

I used to make a list of my most important criteria and rate the uni out of 10 on each of them, then make notes to explain why I'd given them those scores. It was a good way of comparing each of the unis once I'd seen all of them and was really useful in making my final decision.
Take advantage of every tour you can like halls tours campus tours and especially city tours ask loads of questions at the end have a bite in the student canteen or coffee shop by the end you should have a good feel for the place. Enjoy it it’s an exciting time.

Hi @emxly2001

The next undergraduate open day at Sheffield Hallam is Saturday 29th June. If you are interested you can book your place here: https://www4.shu.ac.uk/opendays/book-place/new/open-day/C6021960-F86B-4A61-835F-8C0095B6E93C

Our undergraduate open days are an opportunity to find out more about the course you are interested in and get all of your questions answered. You can also take a tour of our campuses, accommodation and the city and learn more about the support services available.

We hope to see you at an open day soon! :smile:

Thanks,
Helen
(edited 5 years ago)

I would definitely recommend taking time to visit not only the university but also the town/city which will be your home for 3-4 years, it can make a big difference to how you feel about a uni.
Also don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how simple they may be
Reply 14
Original post by hallamstudents
That's great to hear! Hallam has two campuses- one in the city centre (very close to the station) and one outside the city centre. Which one you'd be studying at depends on your course.

What course have you applied for/thinking of applying to?

Lucy

Paramedic Science
Reply 15
Original post by umbrellala
I used to make a list of my most important criteria and rate the uni out of 10 on each of them, then make notes to explain why I'd given them those scores. It was a good way of comparing each of the unis once I'd seen all of them and was really useful in making my final decision.

Thank you! That does seem like such a useful thing to do!
Reply 16
Original post by jonathanemptage
Take advantage of every tour you can like halls tours campus tours and especially city tours ask loads of questions at the end have a bite in the student canteen or coffee shop by the end you should have a good feel for the place. Enjoy it it’s an exciting time.

Ahh yes! That does seem like a good plan!
Reply 17
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @emxly2001

The next undergraduate open day at Sheffield Hallam is Saturday 29th June. If you are interested you can book your place here: https://www4.shu.ac.uk/opendays/book-place/new/open-day/C6021960-F86B-4A61-835F-8C0095B6E93C

Our undergraduate open days are an opportunity to find out more about the course you are interested in and get all of your questions answered. You can also take a tour of our campuses, accommodation and the city and learn more about the support services available.

We hope to see you at an open day soon! :smile:

Thanks,
Helen

I will sure sign up for that! Thank you so much for the help!
Reply 18
Original post by izzyjwin
I would definitely recommend taking time to visit not only the university but also the town/city which will be your home for 3-4 years, it can make a big difference to how you feel about a uni.
Also don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how simple they may be

Yes, that is such a good idea, thank you! I will definitely ask a load of questions!
A lot of talks will be repeated at every university - finance for example - so you only really need to go to one of these otherwise you'll just be hearing lots of repeated information rather than using that time for something more productive.

Quick Reply

Latest