The Student Room Group

It's all science!

I think that everything can be explained by science and the only reason humanity came up with an idea of a god is because they cannot accept the fact that they do die and must die and that nothing comes after they die.
What you saw in January 1456. you'll see after you die. I think everyone is already aware of it but they just can't accept it as a fact.
It's only my opinion, I wasn"t trying to ruin your day.
Feel free to share yours.
Well of course it can, even if the things we don't have explanations for *yet* will be explained one day, obviously not in our lifetimes though.

You will also get people who have been raised with a religion, and I mean this with no disrespect to them or their families, who will engage in 'positive confirmation' thinking and attempt to shoe-horn scientific developments/theories into their belief systems, e.g. 'God started evolution', etc. People really struggle to get rid of an idea that was given to them at a very young age, and the fact that very few people change or leave religions shows this.
how old are you lol
Original post by hmdoesntmatter
I think that everything can be explained by science and the only reason humanity came up with an idea of a god is because they cannot accept the fact that they do die and must die and that nothing comes after they die.
What you saw in January 1456. you'll see after you die. I think everyone is already aware of it but they just can't accept it as a fact.
It's only my opinion, I wasn"t trying to ruin your day.
Feel free to share yours.

I feel like we don't know a lot, really a tiny bit. But I believe that there is a bigger player at work here, God. I believe this necbeca I think he has left us signs, and history of religion seems to fit together so rationally and perfectly. I feel like the Ruth uttered in these books are no coincidence
Original post by jonathanjames
I feel like we don't know a lot, really a tiny bit. But I believe that there is a bigger player at work here, God. I believe this necbeca I think he has left us signs, and history of religion seems to fit together so rationally and perfectly. I feel like the Ruth uttered in these books are no coincidence

I respect what you're saying, but I have to wonder why, if there is a higher being, would it be anything that a human has written? And since we know that life came to use from space - that is, single-celled organisms on meteors when the earth was still in its infancy, why would God reveal himself to his prophets on Earth 200,000 years after Humans began to walk, when the infinite space of the universe is 8 billion years older than us?
Original post by esralled
I respect what you're saying, but I have to wonder why, if there is a higher being, would it be anything that a human has written? And since we know that life came to use from space - that is, single-celled organisms on meteors when the earth was still in its infancy, why would God reveal himself to his prophets on Earth 200,000 years after Humans began to walk, when the infinite space of the universe is 8 billion years older than us?

Precisely....It's all completely illogical.
Original post by esralled

It's a good point, and it is understandable why you would ask that. You see, I personally believe that the time stated in the Quran is all relative, you know, we say God created the world in seven days, what if one day represents a couple of hundred million years? We say Adam was created by God, what if that process really was evolution, taking place over thousands of years? My point is, is that we don't know, much of the stuff of religion is up for debate and hypothesising. Sounds like a weak argument right? But if we think about it, it isn't that bad, can we understand an omnipotent being? What do we really know about this being and how he works? Not a lot. How do we know that God ACTUALLY revealed himself when humans were in those seemingly "prophetless" stages. Then you may ask how we have faith in this God? Well, we have deduced from what we know, and what has been shown. Sorry If I haven't answered it a bit vaguely, but I'm not going to try to contact you by spouting some philosophical pleonasm. Truth is, we can't rationalise to produce a fact, only a hypothesis. That is why, I believe that the Muslims and Christians who believe that evolution never occurred are most likely wrong.
Why does being able to see a scientific/natural explanation for any event remove God from it?

Take any event; lightning, thunder, the tides, anything that used to kinda freak people out when it occurred because they felt God was angry with them. I mdean, we can explain a lot of phnomenona now with science but why does that make it impossible for God not to have been the creator of it?
Original post by yankeedog1953
Why does being able to see a scientific/natural explanation for any event remove God from it?

Take any event; lightning, thunder, the tides, anything that used to kinda freak people out when it occurred because they felt God was angry with them. I mdean, we can explain a lot of phnomenona now with science but why does that make it impossible for God not to have been the creator of it?

If science can explain it, then why do you need to postulate that "god" caused it? There's no logical reason to assume that a god, whatever that might be, caused every phenomena in nature. This kind of teleological thinking, that everything needs a cause, is just a property of human psychology; human beings think in terms of cause leading to effect, so we assume that natural phenomena (i.e. the world, or even universe), around us must also work that way. But there's nothing to suggest that it does. Quantum mechanics is also discovering that particles can exist in two places at one given moment.

The idea of a god is the biggest anthropomorphism ever; assuming that everything in the world works the way human beings (or our minds, rather) do.
I personally believe that the things in our world are too complex and specific to just be started from a big bang out of nowhere. Plus it's like what created the things that started the big bang.
Controversial, but I believe religion began innocently enough as a way for humans to comprehend the way things are such as the stars and the moon etc, and then eventually became a tool to unite populations (think crusades) and control them through fear of upsetting the gods and the prospect of eternal damnation through whatever manifestation of hell a particular religion promotes.

I believe it is an outdated system of getting other people to do what you want them to do indirectly through fear of punishment after death.

EDIT:

By outdated I mean there are now better ways to unite populations. Take nationalism for example. Before there was nation states there were 2 things you could fight for - your king, or your god. Nationalism brought about the notion that as a collective, you would fight for your country and people. Look at how popular Hitler was in Germany. If he had been around 2000 years earlier he would have probably been the catalyst for his own religion. The same goes for Ghandi and Indian nationalism.
Original post by yankeedog1953

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Hiro2468
I personally believe that the things in our world are too complex and specific to just be started from a big bang out of nowhere. Plus it's like what created the things that started the big bang.

Please see my comment above. There's no reason to suppose that everything in the natural world has a 'cause', in the way that human beings understand that word.
We think in terms of cause --> effect because that is how our brains work, that's how we think about the world. It doesn't mean that natural matter all abides by this.

Anyway, even if the Big Bang does have a 'cause', that initial cause does not have to be god. Who created god? And who created god's creator? See how circular that is. And if your answer is that "god doesn't need a creator, god has just always been there", then why not stop at, "the universe doesn't need a creator, the universe has always been there.

As I say, see my earlier post.
science does not and can not determine all things. we would not have philosophy if it did.
Original post by Shellbeach
Please see my comment above. There's no reason to suppose that everything in the natural world has a 'cause', in the way that human beings understand that word.
We think in terms of cause --> effect because that is how our brains work, that's how we think about the world. It doesn't mean that natural matter all abides by this.

Anyway, even if the Big Bang does have a 'cause', that initial cause does not have to be god. Who created god? And who created god's creator? See how circular that is. And if your answer is that "god doesn't need a creator, god has just always been there", then why not stop at, "the universe doesn't need a creator, the universe has always been there.

As I say, see my earlier post.

doesn't theory about big bang describe that the universe had not always existed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending