The Student Room Group

can i obtain a ppl if i beconr a dron pilot in the raf

hello quick queation i was thinking of bexoming a IRCREWREMOTELY PILOTED AIRCRAFT SYSTEM (RPAS) PILOT
in the raf and wonderid if i would gain a ppl fro joining in / during my training
Reply 1
Original post by TheLostHDPenguin
hello quick queation i was thinking of bexoming a IRCREWREMOTELY PILOTED AIRCRAFT SYSTEM (RPAS) PILOT
in the raf and wonderid if i would gain a ppl fro joining in / during my training

I know zero about the RAF training process but I doubt remote piloting a drone is similar enough to actually flying a light aircraft. I imagine you would have to do a PPL in your own time.

But I'm sure actual experts will be along soon..
Reply 2
Original post by Doones
I know zero about the RAF training process but I doubt remote piloting a drone is similar enough to actually flying a light aircraft. I imagine you would have to do a PPL in your own time.

But I'm sure actual experts will be along soon..

A few years ago RPAS pilots were doing a longer syllabus on light aircraft than pilots streamed other platforms so with a few top up lessons/exams it’s entirely possible for an RPAS pilot to obtain a PPL, just don’t expect one for free via the training system alone.
Original post by TheLostHDPenguin

Hi

You won't gain a PPL, you'd need to take further steps to get that from the CAA. However, you will be taught to fly from scratch and you'll go through Elementary Flight Training the same as all of our other pilots do.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
You can just use your RAF pay to fund a PPL yourself??
Reply 5
I think a priority for this individual would be to have some lessons on spelling and grammer first
If you're going to comment on spelling and grammar, I'd make sure you also know yours!
Original post by Y333EEE
I think a priority for this individual would be to have some lessons on spelling and grammer first
Reply 7
Original post by TheYehman
If you're going to comment on spelling and grammar, I'd make sure you also know yours!

Good point, well presented! Will take note for next time.

Quick Reply

Latest