The Student Room Group

I sort of ate more than i should today

I decided to eat before 6pm today. I feel full and I hate that feeling. I feel sick and guilty and wish I could throw it all up (I tried). I didn’t keep count of how much I ate today because I’m scared it’ll go over the calorie count. I also ate before midnight. I’m scared to wake up tomorrow and check the scale.

Scroll to see replies

Chill out, sometimes it happens. What's your goal and how many calories do you eat?
What are the rules that you have for yourself?
Reply 3
Original post by Mruczega
Chill out, sometimes it happens. What's your goal and how many calories do you eat?

I usually eat 500-1000 calories a day and my goal is to lose weight
This sounds like an eating disorder, especially the vomiting part
Original post by Anonymous
I usually eat 500-1000 calories a day and my goal is to lose weight

Ok, that's way too little. You're gonna end up binging a lot after and it will make you gain it all back quickly. I recommend going to 1200-1500 a day. You will lose weight at 1,500 trust me. The fact that you lost count and you think you ate more than you should suggest that you're probably tired of the routine, hungry and your body might be starting to think about food all the time. You need to eat more and distract yourself as your strict restriction will only make you go wild.
Reply 6
Original post by CoolCavy
This sounds like an eating disorder, especially the vomiting part

*i tried* I just felt disgusted
*i tried* I just felt disgusted

It doesnt matter whether you 'succeeded' or not, if someone tries to self harm but doesnt break the skin the intent to harm is still there
you need to see your GP and get some help.
Reply 8
Ok, that's way too little. You're gonna end up binging a lot after and it will make you gain it all back quickly. I recommend going to 1200-1500 a day. You will lose weight at 1,500 trust me. The fact that you lost count and you think you ate more than you should suggest that you're probably tired of the routine, hungry and your body might be starting to think about food all the time. You need to eat more and distract yourself as your strict restriction will only make you go wild.

I usually know exactly what I’m eating but I don’t know why I did that today.
Reply 9
Get help, this screams disordered to me. It's not safe.
I usually know exactly what I’m eating but I don’t know why I did that today.

Up the calories, your body is starving and this will happen more and more often. You will end up losing weight over time but it will be dreadful. Plus 500-1000 calories in unhealthy for your body. I supposed you're starving yourself to make yourself look even better than you already do. Slow down or else you will end up not liking the results.

What's your height, gender and how much do you weigh?
Original post by SanityGone
What are the rules that you have for yourself?

Drink 8 cups of water before you have a meal
Know the calories before you eat something
Don’t eat before 6pm and stop eating by 8pm.
Walk almost everywhere
Do anything to reach 68kg
Weigh yourself at least twice a day
Up the calories, your body is starving and this will happen more and more often. You will end up losing weight over time but it will be dreadful. Plus 500-1000 calories in unhealthy for your body. I supposed you're starving yourself to make yourself look even better than you already do. Slow down or else you will end up not liking the results.

What's your height, gender and how much do you weigh?

I will try and plan my meals out to reach 1,500+
I’m a female, I weigh 71kg and I’m 5’6
I’m over weight I can’t possibly have an eating disorder right?
I have seen breakfast muffins with more calories than your daily intake. And I ate them as well. Well, they were delicious tbh.

You definitely can have an eating disorder. Eating disorders aren't (entirely) based on weight. Only anorexia nervosa (binge/purge and restrictive) has a weight criterion, and even then if you're exhibiting behaviours of someone with AN but your BMI is above 17.5 then you will likely be diagnosed with atypical anorexia nervosa.
Original post by 1Person
I have seen breakfast muffins with more calories than your daily intake. And I ate them as well. Well, they were delicious tbh.

Tbh I was like that before. I never cared at all but I suddenly changed when I got a scale
Tbh I was like that before. I never cared at all but I suddenly changed when I got a scale

Throw the scale out of the window.
Problem solved.
Honey your BMI is 25.25, you’re at the top end of the healthy weight range, so need to lose under a kilo to be in there - before you even consider that BMI is flawed anyway.

The rules and restrictions that you’ve set for yourself are not healthy or normal. Your blood sugar and electrolytes will be all over the place. I’d guess that you feel a lack of energy and motivation, probably quite anxious a lot of the time and that your skin and hair look like an older person. How is your sleep pattern too?

No one online can diagnose you as having an eating disorder. But the pattern of eating you describe is disordered. Lots of people want to lose a bit of weight, but it needs to be done in a way that is healthy and sustainable. As others have said, you need to be eating at least 1500 calories a day - more if you do sport. Can you talk to a parent or doctor who can help you lose a bit of weight in a safer way?

And weighing yourself twice a day won’t give you any useful information. Weight changes all the time, due to food and drink but also due to fluid balance which is quite dependent on hormones, exercise can have an effect, when you last went to the loo and so on. For people who are trying to lose weight it’s recommended to weigh no more than once a week.
(edited 5 years ago)

Hello dear,

People of any weight can have eating disorders. I know that anxious feeling associated with eating too much so well. I understand you may want to lose weight, however there are far more effective ways to do this. Your maintenance calories is probably going to be around 1500 calories, though if your activity levels are high probably 1800-2000. I would advise you to eat 1300-1500 a calories a day, starting with maybe some porridge for breakfast with fruit (300-400 calories), a lunch with some protein (600) and dinner as well with any remaining calories. This will be sustainable for you long term. The body restricts its fat content when you eat too little as it goes into 'starvation' mode, so though you might think the most effective way to lose weight is to starve yourself, that is not the case. Eating 250 ish calories below your maintenance OR exercising each day so that you're in a 250 deficit will be sufficient. I hope that you take my advice! You will lose weight and feel much happier and less anxious. From the sounds of it you have developed an ED but you probably just need some support around you. Food is just fuel. Remember that over-eating is not something you should ever feel guilty over. Remind yourself that the anxious feeling you have surrounding food is your eating disorder, not rational thoughts. Lots of love and I hope that you take some of my advice and feel better soon x
Original post by SanityGone
No one online can diagnose you as having an eating disorder. But the pattern of eating you describe is disordered.

:dontknow: :judge:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending